Does a "non" reading on my 10s clearo mean a bad coil or a bad clearo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I have to use the shortie adapters on all my 10s clearo's, and still have to raise the center pins most of the time. And one of my eGp's won't work with a 10s no matter what I do. Maybe an adapter is what you need?

If you are using an adapter, look carefully at it and you will see a slot where you can try gently screwing the center pin of the adapter up or down. I recommend trying only 1/4 turns and try. Turning to the right lifts it, turning it left lowers it. Try turning it left a quarter turn and see if it fires. Use eyeglass screw driver. You will find the slot on the opposite side of where you screw it onto battery.
Hope this helps.
:)

Kandicat

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I raised the pin and no luck. I only have one device right now, although I order an MVP v2 yesterday. I also tried the coil on three different clearos and got the same non issue. As far as wiggling the connector base on the head out a bit? Are you talking on the tank or the clearo? I can't see how to wiggle anything on the clearos since the coils screw in.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
This (=) is your Battery top and Clearo Pin NOT TOUCHING
Change coils all you want.

Until you recognize the issue and learn to:
1)Not over tighten
2)Adjust Battery pin back up into proper position
3)Adjust clearo pin down, as needed

You will have hit and miss usage. Eventually nothing may work if the gap gets to large for any device to span.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Over tightening happens to all of us. That pushes the center pin down into the carto and finally it doesn't touch anymore. We all need a volt-ohm meter to check coils. You can quickly determine if it's the coil or the pin in a few seconds with a meter.

If you look at the threads on your clearo, you will probably see that the center pin is recessed on the ones that don't work. The center pin should be even with or maybe should protrude a half millimeter out from the edge of the threads in order to make contact with the center pin on the mod. If you get it a little too far out, it will adjust itself when you screw it on. The center pin rides inside a silicone sleeve to prevent short circuits.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
if you have replaced the coil and wick assembly i have found that some
will not contact the center pin in the cartridge assembly.
i have had to pull out the center pin of the coil assemble a little or
carefully swap out the center pin of the old coil assembly to the new one.
the tolerances used in the manufacturing of these devices is abysmal.
i'm talking branded stuff here too.
either that or these parts are being rushed through assembly to fast for the workers to use proper care
in handling the parts.
regards
mike

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
if you have replaced the coil and wick assembly i have found that some
will not contact the center pin in the cartridge assembly.
i have had to pull out the center pin of the coil assemble a little or
carefully swap out the center pin of the old coil assembly to the new one.
the tolerances used in the manufacturing of these devices is abysmal.
i'm talking branded stuff here too.
either that or these parts are being rushed through assembly to fast for the workers to use proper care
in handling the parts.
regards
mike

The receding center pin is something that has been discussed for years on ECF. The problem is that there has to be insulation between the center pin and the outer threaded tube. They use a silicone sleeve for that. A little pressure here and there over time and eventually you start getting random misfires and finally no vape at all. We make a home made tool for that out of a paper clip. You just bend the long leg of a jumbo paper clip out straight and use needle nose pliers to make a tiny right angle on the end. Stick it in the hole and bias it outward as you pull and jiggle and the pin returns to where it should be.

If you get too aggressive and the pin comes out, just push it back into the silicone sleeve and adjust it to where it is flush or extends out of the hole by a couple of thicknesses of paper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread