The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Documentary Idea

Discussion in 'Campaigning discussions' started by Nathanial, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Nathanial

Nathanial Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2011
    Michigan
    Hi folks,

Let me just start by saying at this point, this is a very rough idea, so your input would be appreciated on ideas, and your opinion on if this is an endeavor I should look into.

Super Size Me

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the documentary film Super Size Me. In the film, Morgan Spurlock conducts an experiment involving the constant consumption of food from fast food giant McDonald's. Before starting his experiment, he is a healthy eater, rarely touching meats, if at all. He goes to three doctors, a gastroenterologist, a cardiologist and a general practitioner and receives examinations. He clears as a rather healthy individual, with a great diet. Then, for 30 days, he indulges himself on three meals a day from McDonalds. At the end of the experiment, he visits the three doctors again, and has some crazy results on how unhealthy he has become.

The mirrored experiment
    The basic idea I have so far, is to conduct a documentary experiment that's almost the opposite, in a sense than Super Size Me, but applies to the use of electronic cigarettes. The basic idea is, find a smoker of several years of length, willing to participate in the experiment. Have him visit a doctor(s), and receive some examinations. Lung capacity, etc.

Then we put him or her on electronic cigarettes for X days. The tough part is making sure the person 'clicks' with e-cigarettes, and doesn't "cheat". In the mean time, discuss the issues between the E-Cigarette community, and the FDA. I live in Kalamazoo Michigan, and live right down the road from Kalamazoo Vapor Shop I believe James, the owner, would agree to some interviews, discussing his business, personal views, etc.

After X days, have the new e-cig user visit the same doctor(s) again and receive said examinations again. Check lung capacity, general health, etc.

I know this would be short term studies on e-cigarette usage, but the main idea behind the film is to get general public awareness on a little more about what e-cigarettes are, and the issues we could be facing with the FDA, etc. And most of all... stress that instead of banning electronic cigarettes, there should be more commitment to the study of electronic cigarettes, and their affect on helping individuals quit 'analogs', and the health possibilities.

Like I said before, this is a rough idea, so I would appreciate community input, whether it be ideas, or a "no, this won't work".

A little about me

I've been an e-cig user for about a year now, thanks to the support of the ECF community, mainly the IRC channel is where I'm a regular. I'm an independent game developer full time, so I would be happy to commit to said project, if you all think it's a good idea, and if we can get enough ideas, and a rough layout of the plans.
    Please share your thoughts :)

2. yvilla

yvilla Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2008
    Rochester, NY
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.