The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

DOA warranty replacement

Discussion in 'Smokeless Image' started by SubGothius, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SubGothius

SubGothius Full Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have recommended Smokeless Image to many people, not least because of your stellar customer service reputation; however, one of my friends recently related an experience with SI support that I found rather concerning, and which has turned her from an SI loyalist to a detractor, and gives me pause in recommending SI to others, though we may reconsider our opinions if this matter can be resolved satisfactorily. I only raise this issue here, after emails and phone calls to SI have failed, in hopes of clarifying what I suspect has been some simple miscommunication about the nature of her issue (cf. ticket ESY-76621, re: order 1200015016).

She had a 1300 mAh Volt X2 manual battery fail shortly before its warranty period expired, which in itself is not a concern, as SI has excellent repute in fulfilling warranty claims. However, the replacement unit she received was DOA. Of course, being familiar with the 5-click master power feature, her first inclination was that the unit was simply switched off, but giving the button 5 clicks did not activate the unit, even after trying several times. Her next inclination was that the battery was simply discharged, so she connected it to her X2 charger; however, this made the battery quickly become too hot to touch, so she unplugged the charger and, after waiting for the battery to cool down, cautiously tried activating it again, still to no avail.

Here's where things became troubling. By the time she got around to contacting SI support to get a working re-replacement for the DOA replacement she'd received, her original battery's warranty had expired by then. She was informed that no replacement would be issued because the original unit's warranty had expired, and replacement units do not get a new warranty period of their own. While that policy is reasonable as a matter of general principle, she's not filing a warranty claim on the replacement unit; she's just seeking actual, effective fulfillment of her original claim filed within the original warranty period, which entitles her to a working replacement for the original battery. Sending a DOA replacement unit does not let SI off the hook for providing a working replacement for the original battery which failed during warranty.

2. JoAnnW

JoAnnW Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 19, 2012
    B'more MD
    I agree with you on this! Receiving a DOA replacement for a defective battery that was still under warranty at that time should be replaced. I'm sure that SI misunderstood the issue. Hopefully this will be resolved sooner rather than later.

3. CatLady007

CatLady007 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2011
    FL Panhandle
    Perhaps Imagine will intervene for your friend, as I am sure that it is not SI's intention to be perceived as having a shady warranty program. The 90-day warranty is one of the major things that sets them apart from their competitors. As they are growing, they have many new employees...

4. charlzrocks

charlzrocks Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2012
    Hamilton, MS
    I concur with catlady007 and joannw..........pm Imagine regarding this and I am sure that Imagine will get the correct wheels in motion!

5. Imagine

Imagine Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    OHIO USA
    I will look into it for sure...all DOA units should be replaced..

6. SubGothius

SubGothius Full Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks Imagine, glad to hear you're looking into it. I only raised the matter here as a last resort after other avenues of resolution had failed, and I'm sure this was just a simple miscommunication or misunderstanding as to the exact nature of my friend's issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.