The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Don't vape. Don't use Juul

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by iVapeDIY, Aug 30, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. iVapeDIY

iVapeDIY Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. CarolT

CarolT Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    He thinks that groveling and licking Tobacco Control boots will ingratiate himself with them. What a hopeless naïf.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    The problem is the device the company makes is a super high nicotine ultra stealth device. The rule for years now for anyone in a position of power is “look at what they do not what they say”. The other way to think of it is to insert the phrase “it is to my advantage for you to believe that..” in front of any statement.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CarolT

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    Say what? As if we're supposed to think it's bad for them to satify consumers? He should be proudly defending it, and attacking Tobacco Control (as the cigarette companies also should have, and didn't).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I hesitate to second guess a BT publicity stance.
    There are a lot of things BT sucks hard at but marketing isn’t one of them.
    They can’t design anything well, they can’t build anything well, they can’t tell the truth, they don’t care if their customers die horribly or not, but making a publicity campaign and manipulating the government, that they absolutely excell at.

If he’s saying this stuff millions of research dollars have been spent on those words. Lying well is literally the only skill of these people and if they are saying something they’re doing it for a very carefully calculated reason designed to advance their actual interests.
    If their statements don’t jive with their claimed interest it just means that their claimed interests and their actual ones aren’t the same.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    It may be that the game is deeper or more directed than you or I know. That statement was meant for someone to hear. It probably wasn’t you or me though. A lot of politicians sound crazy. Usually when they do it’s because their message was tailored for someone other than you, whether the politician in question is claiming to talk to you or not. This was a classic problem in the Cold War. I’ve mentioned this on this forum before but I had a roommate in college who had a father who worked in diplomacy and as a result he grew up literally all over the world. His statement was (more or less, it was a long time ago)
    “If you live in the western bloc the eastern bloc rhetoric sounds crazy but the western bloc rhetoric sounds reasonable. If you live in the eastern bloc the eastern bloc rhetoric sounds sane but the western bloc rhetoric sounds crazy. If you live in the third world though BOTH the eastern bloc and western bloc rhetoric sound crazy”

Statements are carefully couched to appeal to a given population. The actual facts of the matter aren’t as important as how they are put.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. bobwho77

bobwho77 Super Member ECF Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Ypsilanti mi
    Don't forget that current FDA regulations prohibit manufacturers from making any claims of health benefits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nermal

Nermal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    I've finally met someone as cynical as myself. Cool!

• Like Like x 1
  9. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    The sad bit is it’s not even cynicism. That observation was made to me in the 80s. It’s old news. It’s not merely how things are done, it’s how they’ve been done for a long time.

This is why I like news from outside the interested party sphere. They actually get a decent view of what is going on because no one is spending money on a reality distortion field tailored to just them, or if it is, it isn’t tailored to me so it will hopefully be easier to notice. I read as much news about the US from as far outside the US as I can get. I also try to get as many versions as possible.

What I find most fascinating about inside the US created news is how wildly different it is between the blue areas and the red areas. It’s Cold War level difference. So I look outside the US to see which group has more of the truth.

• Like Like x 5
  10. marianna

marianna Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2012
    Netherlands
    Don't understand the problem... just poor out the juice and fill it with your own.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Not sure if that was sarcasm or not.

The problem is nicotine e-cigarettes are getting truly awful and highly damaging press because a widely respected organization is conflating the use of any vaporizer use no matter how iffy and stupid with “vaping” and “e-cigarettes” in general. They’re not caring that the majority of users of these devices do not put unsafe things in their devices and painting the devices themselves as widely dangerous rather than what is put in them. It’s a publicity issue not a reality issue.

• Like Like x 3
  12. CarolT

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    I disagree, because their messaging only looks good if you don't know what they could be saying instead. Namely, attacking Tobacco Control's scientific fraud. And it's not just TC using it. All the cliques who seek to blame peoples' lifestyles ignore the role of infection. Even the ones that blame chemicals do the same. Yet none of those who are their targets ever expose this fraud. The supposed defenders have all bought into the scam, including lawyers and "experts" alike. The experts on infection simply don't have the institutional influence of the charlatans.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Really? BT has been BT for a loooong time. they've been suppressing and lying about products and information since the 1930’s. It’s documented. There are whole Hollywood movies about it. You seem to have some sort of umbrella opinion about “chemicals” which isn’t very clear to me here. You btw are made of chemicals. That’s how physics works. Also your understanding of the word “infection” seems to be skewed in this instance.

• Like Like x 1
  14. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    That is a very strategic statement. We all know teens and the dumb will do the opposite of what they are told. Even though I bet he just like, SAID it and not "implored it (you dumb CENSORED journalist who cannot write YOU. Sorry. Having a MOMENT with the media right now and like, freaking HATING them more than politicians .Yes HARD to believe.)

BUT I MEAN THEY AREN'T EVEN RICH OR POWERFUL. They are lackys doing the lazy work that they are told to DO!!!!!! Anderson Cooper is LITERALLY a ROBOT! ARGH.

Sorry back to what I was saying, he can look good and encouraged teens and whatever to not use his Juul (censored pipe.)

You know who should not be buying it???? US the vapers, the ones who ARE putting the most money in Juul's freaking COFFER. The VAPERS are the ones lining up every day to get their Juul pod for the day, like they did cigarettes, I saw them lining up EVERY day in Tucson at my local gas station.

Remember, the Juuls are the cockroaches of the vaping world. They will be here LONG after everything else vaping is GONE. Every time you vape a Juul someone's hope, somewhere, dies. Every time you vape Juul you are putting a COCKROACH to your lips.

He can sound all good and butt-kissing in that statement but he does NOT mean for teens and young adult non smokers not to try it. He knows he can look good, while simultaneously EGGING ON teens to freaking vape.

It's called a mixed message and it can be VERY effective.

He doesn't care other than his bottom line. Period. It is not about "caring" for the teens, it is about "covering" his rear end so that Juul can cockroach on,

Anna

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Northstar6

Northstar6 Senior Member

May 16, 2019
    To be fair, I'm sure he never wanted to say this...but he has the FDA to answer to, as well as shareholders.

I think at this point Juul won't hesitate to do or say whatever it takes to stay afloat, including throwing the entire vape industry under the bus, as long as they still get sales...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.