Does RY4 Double from TFA have a menthol-like taste to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rturner76

Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
www.robertmn.com
I ordered an Ry4 pre made juice from a supplier that tasted like it had menthol in it so I contacted them and they offered to send me another one. That one had the same taste so I gave up on that company. Now as I attempt to find the best DIY for the RY4 flavor, I made a large purchase of the TFA brand. Mainly because of all the sites I went to, it was ordered the most and had the highest reviews. When I made some I got that same menthollike taste. Some other brands I tried didn't have that extra element in them.

I'm confused because on all the reviews I have been reading, this issue is not being mentioned by anyone. Only good things are being said. So I wonder, has anybody around here noticed a menthol like taste in the TF RY4? Could it be that there is some ingredient in there that I am having an adverse reaction to? I'm stuck with 6oz of this stuff I can't use and I have to get a bunch of samples I guess instead of relying on review averages.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Now as I attempt to find the best DIY for the RY4 flavor, I made a large purchase of the TFA brand.
You made a good choice with regards to your purchase.
My notes from years ago:
TFA RY4 (Double)
#12E-- Taste to tongue: Sweet good
Color: almost none. (thought I forgot to added the RY4 when mixing)
Vape First impression: "Sharp,crisp. Second and more puffs: Toasty tobacco taste." At 5%, this might be too strong,
could be vaped at as little as 3% or lower. Good tasting but not really distinctive enough for me Blah.
This flavor is one to use as a base to be mixed with. Not a standalone.
"ry4 double and acetyl pyrazine go well together if your looking for an RY4 with a nutty note but again ry4d is very sweet and lacks tobacco taste. It's in fact one of the sweetest ry4's Ive tasted. RY4 will need 4 weeks steep time." Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only
Rating: 6.5/10 -- (fair)
Added #3B and ok.Tricky to get right.
I think RY4 Double really shines in a mix. As you can see above, it's not a standalone/single for me. Suggest you google " Tribeca recipe"' and experiment/tailor to taste.
Regarding menthol, if you taste it, it is there.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Ry4 is one of those love it or hate it flavors. I am in the “hate it” wing. I generally detect heavy burnt green pepper overtones from ry4 but no menthol (which imho would make it even worse)
Menthol is one of those hard to remove flavors though. Perhaps your mixing bottle or atty previously had some menthol in it?

• Agree
Reactions: madstabber

MartinD

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2017
I'm using ry4 double for the past several months.5% and month, month and half steeping.After a month and a half on Berserker RTA I feel cigarettes and caramel and a little cream, and on Doggy RTA - cream with caramel. Are you sure that in your base may not some cooler supplement? Or did you order an ordinary TPA ry4 that has a herbal flavor and can resemble something that has a cooler part?Sorry on bad English:)

Reactions: Izan

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I've never detected a hint of menthol in TFA RY4 Double, nor have I detected it in a variety of premixed RY4's. My guess is you have a sensitivity to some flavoring component that comes off as menthol for you. Each of us has different tastes and sensitivities, so it's no big deal. You might want to make a carmel/vanilla mix and add a bit of tobacco flavoring until you find a satisfying vape. Adding a tiny touch of acetyl pyrazine will add some nuttiness but it might contribute to your experience of an off taste.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I am not a fan of menthol (always tasted like Vicks Vape-o-rub smelled). And, as such, am rather sensitive to its presence. I have never detected it in TFA RY4 Double... and I used to use it regularly.

Who are/have you used for suppliers?

Did the atomizer(s) you have been testing the TFA in ever have a menthol mix in them in the past? Menthol can linger (in o-rings, and some plastics) and taint later liquids.

If you are now turned off of TFA; Hangsen RY4, and Hangsen RY3 (a bit more tobacco-forward), as well as Purilum Sweet Tobacco, all get a lot of love. None have menthol. :)

rturner76

Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
www.robertmn.com
Here more detail......The first experience I had with this phenomenon was when I ordered a 100ml bottle of "Ry4-Tobacco" from Puffs Vape Shop about 4 month ago. I was so looking forward to it because Ry4 and variations of Ry4 is pretty much all I vape. In fact, all this year, I have had this obsession with finding the best house made Ry4 120ml under $20. This was about my 4th round.

I don't vape or even own any menthol juice so that can't be the issue. When I tried it and got that funny taste, which is similar to menthol but not as cold. Menthol is just the closest thing to the flavor. It's slightly peppery and minty with that sort of cough drop taste like menthol but upon inhaling after I blow out the vapor. I don't get as much of the cooling sensation, but it's there.
I changed the pre-built coil and washed out the tank and the taste was still there, even more pronounced. I tried different temperatures and inhale times but I never got past it.

I wrote to the website and asked if someone could have mistakenly put menthol in the bottle and they sent me another bottle but it had the same taste. I wrote agan asking them not to send another one but what exactly was in it and they said TFA Ry4 Double is all. I thought maybe they had a bad supplier or it was the nicotine they used. I started doing more DIY experiments still looking for the perfect Ry4 and bought a few different brands of Ry4 and Ry4 Double. Any suggestions for an alternative? Other brands have not affected me this way......very strange

This was at Nicotine River's website. I searched for Ry4 and the TFA was the most popular brand and had the most positive reviews so I got a larger amount than the other brands. I added some to a bland bottle of pre mixed Ry4 that I had bought and that flavor was there again.

So since absolutely zero other people have had this experience with the flavor, could I be using too much? Is it possible that I personally have a negative reaction to some ingredient in there? No matter what I mix with it or if I do it by itself, I get that taste. Should I just chalk it to as an unsolved mystery and use a different brand? It bums me out because this TFA is supposed to be the best I guess.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
<snip>

So since absolutely zero other people have had this experience with the flavor, could I be using too much? Is it possible that I personally have a negative reaction to some ingredient in there? No matter what I mix with it or if I do it by itself, I get that taste. Should I just chalk it to as an unsolved mystery and use a different brand? It bums me out because this TFA is supposed to be the best I guess.

That was going to be my next question. Ry4 Double is one of my ADV and no hint of even the earthy side of menthol (that taste minus the cooling effect).

So..when you mixed it alone, what % did you use and what was the pg/vg ratio?

• Agree

rturner76

Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
www.robertmn.com
That was going to be my next question. Ry4 Double is one of my ADV and no hint of even the earthy side of menthol (that taste minus the cooling effect).

So..when you mixed it alone, what % did you use and what was the pg/vg ratio?
You know I didn't even measure on this one. Since I have been doing DIY, the percents have been so inconsistent and when I was putting the recommended amounts in I could taste almost nothing. So this and the previous post saying they thought it had an herbal taste are telling me it's possible I put it too much or that with my seemingly low ability to taste, I require too much concentrate to be able to taste it and the high amount of concentrate is giving me that menthol like taste. When I put in too much of other flavors, I get a chemical taste and this odd flavor could be the over used chemical taste that TFA gives in it's RY4. I usually use 60/40 VG/PG

I have a strange palette I guess because then when I try to make the Ry4 from scratch like with a sweet or Western tobacco or another kind of straight tobacco. When I add the caramel, I keep adding it bit by bit and I can never actually taste it. I get no caramel flavor or vanilla. I ended up using vanilla custard in order to have the ability to taste vanilla and by that time,I had put in so much caramel, it was just a sweet mess. I could taste the sweetness but not the caramel.

Next time, I think I will follow a popular highly rated recipe to the letter and let it steep, someone said for even a month. Then just vape a whole tank f it weather I can taste it or not and maybe over the course of a couple tanks, my palatte will start kicking in///////////////////////////////

Last edited:
Reactions: 440BB

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@rturner76, to me, making good DIY is all about repeatability. Repeatability requires knowing what, and how much, of what ingredients are added to a mix. So, when you do hit a winning mixture, I can make it again. Whether it is using syringes, scales, graduated cylinders, or something else; take notes, and measure. Just food for thought.:)

I get that your are frustrated, and wanting to find a solution sooner, rather than later. And "kinda-sorta" eyeball measuring may seem to be the fastest way to get there... but it isn't. Okay; I'll quit preaching now.:blush:

It is certainly possible that you are sensitive to some chemical component in the TFA RY4 Double that most other's don't notice. It is also possible that TFA has had to, or chosen to change the formula for the concentrate (based of manufacturing cost, and ingredient availability).

I have heard about some folks not being able to taste caramel concentrates. If you were trying to "force" the flavor, by adding more, perhaps that could be cause. Some have had success subbing butterscotch in those instances.

As for alternatives to TFA's version; I suggested a couple in my previous post. Purilum Sweet Tobacco has been quite popular with many RY4 fans. It is not an RY$ in the classic sense; but many RY4 vapers like it as much or even more. You can get that from Nicotine River. Hangsen RY4 has been an RY4 favorite of many for a long time. I know both Bull City Flavors, and Nicotine Giant, offer the Hangsen line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread