Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
NealBJr meant if the mod will fire you are all right, as regulated mods will not fire a coil if it's outside the range of acceptable resistance that the chip has been set for.
He was wrong when he said that regulated mods will limit how much amperage is drawn from the battery.
They can detect the voltage of the battery and will cut off when it gets too low.
The resistance of coil has no bearing on how many amps are drawn from the battery.
The amperage drawn from the battery is determined by the wattage you select and the remaining voltage in the battery.
It is up to you to select a battery that is capable of supplying this number of amps safely.

As a rule of thumb:

A 20 amp CDR battery is good for 60 watts
A 25 amp CDR battery is good for 75 watts
A 30 amp CDR battery is good for 90 watts

If you want to use the full 100 watts on your mod you could use the Samsung 30T which can deliver 40 amps safely.

If you are interested in the maths I used to calculate these figures have a look at this article
Ohms Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum

The chart below can be used to select an appropriate battery to use. This list does not cover 20700 or 21700 batteries.

img_4813-jpg.643937

Last edited:

abzyshaid

Nov 21, 2017
NealBJr meant if the mod will fire you are all right, as regulated mods will not fire a coil if it's outside the range of acceptable resistance that the chip has been set for.
He was wrong when he said that regulated mods will limit how much amperage is drawn from the battery.
They can detect the voltage of the battery and will cut off when it gets too low.
The resistance of coil has no bearing on how many amps are drawn from the battery.
The amperage drawn from the battery is determined by the wattage you select and the remaining voltage in the battery.
It is up to you to select a battery that is capable of supplying this number of amps safely.

As a rule of thumb:

A 20 amp CDR battery is good for 60 watts
A 25 amp CDR battery is good for 75 watts
A 30 amp CDR battery is good for 90 watts

If you want to use the full 100 watts on your mod you could use the Samsung 30T which can deliver 40 amps safely.

If you are interested in the maths I used to calculate these figures have a look at this article
Ohms Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum

The chart below can be used to select an appropriate battery to use.

img_4813-jpg.643937

Thanks for that I am using the standard battery that comes with the ijoy capo 100

Reactions: stols001

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I cannot vouch for that battery as Mooch has not tested it. I would be on the safe side and assume it's a 20 amp battery, ergo don't exceed 60 watts.

To clarify what I posted above, check Mooch's page for his testing on 21700, 20700 and 18650 batteries as your mod will take all three.
List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As long as you have safe batteries, you should be fine.
That's quite the blanket statement. How does one know if they have safe batteries? :unsure:

* For one thing, try to purchase AUTHENTIC, BRAND NAME batteries from the get go. AW, LG, Samsung, and Sony are very reputable battery manufacturers. The others? The best we can determine is "it depends" or "its a crapshoot".

Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded) Battery?

• Learn what a rewrap cell is. If you are using rebranded cells, does that mean it is inferior, poor quality, or even dangerous? Which batteries are suspected to be rebranded batteries?
** Purchase your batteries from REPUTABLE TRUSTED battery suppliers. Avoid buying from Ebay or Amazon or vape shops that may not know where their suppliers get their batteries.

** Don't use a battery which may have suffered some abuse. Don't use a battery which has been over-discharged lower than 3.0 volts. Don't use a battery which has a nick or tear in the plastic wrap; get it rewrapped or recycle it properly.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes I wouldn't assume the batteries you have match their specs, so if you can get your resistance slightly higher, I'd recommend that. Although, since you are using a regulated mod, there's no harm in running your build and seeing what your battery life is like. If the battery can't handle the resistance, it will let you know (but most likely, not by blowing up, your battery will drain fast).

Good luck,

Anna

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Yes I wouldn't assume the batteries you have match their specs, so if you can get your resistance slightly higher, I'd recommend that. Although, since you are using a regulated mod, there's no harm in running your build and seeing what your battery life is like. If the battery can't handle the resistance, it will let you know (but most likely, not by blowing up, your battery will drain fast).
Anna
The coil resistance has no bearing on how many amps are pulled from the battery, only the selected wattage. Come on Anna.

Reactions: Baditude

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.

I was replying to the atomizer Vs. regulated mod issue... I know there is a whole bunch of if's.

First, regulated mods have an amperage limit that the electronics will hold. For example, the Cloupor T8 is a 150W mod with a 20A limit. That means the mod either limits the maximum wattage, or it will not fire. Most mods have a 20 amp limit... the Wattage means less than most people think. Technically, I could sell a 200w mod that supports a .05 ohm coil, but that doesn't mean it will fire a .05 ohm coil at 200 watts. The electronics have an amperage limit. If the amperage limit for the mod was 10a, then it could fire a 2 ohm coil at 200 watts and put 20 volts through that coil. Either it would have some serious pulsing to get that voltage, or it would require quite a bit of batteries. bu the end result is, it would only ask 10 amps from the battery(s). Most mods now have a 20a limit, so that wold allow a more respectable .5 ohm coil, and put 10 volts through that coil. That mod would ask 20a from the batteries though, so a safer battery would be needed.

Now the Ijoy Capo should come with a 21700 battery. The manufacturer claims that is a 40a continuous rating. Mooch has tested it, and it comes out to a more reasonable 24a limit. Ijoy has set the limits, so as far as you use the limits set by Ijoy , you should be fine.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread