The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Does this still count?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Longboarder1990, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Longboarder1990

Longboarder1990 Full Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Clearwater, FL, USA
    I've been vaping for around a year now and haven't used a :smokie: for almost just as long but.... Would you consider hookah the same as a :smokie:. I mean it is tobacco (unless we/ you're using herbal/ tea leaf shisha). I usually use my hookah once or twice a month but I don't want to be "cheating" myself.

Also: Possibly in the wrong forum... sorry =/ =]

2. Drowzysleeper

Drowzysleeper Full Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Missouri
    I would say it counts as smoking still it's just flavored tobacco Idk if it has all the crap In it that cigs do or not but you are smoking

3. Longboarder1990

Jul 16, 2014
    Clearwater, FL, USA
    Ya it is still smoking but from what I understand all shisha is, is: washed/boiled/dried tobacco, honey or VG, and flavoring extracts. Some e-liquid is made with VG so that's really the only constant. Not only that but the tobacco is cleaned so there should be minimal "crap", mostly nicotine. Plus I don't really want my $75 investment be just a household decoration. <--- Not trying to (insert correct word here) my reasoning

Anybody else use a hookah AND e-cigs?

4. snipeslayer

snipeslayer Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    United States
    I would vote that it would still count

5. UncleChuck

UncleChuck Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Portland
    If your using your hookah properly I'd say it falls into a gray area. With a hookah you aren't supposed to be burning the tobacco, you are passing hot air over the tobacco which vaporizes the goodies. That being said there is still some burning/charring going on, even if minimal, but it's nowhere near the same as straight up smoking.

I'd say enjoy your hookah man!

6. Susan~S

Susan~S ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2014
    Mpls/St.Paul, MN
    :shock::laugh: I still have one of those from decades ago! Unfortunately, mine is just a boxed up "household decoration" from my much younger days.:(

I've never been to a hookah/shiska lounge/bar and would like to one day. Do you buy your own flavorings? I hear many DIYers buy shisha flavors from Inawera to make their own eliquid.

7. DuckGooseMan

DuckGooseMan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2014
    CA, USA
    My brother and I actually want to open a hookah lounge someday! He's a very active member on a hookah forum :D

I go to lounges every so often with my brother and friends, but after 8 years of learning the craft, a lounge doesn't compare to a hand packed bowl at home!

My brother's curiosity with vapes grows more and more as we hang out.. Might get him an MVP or something because he seems to like everything Innokin haha

8. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    if its a dry leaf substance and you are exhailing smoke.... i think that falls under smoking

9. rurwin

rurwin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 6, 2014
    Leicester, UK
    It counts as smoking but, as a rule of thumb and as I understand it, anything you do less than once a week is not an addiction, if that helps.

10. Drowzysleeper

Drowzysleeper Full Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Missouri

11. Auxx

Auxx Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 20, 2014
    Zvejniekciems, Latvia
    I'm using my hookah with tobacco free molasses. It is VG + flavouring, no nicotine. And hookah is also a vaporizer, it should not burn the molasses. So in my case it is exactly the same as vaping. But it gives me clouds like no mod and rda can :) I also want to try to put molasses without hard bits into my atomizer and see how will it handle this liquid.

12. Longboarder1990

Jul 16, 2014
    Clearwater, FL, USA
    I have a lounge close by where I buy a few different flavors and mix them myself. I've actually made a pretty decent "Autumn" flavor by mixing orange, and cinnamon. Havent tried to put the sauce in my e-cig yet though.

I'm in the same spot too! I would love to own/ build my own lounge incorporated with a skate park and eatery. There is quite a lot of legal hassles to go along with it though so I may not. Not only that but expenses. :unsure:

That would be very interesting. If you do do it let me know how it works. I have a feeling that you may have to dilute the molasses with water or something quite a bit to get the right viscosity.

13. DuckGooseMan

Jul 4, 2014
    CA, USA
    Tell me about it. Some people think vapes and hookahs use "other things".. and as far as expenses go? My brother barely scrapes by making a little over minimum wage, and I'm in college. No money to be had anywhere :( But we gotta keep the dream alive! haha

A lounge AND skatepark? I can barely stand on a board, but I definitely appreciate the craft and culture of skating. If you're serious about it, go for it! Seems like a unique idea :)

14. EvilBeast

EvilBeast Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

From what I understand you can use your hookah oil/molasses stuff in a dry herb/oil vaporizer pen if you need to. I wouldn't go put it in a regular atty because I would think it just gum it all up and burn because of molasses...but it might not I just would play it safe.

15. hvac999

hvac999 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I say it still counts as smoking.

16. thomas l

thomas l Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

17. runitskat

runitskat Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    San Diego
    I own a hookah but it's such a pain to put together that I never use it. I don't view it the same as smoking since it's more towards the vaporizer side.

18. DuckGooseMan

Jul 4, 2014
    CA, USA
    I actually kinda see the setting up of a hookah like rebuilding/rewicking coils or something. There's a bit of handiwork to be done with both, and it's pretty satisfying in the end when you take those first few hits :)

19. BockinBboy

BockinBboy Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 13, 2014
    Illinois
    Its vapour... so long as you do it right and heat the shisha without burning it. However, the 'user beware' for hookah are the coals... you do inhale whatever may burn off of those coals - so Quality of your coals is a factor, and using natural coconut coals are step away from calling it smoking anything. There are electronic ways to heat the shisha, and THAT I would consider same as vaping and NOT smoking at all.

- Bboy

20. NealBJr

NealBJr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    I consider a hookah as smoking, and vaping as vaping. You are still burning, and still producing "ash" to inhale. the differences between a cigarette and a hookah, is the cigarette stays self lit, where as the hookah requires something constantly smoldering to heat the tobacco, and can be flavored easier. another side note, is although the hookah does produce massive ammounts of smoke, I doubt it contains as much chemicals as a cigarette... still vastly more than an ecig though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.