Does % VG/PG in nic matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I have some 50/50 48Mg nic juice for mixing. Does the ratio of PG/VG matter in the final outcome of a DIY?
I don't think it matters as much as the amount of discussion on it warrants.
I'm shooting for a 80/20 overall. And what is meant by nic base?
The nicotine solution you are starting with.
In my case that would be 50% PG & 50% VG right?
Right.
I haven't found that answer yet in my many readings of DIY. TIA!

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
What nic level you desire to vape? What flavor %? Once we know, then we can assist ya gettin' to where ya want to be.
thumbsup.gif

Must comment... Ya definitely need to study the DIY stickies if you're gonna venture into mixing your own jooses!

Last edited:

RocketRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Sorry. My assumption was that a 50/50 nic base meant that it could be mixed either way with no effect on the final outcome. Like if it was 100% VG or PG then it wouldn't factor into what the final outcome of percentages. I take 50/50 to mean 50% VG + 50% VG with the nic being 48 Mg by weight. Which then would need to be diluted to achieve the desired final nic percentage. I have read many of the threads on DIY, but that answer escapes them, and alas me.

chrismp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Australia
For 10ml of juice, lets just say you want 50/50 @ 12mg. You have 100% VG juice @ 48mg/ml

You would do -

Plain VG = 2.5ml
Plain PG = 5ml
48mg Nicotine in VG = 2.5ml (this makes our final solution 12mg/ml, because you're using 2.5ml of 48mg/ml nicotine in 10ml of juice - which is a quarter of the 10ml. 48mg divide by 4 gives us 12mg/ml)

This would give you 10ml of 12mg e-juice @ 50% VG/50% PG. Success!

Have no idea if that helps or not :)

Lets say you want 10ml of juice at 80% PG/20% VG @ 12mg (using the same 100% VG 48mg of nicotine per ml)

You would do -

Plain PG - 8ml
48mg/ml nicotine in VG - 2.5ml

But uh oh...8ml + 2.5ml? 10.5ml! We only wanted 10ml at 12mg with 80/20 ratio. You can't do 80PG/20VG @ 12mg using nicotine that's 100% VG @48mg :(

Your nicotine (also called nicotine 'base') does make a difference in the final percentages of PG/VG...because in the first example I used 2.5ml of it...2.5ml of nicotine base in 100% VG counts as 2.5ml of VG.

I hope I haven't confused you more!

I suggest using a ejuice calculator - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-calculator-added-quantity-calculations.html

Remember that when people say 48mg nicotine, they almost always mean 48mg per ml when talking DIY. That's how we buy our nic, it's per millilitre.

Last edited:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Sorry. My assumption was that a 50/50 nic base meant that it could be mixed either way with no effect on the final outcome. Like if it was 100% VG or PG then it wouldn't factor into what the final outcome of percentages. I take 50/50 to mean 50% VG + 50% VG with the nic being 48 Mg by weight. Which then would need to be diluted to achieve the desired final nic percentage. I have read many of the threads on DIY, but that answer escapes them, and alas me.

Everything you put in your e-liquid factors into the final outcome of percentages. If you want your final e-liquid at a high pg ratio, starting with 100% pg nic base is prefered. As an example - using a 50/50 48mg base, the highest ratio one could get for a 24mg product would be 75/25.

canoeist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Piedmont, SC
www.mcleanweb.org
If you intend to mix your juice at near 50/50, that is fine. If you want an 80/20 mixture, you will only be able to go so low with the nic level. If you want a higher percentage of VG or PG in your final mix, you would be better off buying your nic in that base since it will give you more flexibility in mixing options.

Fringeoflunacy

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Iowa
If you intend to mix your juice at near 50/50, that is fine. If you want an 80/20 mixture, you will only be able to go so low with the nic level. If you want a higher percentage of VG or PG in your final mix, you would be better off buying your nic in that base since it will give you more flexibility in mixing options.

It actually doesn't limit how low you can go with nic level, it limits how high you can go. For example, if you're taking 50/50 48mg nic base and want an 80/20 final result with 10% flavoring (PG based), then the highest you can go is 19mg. This is because at a higher desired nic level you have to have a larger percentage of nic base in your mix, whereas with a lower desired nic level you can use much less nic base, which leaves more room to add pure PG or VG and affect the balance. I hope that made sense, let me know if it doesn't. :D

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
With higher % VG juices you may have to add more flavour compared to a high PG juice.

If you vape plain VG, you'll notice it doesn't really have any taste. For some reason VG just dampens flavours a little bit though.

My straight VG has a really sweet taste. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

It will matter, and in large volume it could matter more;

So here is a formula for you to use (example is in 100mL size, 100mg/mL 50%PG/50%VG Base Nicotine; 24mg/mL Target):

1. Calculate the amount of PG and VG you will need for your mixture
2. Calculate the desired level of nicotine for your mixture
3. Subtract levels of PG and VG from mixture from answer in #1

Example

1. 80%PG/20%VG Mixture, 100ml (0.8 PG x 100mL = 80mL PG)(0.2 VG x 100mL = 20mL VG)
80mL PG; 20mL VG
2. 24mg/mL Target (24mg x 100mL)/100mg/mL)= 24mL
24mL 50%PG = 12mL PG; 24mL 50%VG= 12mL VG
3. Initial 80mL PG - 12mL from Nic= 68mL PG
Initial 20mL VG - 12mL from Nic= 8mL VG

68mL PG + 8mL VG + 24mL Nicotine = 100mL Total Solution

I believe that should work...

Jeff

Fringeoflunacy

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Iowa
I suspect there is a disconnect between the question the OP wants an answer to and the answers we are providing.

Either that or I'm just extra confused today.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it would help if the OP let us know if anyone is actually understanding the question correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread