Does this coil look okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
USA
Still relatively new to rda's and these 28gx4/36g quad core fused claptons look a little different than the other kind of fused claptons i've bought from AVS after strumming out the hot spots, just curious if it's safe to use (though I imagine it's too late regardless since i've gone through half of them). This ones been used for a couple days, so it looks a little more used than it did when I installed it obviously. It takes way longer to strum out the hot spots than other coils i've used, so I thought that might be why it looks a little different.

Imgur

Reactions: stols001

Frogzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
USA
It looks OK. Does it vape OK? A quad wire fused Clapton provable will need some more adjusting to get it a heating the same. It's a lot of metal.
It's been vaping alright, it doesn't taste amazing but it doesn't taste burnt. I think these coils are a bit too big for the Recurve, not sure if the airflow is working properly because of it. I've been forced to stay around 45w because anything higher ends up tasting burnt, which was odd to me since I thought such a thick wire at .24 ohms would require higher wattage to vape properly.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
It's been vaping alright, it doesn't taste amazing but it doesn't taste burnt. I think these coils are a bit too big for the Recurve, not sure if the airflow is working properly because of it. I've been forced to stay around 45w because anything higher ends up tasting burnt, which was odd to me since I thought such a thick wire at .24 ohms would require higher wattage to vape properly.
This coil looks a bit big for your Recurve. Try going with simple claptons or wick a bit tighter through the coil to eliminate as much as possible the burnt taste. I'd also suggest you drip and not squonk with that coil.

Frogzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
USA
This coil looks a bit big for your Recurve. Try going with simple claptons or wick a bit tighter through the coil to eliminate as much as possible the burnt taste. I'd also suggest you drip and not squonk with that coil.
What kind of coil would you recommend for squonking? Gonna need to get some more materials soon. Unless simple claptons is something that would be good for squonking.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
What kind of coil would you recommend for squonking? Gonna need to get some more materials soon. Unless simple claptons is something that would be good for squonking.
I got back to simple kanthal wraps a few days ago out of need as i run out of my exotics. To my surprise, they work pretty well too. So don't ovethink it. Simple claptons will do the job just as well, if not better.

• Agree
Reactions: QcVaper

Frogzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
USA
You likely don't have enough airflow for coils that size. As @Nikhforos pointed out, something smaller would be more appropriate to squonk with.
Unfortunately, the lowest size AVS has is 3.0 I think. And I don't currently have the funds to buy both a spool of wire and a coil jig to wrap them down to 2.5, so if 3 is too big i'm not sure what to do.

• Optimistic

Frogzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
USA
I take it back, it was just the quad cores that didnt come in 2.5! Apparently the normal claptons can come in that size, so i'll order some of those. Thanks for the help!

Actually, on second thought..this wire seems to be a bit bigger than the quad cores i've been using. Not sure if the recurve's posts could fit them?

Frogzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
USA
If the posts can handle a quad core they can certainly handle a plain or even dual Clapton. I'd go with a plain Clapton myself.
Really? Great! Just put in an order for some 2.5g regular claptons, decided to grab 20 since AVS has a 30% discount campaign going on right now. Hope these are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread