Status
Not open for further replies.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
51JfKLfk2SL.jpg

Well do you Punk..... How many people still vape on a mesh wick on a daily basis.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm curious to hear thoughts on mesh wick with mesh coil ;)
I've thought about it, but seems like a lot of work to make a mesh wick...then again I eat through wicks a lot with my juice, it's a coil gunker
Derp. Conceptual dyslexia strikes again. :facepalm:

I haven’t vaped a mesh wick in years. I don’t have a working atty that will even take one any more. I looked recently. They’re great for MTL though after you get them working right. Flavor is really clean and they last a long time. I wonder how they would do with a bit of modern vape technology thrown at them. They’re from back in the “tilt and vape” era, and they could leak if not held upright. Both issues would have to be fixed.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I will be when next month rolls around I think. Gonna buy a profile RDA and see if it squonks like one of these big ghetto radiator coils I’ve been failing to wrap reliably.

Take note that the Profile squonks differently than most other RDA’s. With that amount of cotton directly over the squonk pin, it does present a bit of back pressure which means you have to squeeze the bottle longer and harder than usual. And if you are in the habit of letting the wick run nearly dry, you will have to give quite a number of squeezes to get all that cotton saturated. Small learning curve!

The density of your wick also plays a role in how it squonks. Too dense, and the and the juice wells up around the wick. Not a problem but thinner juices may leak out the air flow holes if it well’s up that high. With the correct density, juice is pushed through the cotton and ooze’s out over the mesh. Either or does not affect the quality of the vape, as long as the wick gets fully saturated. The Wotofo shoe lace cotton that comes with the RDA (and can be purchased separately) is the perfect density. Little trial and error with other types of cotton/rayon and you’ll find that perfect density.

Mcowan226

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Derp. Conceptual dyslexia strikes again. :facepalm:

I haven’t vaped a mesh wick in years. I don’t have a working atty that will even take one any more. I looked recently. They’re great for MTL though after you get them working right. Flavor is really clean and they last a long time. I wonder how they would do with a bit of modern vape technology thrown at them. They’re from back in the “tilt and vape” era, and they could leak if not held upright. Both issues would have to be fixed.

Mesh coil as in the newer mesh sub ohm style coils? Or mesh cord. I use mesh cord on a mesh wick. Great vape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Mesh coil as in the newer mesh sub ohm style coils? Or mesh cord. I use mesh cord on a mesh wick. Great vape.

I dunno what mesh coil. Never heard of mesh cord. Mesh wick was this old school stuff used in genesis atomizers. They were a lot like RDTAs but with a few differences. You rolled up a piece of really fine mesh stainless screen really tight into a tube and burned it repeatedly till it was covered in carbon, which acted as a low voltage insulator. The tube was straight up and down through a hole in the deck. You did a vertical coil on one end of the mesh wick, and capillary action pulled the juice from the tank up to the vape chamber.

There were a couple of advantages and disadvantages:
Pros:
-You could dry burn the coil with the wick in it, so the wick lasted as long as the coil did or longer. Once they were set up and working they’d go for months and months.
-Because the wick was stainless the flavor was unusually clean and bright
Cons:
-the mesh wicks would pull juice, but not a ton of it, so they were MTL only.
-They also wouldn’t make a seal with the hole in the deck, so if you tipped them over they leaked.
-Since the wick was straight up and down, when you got near the bottom of a tank there wouldn’t be a lot of wick in the juice any more. The solution was to tilt the vape to wet the wick:”tilt and vape”

There were variants for a while such as porous ceramic rods used in place of the stainless steel. They eventually turned into ceramic coils I think. Not sure about that one.

Starting to have thoughts about how this might be turned into something with modern uses. A very very long lasting wick coil combo maybe that could be made at home and used like a large coil cartridge that could be dry burned. Have to draw pictures. IPhones suck for drawing pictures. Oh well.

Mcowan226

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
I dunno what mesh coil. Never heard of mesh cord. Mesh wick was this old school stuff used in genesis atomizers. They were a lot like RDTAs but with a few differences. You rolled up a piece of really fine mesh stainless screen really tight into a tube and burned it repeatedly till it was covered in carbon, which acted as a low voltage insulator. The tube was straight up and down through a hole in the deck. You did a vertical coil on one end of the mesh wick, and capillary action pulled the juice from the tank up to the vape chamber.

There were a couple of advantages and disadvantages:
Pros:
-You could dry burn the coil with the wick in it, so the wick lasted as long as the coil did or longer. Once they were set up and working they’d go for months and months.
-Because the wick was stainless the flavor was unusually clean and bright
Cons:
-the mesh wicks would pull juice, but not a ton of it, so they were MTL only.
-They also wouldn’t make a seal with the hole in the deck, so if you tipped them over they leaked.
-Since the wick was straight up and down, when you got near the bottom of a tank there wouldn’t be a lot of wick in the juice any more. The solution was to tilt the vape to wet the wick:”tilt and vape”

There were variants for a while such as porous ceramic rods used in place of the stainless steel. They eventually turned into ceramic coils I think. Not sure about that one.

Starting to have thoughts about how this might be turned into something with modern uses. A very very long lasting wick coil combo maybe that could be made at home and used like a large coil cartridge that could be dry burned. Have to draw pictures. IPhones suck for drawing pictures. Oh well.

Look a couple posts up. It’s a photo of my current genny with a mesh wick and mesh cord coil. This atty is less then 2 months old. As for more modern applications, people are using mesh wick rolls in RTAs like the dvarw. Mtl or restricted lung hits are fine. My thunderbolt can be built with dual mesh rolls and coils if wanted, but I prefer the tight draw and high Nic. Tobacco flavors never tasted this good on cotton.

• Creative
Reactions: Sed8op8

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Look a couple posts up. It’s a photo of my current genny with a mesh wick and mesh cord coil. This atty is less then 2 months old. As for more modern applications, people are using mesh wick rolls in RTAs like the dvarw. Mtl or restricted lung hits are fine. My thunderbolt can be built with dual mesh rolls and coils if wanted, but I prefer the tight draw and high Nic. Tobacco flavors never tasted this good on cotton.

Saw the photo. Hard to tell age. That thing doesn’t look any different than a back-in-the-day genesis style. The U shaped bit on the deck is new to me. Not sure what that’s for.
There was a thing for a while of rewick omg evo microcoils with mesh wicks. Worked pretty well iirc. It really helped that they were short.

The issue iirc was the things just don’t bend well. It can be done but it’s kind of a PITA. Most attys just aren’t designed for mesh wicks, and you still have the tipping issue. I got a theory involving multiple coils and silicone caulk. Get enough MTL coils and you got pretty good DL. SMOK of all organizations proved that one. If you can dry burn with the wick in place manufacturing and maintainance suddenly get very easy very fast. The only remaining questions are how well does silicone take to carbon coated stainless, and can a 3d printable jig be developed to make casting a coil cartridge home brew simple.

Mcowan226

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Saw the photo. Hard to tell age. That thing doesn’t look any different than a back-in-the-day genesis style. The U shaped bit on the deck is new to me. Not sure what that’s for.
There was a thing for a while of rewick omg evo microcoils with mesh wicks. Worked pretty well iirc. It really helped that they were short.

The issue iirc was the things just don’t bend well. It can be done but it’s kind of a PITA. Most attys just aren’t designed for mesh wicks, and you still have the tipping issue. I got a theory involving multiple coils and silicone caulk. Get enough MTL coils and you got pretty good DL. SMOK of all organizations proved that one. If you can dry burn with the wick in place manufacturing and maintainance suddenly get very easy very fast. The only remaining questions are how well does silicone take to carbon coated stainless, and can a 3d printable jig be developed to make casting a coil cartridge home brew simple.

Silicone caulk?? Wouldn’t that melt? You don’t have to bend mesh wick any more for Rda’s. Tipping isn’t necessary if you build correctly. You can find mesh cord, mesh sheets, rolled curved mesh wicks, etc. at:

Vaper's Breath

The u shakes bit on the deck basically reduces the chamber size of the atty to intensify flavor. Otherwise you are correct, genesis atty’s haven’t changed much in style, not many people make them anymore. It’s a niche market, and mostly found from modders in Eastern Europe.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Silicone caulk?? Wouldn’t that melt?
nope. Silicone is fantastically heat resistant and is a pretty good heat conductor to boot. It’s standard for engine block gaskets these days. The issue is there are many kinds, and you’ll need stuff that doesn’t put gas
You don’t have to bend mesh wick any more for Rda’s.
For RDAs no. For RTAs generally yes. Still, for MTL squonking there might be something there
Tipping isn’t necessary if you build correctly. You can find mesh cord, mesh sheets, rolled curved mesh wicks, etc. at:

Vaper's Breath
looks like “mesh cord” is exotic coil wire, kind of. Not uninteresting stuff though. I can see some exotic coil winders taking an interest in it.
The u shakes bit on the deck basically reduces the chamber size of the atty to intensify flavor. Otherwise you are correct, genesis atty’s haven’t changed much in style, not many people make them anymore. It’s a niche market, and mostly found from modders in Eastern Europe.
someone mentioned a book in Russian about genesis atty improvements a while back. Was looking for a translator. The whole thing disappeared from view. Not sure what came of it. Might be an interesting read, but written Russian is exceptionally difficult for EU and USA people to deal with.

Mcowan226

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
nope. Silicone is fantastically heat resistant and is a pretty good heat conductor to boot. It’s standard for engine block gaskets these days.

Normal operating temperature for a modern gas engine is 195-220 degrees Fahrenheit. In TC I vape at 480 degrees. Glowing coils for dry burns exceed 1200 degrees. Silicone is stable to 572. So slightly higher then the temp it takes to start torching cotton.

• Informative
Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Normal operating temperature for a modern gas engine is 195-220 degrees Fahrenheit. In TC I vape at 480 degrees. Glowing coils for dry burns exceed 1200 degrees. Silicone is stable to 572. So slightly higher then the temp it takes to start torching cotton.

Well crap. And the stuff I was thinking of using is only good to 450f. Plus at very high temps it seems to release formaldehyde. I got zero ways to seal mesh wicks from leakage now. Hmm.... there’s cast ceremics, but they’d need to have very similar heat expansion characteristics as the wick itself and they’re an order of magnitude more annoying to work with. It can be done. There are coils that do it. I don’t know enough about the chemistry to do it though clearly.

Mcowan226

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Well crap. And the stuff I was thinking of using is only good to 450f. Plus at very high temps it seems to release formaldehyde. I got zero ways to seal mesh wicks from leakage now. Hmm.... there’s cast ceremics, but they’d need to have very similar heat expansion characteristics as the wick itself and they’re an order of magnitude more annoying to work with. It can be done. There are coils that do it. I don’t know enough about the chemistry to do it though clearly.

Well hang on now. Formaldehyde....there are some folks who might enjoy that[emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Seriously though, with the right mesh grade, measures an rolled correctly, it wicks very well and doesn’t leak, provided you aren’t using anything thinner then 60/40 or 50/50 at the thinnest. Try searching “mesh wicking a dvarw rta.” If you can’t find it elsewhere the KHW Facebook page has people that can help. Good luck dude. I’m going to bed.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well hang on now. Formaldehyde....there are some folks who might enjoy that[emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]
well not me. Formaldehyde is one of the cigarette chemicals the prevention of which vaping was invented. Kind of defeats the point.
Seriously though, with the right mesh grade, measures an rolled correctly, it wicks very well and doesn’t leak, provided you aren’t using anything thinner then 60/40 or 50/50 at the thinnest.
you’re talking about the wick itself leaking. I’m talking about the space between the wick and the deck.
Try searching “mesh wicking a dvarw rta.” If you can’t find it elsewhere the KHW Facebook page has people that can help. Good luck dude. I’m going to bed.
I don’t do Facebook. That whole industry desperately needs some legal boundaries and they don’t have any.
The only reason they were allowed to exist in the first place is they and google promised up and down to provide those boundaries themselves, which they very clearly lied up and down about.
Google and Facebook more than any other two companies reinforce the concept for me that corporations CANNOT be trusted to police themselves.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
The only mesh wick atty I still have is a No Gain by No Name. I drilled it's AFC out for DL, used 400X400 SS mesh for the wick and ran it on a mech Reo Grand. But I haven't used it for years. About all I vape now days is mesh RDA's on mech and regulated squonk mods. Have 3 VV Mesh, 9 Digiflavor Mesh Pro's and 9 Wotofo Profiles.

ngnn.jpg ngnn1.jpg ngnn2.jpg ngnn3.jpg nogain.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread