Don't judge but ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lboyerbp

May 6, 2017
IMG_9282.JPG
So I decided to build on my first atty today and since often I am on the go I figured I'd get an RDTA. With the help of a vape shop I built on this iJoy Limitless Plus--dual post, parallel coils. After a few mL of liquid I noticed the taste was becoming muted. I popped it open and the coils looked like this. What's going on?
juice is 70/30 VG/PG. And vape settings attached. Mod is eleaf Ikonn 220.
IMG_9284.JPG

Reactions: petrotech

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
In addition to that (there's a bit too much browning/gunking under the coil wraps)... I'd straighten out that far coil and see if the resistance stays the same.
The two need to be closely matched.

If those wraps are shorting or making hot spots, the pair will be unbalanced.
Not happy making. ;)

eta: on zooming in, I see it's unlikely you have any shorting over there on the far side... but I'd tidy them up all the same. :)

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
@Don29palms, IMHO, I wouldn't say the wattage is too high. I vape upwards of 350W so 70W isn't high at all. I don't vape less than 200W but to each his/her own.

@Iboyerbp, how long have you been vaping on these coils and wick? It looks like the coils are a little gunky and you can see the cotton is dark at the coils. If I were to go out a limb I would saw you need to take the cotton out, dry burn the coils to burn off any gunk the quench to finish the job and re-wick.

A lot of times if your vaping on a sweet juice, the sugars in the juice will caramelize on the coils and the flavor will start to diminish. I DIY and I mostly vape on fruit and bakery flavors which both have a higher sugar content and mine do the same thing. Depending on what juices I've been vaping on depends on how often I change my cotton but on average I would say I dry burn and re-wick once a week or so (I run mostly RDA's because I get better flavor but I do own one RTA (Voltrove) and I will vape on from time to time). Since your now building your own coils, I would say if you have a couple extra $'s, pick you up a cheap RDA clone. Of course you don't have the convenience of a tank but you will see you get better flavor with dripping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: petrotech

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
@Wheelin247 I only vaped a few hours on these which is why I was surprised and confused :/

That's after a couple hours!?! That's crazy. Have you put a new set of coils and wick to see if it happens again?

lboyerbp

May 6, 2017
Gonna do that this afternoon and I'll report back. The vapor doesn't taste burnt. Just caramelized and the flavor has lost a lot.

That's after a couple hours!?! That's crazy. Have you put a new set of coils and wick to see if it happens again?

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Here is a pic that a local vape shop took for their FB page. This is my other lipo mod with the 41mm Voltrove sitting on top. She is a beast. 25ml juice capacity so I can run 2 days on my battery n juice in the tank without refilling or throwing the battery on a charger. I get 2 days easy out of the 4000mAh lipo and 1 1/2 with the 2800mAh lipo if I'm on my day off. Of course days I work the batteries last longer and it only takes 1 hour to charge one battery.
f09e5f2bcc9112f5e60dbc35b0a34e41.jpg

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I wouldn't say he needs to do just a single coil build on a dual coil RTA. Maybe start off with a single strand dual build and see how that goes. I use nothing but single strand coils. I can build the aliens and staggered fuse claptons but still go back to the single strands coils.

lboyerbp

May 6, 2017
Yeah prob not the best first atty build for me. I went with the parallel coil on the advice of the shop but I probably shouldn't have lol.

Anyway I took that coil out -- and just to see, installed the premade Claptons that came with this RDTA. It came in at .17 ohms and has worked like a charm at 80w all afternoon. Nothing weird going on yet. I think I'll vape on this premade Clapton until its ready to have a wick change. Then I'll try a single strand build next. And give another update!

Also- what is the wattage range for a dual Clapton kanthal at .17 ohms? I like it at 80w but just curious.

Reactions: gpjoe

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Yeah prob not the best first atty build for me. I went with the parallel coil on the advice of the shop but I probably shouldn't have lol.

Anyway I took that coil out -- and just to see, installed the premade Claptons that came with this RDTA. It came in at .17 ohms and has worked like a charm at 80w all afternoon. Nothing weird going on yet. I think I'll vape on this premade Clapton until its ready to have a wick change. Then I'll try a single strand build next. And give another update!

Also- what is the wattage range for a dual Clapton kanthal at .17 ohms? I like it at 80w but just curious.

The best wattage to vape on is what you like. Everybody is different. As for me right now with the fat Buddha (30mm) with a .35 dual 22g Ka1 and running it at 9v right now. I'm just breaking in the coil so going up slowly. Gonna go up to 11.5V and vaping this .35 at that voltage would give me 377W. That's where I like it with this DIY juice 70/30 I'm using right now. I made it 70/30 for my Voltrove being a tank it wicks better but I'm just loving the flavor out of the Buddha.

One thing about vaping is this is a good voltage/wattage for me but you would try this and cough your head off cause your used to around 80W with the juice your using. You will find that juices will also alter what wattage you vape at so...back to what I was saying...vaping is for everybody. What works for me wouldn't work for you. If you can't find something that works for the person, they haven't looked hard enough or vaping just isn't for them. If I try your setup, I would feel like that wattage just wasn't enough for me. I've tried a friends vape and had to turn up the wattage on his mod and when I gave it back to him I forgot (at least that's what I said...::devil horns::) to turn down the wattage and when he took his next hit he coughed his head off and the group still got a laugh.

I said that to say this...do you! Whatever is good for you is good for you. If you feel like you want to go up or down in wattage, go for it. Your the one vaping on your device. Hope that helps.

::Edit:: I forgot to mention, I will run my coils for months (aliens cause it takes a while to build them (and I'm kind of lazy and just don't want to build more) and just change the wicks u tip the coils have had enough). I will just rewick numerous times so I would run those aliens till the give up the ghost and then try the single strand coils. Also you could try single strand contact coils (when the wraps are touching) or spaced (just what it says, space the wraps). Easy way to space is when the coils is wound around your jig, grab the end side (wrapping hand) and use your nails and stick in between the last wrap and the one before it and pull to stretch them out. Once stretched, push it back in towards your holding hand and it will be perfectly spaced. Try them and see what you like. Sorry I made this little comment so long but sometimes that happens to me..lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: lboyerbp

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Also forgot to mention, look for either a 24mm or 30mm RDA (depending on the size of your mod) and use that to build some coils and play around with. BTW, if I'm running a DNA 250 board in a lipo mod or a VW mod I use 22g SS or 24g SS. I run big RDA's and a big RTA so I use large gauge wires (22g being the smallest I usually use and go as low as 18g). 24g is a good all around gauge wire so get you some 24g SS and try that. It's gonna be a lower resistance but you may find that you like the flavor off SS better than Ka1. I know I do and a lot of people on here would agree with me. It's a cleaner taste and (not sure if it's in my head or not but...) I want to think I get more flavor.

Reactions: lboyerbp

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Thanks for the tips! I have only been vaping about six months but no cigs during that time and I'm loving it!

No worries my friend! Keep it up. Soon if not already you will find that it's more than just to quit the stinkies but it's also a hobby. You will be building exotic coils for friends that don't know how to build, making juice and building mods lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread