The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Does US Airport Security Allow us to Travel with our Vape Stuff?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by SmokeFree, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SmokeFree

SmokeFree Full Member

Nov 4, 2015
    DE, USA
    ...or are they so paranoid about batteries that they ban all this stuff, including cigalikes (GreenSmoke)?

...should we just buy a pack of cigs after we land somewhere else? (I switched to Vaping over 4 years ago, and I do not want to smoke again).

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I am hoping for the latest answers on Flying with a Vape.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tonee N

Tonee N Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    Check on the official TSA website concerning up-to-date items.
    Tsa.gov
    My TSA - Home Airport

Sent from the future

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    when Im in a situation where I cant vape, I bring a small bottle of juice with me... I place a small drop on the fingertip and lick it up... gives me the nic I desire and lasts for about 15=30 or so minutes before I am looking for more...

pack the hardware away safely... BTW some airlines prohibit batteries on board anywhere on the plane

• Like Like x 2
  4. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    You should check with your airline carrier, most of them list what's prohibited. If you aren't traveling out of country though, you should have no difficulties packing your vape gear, just note that there are restrictions on amount of liquid you can bring with you (though I guess you could pack larger quantities on your suitcase, but unless your carrier is super anal about batteries (which MUST be in carryons and your vape gear should be as well, and really, if you can carryon your juice that's preferable also). Batteries should be in silicone sleeves.

If you are traveling out of country, google the country's airline laws, to make sure you have the most up to date information for getting through security on your return.

Best of luck, and happy travels (hopefully).

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrStik

MrStik Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 6, 2013
    SoCal
    Not sure if they can prohibit batteries, then travelers would not be able to carry cell phones, laptops or any devices of convenience onto the plane...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    All batteries must be in carry on not checked luggage. Batteries not in mods should be in a protective case to prevent a short. Juice same rules as any other liquid, 120 ml bottles that all fit in a 1 quart ziploc bag. If you need more juice than that, it may go in checked luggage, just like triple wrap them so if there is a leak your clothes aren't all covered with juice.

Edit: I looked it's 100 ml, but I doubt they'll measure it at the security line

• Like Like x 3
  7. smacuser

smacuser Vapid Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Marc411

Marc411 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    In my recent travels I brought my gear through carry-on with no hassles.

Tanks - Empty in a plastic bag. I rinsed the tank out (vaping until I hit the door) in the restroom.
    Batteries in plastic hard cases, also in a plastic bag.
    Liquids - in the same bag as my shampoo and toothpaste, several bottles @ 60mls
    Mods - no batteries in them, inside a plastic bag.

I passed through TSA with zero issues.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Eskie

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Not condoning, but in my own experience, I've boarded with a full mod and tank in my pocket (yes they went through the x ray machine, no one has ever said a word about it) and I've stealth vaped in the plane's lavatory. I do carry a low watt, high PG, high nic juice setup for traveling to avoid much if any clouds. I do use a Triton mini for those little escapades, as it has a jfc which I can turn off to avoid leakage that might occur from pressure changes. Probably doesn't matter but it makes me feel better..

• Like Like x 3
  10. smacuser

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    I just ask for a blanket ;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Airplanes still have BLANKETS???

Also, Eskie, not judging, but you are aware that soon, the airlines will have a slot in which you will have to insert 50 cents, in order to use the bathroom/stealth vape. I'm convinced it's coming Soon to an Air Location near you.

I always wondered what they did in those little planes that don't have restrooms, but I'm not actually sure I wish to know the answers, kind of like the showers in truck stops. I am SUPER interested in what they're like, but have never found the chutzpah to actually ask the attendant, "Hey, do you mind if I peep in one of your truck stop showers."

Curiosity.... It's a double edged sword. :)

Anna

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. smacuser

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Sometimes I will cover my mod with a bandana while sticking one finger up my nose.

People tend to look away from that.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. NCCTC

NCCTC Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 26, 2015
    Hills-Vegas, NC
    Over the last 12 months, I've traveled all over the US, as well as Norway, Germany, UK, Malaysia, Australia, and Dubai.
    Here's what I have done. I've had gear checked at security, but have not had anything taken/prevented from travel.

Carry On (same bag as laptop)
    Batteries: Batteries are removed from all mods, put into plastic carry cases, and in my carry on. (No issues)
    USB charger/cable
    Pocket mod for long layovers and for when landing after long trips: Pico and a tank (Kayfun 5, Serpent Mini, etc.)
    - Tank is wicked and without e-liquid, and is also in a separate pocket from mod.
    - I carry on one 10-15Ml bottle of liquid (never had this taken from any security check .. knock on wood)

Checked bag-
    Tool kit (with wick & wire). Size of kit depends on length of trip.
    Other atties; each in their own plastic bag. Tossed in with tools.
    Liquids:
    For a short trip, I take 30Ml gorilla bottles filled. I put these in one of those short shaker bottles (for protein shakes, etc)
    For a long trip, I use the same, but I also pour extra liquid into silicone travel bottles. Since these are unmarked, I put them
    in the same bag as my shampoo, etc. These bottles take 3 fluid ounces (88.7 Ml). You can carry 4 of these in a 1 quart ziplock.
    Mods: I've been taking cheap mods with me; not wanting to risk losing higher-end stuff.
    I always bring a Kanger 160 Dripbox (USB chargeable/long life). VT Inbox, EHpro 101, and so on.
    Extra mods are put in a plastic case I got with a flashlight purchase. Case is padded.
    On the top of the case, I taped a printed note in red lettering, "Electronic Cigarettes - NO BATTERIES INSTALLED"

Other-
    For international trips longer than 5 days, I will bring an external battery charger to keep batteries
    in good condition. It's an XTar VC4 and comes with a "travel bag". Charge them only at night, next
    to bed. Never charge while away from room.

I travel quite a bit for work; especially in the US. I paid for TSA Pre-Check (domestic only). Since
    getting this, I've had no extra security follow ups after the XRay.

Last November, I put two 300Ml bottles of liquid in my checked bag (in plastic bag). TSA security
    left me a notification that they were oversize, but signed off on them. On the return trip, I put the signed
    off paper with the liquid. No problem that time.

When I leave my hotel room, I keep ALL vape stuff either in my luggage (locked) or in the room safe.
    I don't need to deal with hotel staff stopping by to remind me that smoking/vaping is not allowed.

Have to add that I also put my camera batteries in a case and in my carry on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Interesting...I thought there was no limit on liquids in checked bags.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Eskie

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Yeah, Pre-Check does make life a bit easier. As for the hotel room, I've had housekeeping present when I was vaping and she didn't even take a second look. I guess if it doesn't smell like a cigarette, and you're not setting off smoke alarms, they don't pay a lot of attention. For a hotel, the smell of a cigarette can rightfully be a big deal for the next check in, although I doubt it really costs them as much as the $200 they'll charge for the "extra room cleaning".

In the few hotels I've stayed at that had smoking floors (it's become really rare), even when I smoked the smell was awful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. NCCTC

NCCTC Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 26, 2015
    Hills-Vegas, NC
    @puffon
    Norway has a 100Ml/per bottle limit. Glad I got the sign-off! :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    I find hotel smells worse when I'm not smoking, than when I was a smoker, LOL. With that said, I worked as a maid in Champaign Illinois one summer in college (the BF at the time, ALSO an engineer, I guess I like them was doing an internship), and I learned several things that I won't repeat here (don't want to terrify anyone) but I WILL say that since that time, I've "sanitized" my hotel room with antimicrobial wet wipes ever since.... And I am not what one would call OCD about cleaning, either.

Hotels don't do much on top of regular cleaning, other than spray air freshener if you smoke in a non-smoking room, but I guess they like to charge $200 for the privilege, and no, the maids aren't going to care one way or another, I promise. If you set off the smoke alarm, that's another matter. Maids are firmly on the customer's side, it's an absolutely horrid job... And they know things you wouldn't even DREAM of, which is unfortunate. If I'd seen someone smoking in a room, I would have been like, "Way to de-germify the environment! Good for you!"

And, at least (this) maid has NO interest in your stuff, and NO desire to steal pills, vapes, or ANYTHING else, it's just.... too much information to even get invested in. I've never had anything stolen, including my pill box, though I'll use the safe when practical.

My worst hotel stay was traveling back east for a visit, I was arriving at like 2 a.m. so I chose the "closest" hotel room, THEN read the reviews. Well, they weren't quite as bad as their reviews indicated, but there was a police car the whole time, and drunken "couples" were being turned away at 2 a.m. for not having a reservation, heh. I was so distracted by all the trees and foliage, I did not mind.

I'd love to say Bed and Breakfasts are better and maybe I'm anti-social, but all the "combination events," like wine after dinner and a shared breakfast. One time me and the Ex-husband went, and a couple that was staying there tried really hard to talk us into some sort of swinger situation, it was horrifying. It was also winter, so I pretty much hid out in my room unless we were going somewhere, after that (results, perhaps, not-typical).

Give me a tent and the people I love around, any day. I think I know most of what has happened inside my tent. Even better, give me an RV (seriously, Do It, :lol::lol:).

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  18. Philabos

Philabos Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 9, 2017
    I recently flew from Newark to Copenhagen via Lisbon.
    Packed juice in checked baggage, mods in carry on.
    No issues in USA or Europe.
    On the way back, loaded juice tank in plastic bag, mods separate, again no issues.

• Like Like x 2
  19. smacuser

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Keeping your carry on tanks with juice inside upside down will do well to prevent leakage,

as well.

• Like Like x 2
  20. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Most folks say to empty most tanks, unless you are keeping one for stealth vaping (which I don't really recommend, but eh folks make it work.

Anna

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.