Help! Showing half Ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTStober93

Aug 31, 2018
I bought 0.43 Ohms Fused Clapton coils by Vandy Vape, popped a single coil in DROP by Digiflavor and its showing as 0.26 Ohms on my meter...

Until this point I've used 0.50 clapton coils and it was always very close to 0.50

Why is this the case? I'm afraid to do anything with it because its so low... I haven't strummed or fired it, should I try that? It makes no sense to me, the coil is in there perfectly from my experience. No wire clippings are in the well.

One thing thats different with these coils from the last 10 coils I had, is the coils end are on opposite sides. In other words, I build diagonal with 2/4 posts - with this coil I had to build diagonal on the opposite 2 posts because the coils were wrapped in reverse.

I'm feenin for vape lol, please help me solve this :(
thank you in advance...

CTStober93

Aug 31, 2018
I would also like to know are there any 18650 batteries that are lower than 20 amp max? Because I have a dozen of batteries that I rewrapped and I don't know the specific statistics on them...they are assorted brands. With the ohms calculator - with a 4.2v battery @ 0.26ohm the max amp is 16. I don't want to push it, are there any batteries that could be unsafe with this or is it a healthy number? I get nervous with this stuff.

Thanks so much!!!

Reactions: stols001

CTStober93

Aug 31, 2018
Here is what I mean by the new coils were wrapped in reverse. Would this affect ohms?

Attachments

• IMAG0891.jpg
    IMAG0891.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • Optimistic

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Could be a number of things going on here. Could you provide info on the mod you are using? also, that half wrap you aren't use to could be dropping the ohms. Or the coils could have been mislabeled.

.26 ohms isn't so low as to worry about that much. Of course, it could have a short in the wires that strumming can clear out. Give it a try.

As to your battery question, Most batteries are under 20 amp, especially after being used for a while. I would suggest a new set as soon as possible.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I would also like to know are there any 18650 batteries that are lower than 20 amp max? Because I have a dozen of batteries that I rewrapped and I don't know the specific statistics on them...they are assorted brands. With the ohms calculator - with a 4.2v battery @ 0.26ohm the max amp is 16. I don't want to push it, are there any batteries that could be unsafe with this or is it a healthy number? I get nervous with this stuff.

Thanks so much!!!
There are lots of 18650 batteries that are lower than 20 AMP batteries. You want to be careful with batteries especially if you are using a mech mod.

Check here for battery info
Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

CTStober93

Aug 31, 2018
Could be a number of things going on here. Could you provide info on the mod you are using? also, that half wrap you aren't use to could be dropping the ohms. Or the coils could have been mislabeled.

.26 ohms isn't so low as to worry about that much. Of course, it could have a short in the wires that strumming can clear out. Give it a try.

As to your battery question, Most batteries are under 20 amp, especially after being used for a while. I would suggest a new set as soon as possible.

appreciate you! I will give it a shot. I'm nervous though lol. Is there any accurate way to know the max amp of a battery? I hear the battery makers are exaggerators, which seems like a huge disservice to battery safety honestly.

CTStober93

Aug 31, 2018
I'm using GeekVape Aegis, 1 battery mod. 18650 battery with adaptor. I'm also using a never used Digiflavor Drop RDA, in the pic it shows my old one.

@Letitia when I go diagonal, one of the leads seems to be pushed to the side (not in the middle like the other). Should I try to center it? The coil may just be spaced in that case

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I'm using GeekVape Aegis, 1 battery mod. 18650 battery with adaptor. I'm also using a never used Digiflavor Drop RDA, in the pic it shows my old one.

@Letitia when I go diagonal, one of the leads seems to be pushed to the side (not in the middle like the other). Should I try to center it? The coil may just be spaced in that case
In my experience works much better if the screw traps the lead, spaced coils are good.

CTStober93

Aug 31, 2018
Your one lead looks like it isn't trapped by the screw.

Wow. You were on the money! I'm not used to these much thicker wires. I centered it and tightened it as hard as I could and it jumped to 0.40ohms!! It took a lot of strength, I imagine thats just the norm with lower gauge wire... Thanks so much!!

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
Here is what I mean by the new coils were wrapped in reverse. Would this affect ohms?
Make sure the leads are clamped down with the screws. This happened to me before, and my resistance reading was wonky. Once I corrected and tightened the leads the resistance was almost perfect for the coil.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Wow. You were on the money! I'm not used to these much thicker wires. I centered it and tightened it as hard as I could and it jumped to 0.40ohms!! It took a lot of strength, I imagine thats just the norm with lower gauge wire... Thanks so much!!
Pleased it worked out for you. Enjoy

CTStober93

Aug 31, 2018
Before this gets archived, I would like to add: I was able to get my ohms up to 0.43 by spacing the coil - when I pushed it together it actually went down to 0.30ohm. I didn't know that affected it that much but it looks perfect now.

I just had to play with it, tighten it and space & align the coil until I was happy with the ohms. Ty again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread