Do any refillable pod systems use silica wicks like the Juul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Do any refillable pod systems use silica wicks like the juul?

It seems like the most common complaint about pod systems is dry cotton hits. Some of it may be due to folks not properly "priming". But at least some of it comes from chain vaping and/or poor wicking.

I've heard people say that the juul doesn't have this problem because it is regulated. But the Juul couldn't have that problem since it doesn't have cotton wicks.

"Our JUULpods are constructed with heat resistant, food-grade plastics, and contain a stainless steel vapor path, an industry standard silica wick, and nichrome coil heater."

Although Juul calls it "industry standard", it seems like everyone else is using cotton. There seems to be some concern about the use of silica wicks (see links below) but it doesn't seem to have hurt the popularity of the Juul.

Silica wick VS Cotton
reddit: the front page of the internet

Does Juul get away with using silica because of their popularity? Or is part of their popularity because they're using silica so that you don't get any cotton hits? Any other company make refillable pods that use a silica wick?

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The U-boat uses ceramic wicks. Most of the others have silica wicks. Having silica (or ceramic) does NOT protect you from dry hits. Can make it worse in fact because it doesn’t wick as well. Plus there’s the whole silicosis thing. All wicks used to be silica. Cotton was such an improvement that silica was more or less abandoned. It wicks better than silica.

Cotton is more or less precluded for the tiny microcoils used in pod systems though.

• Useful

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
I'm confused...

Most of the others have silica wicks...
Cotton is more or less precluded for the tiny microcoils used in pod systems though.

Can you give some examples of these other refillable pods with silica wicks? Most that I've seen have cotton wicks. For example, the companies claim the following have cotton wicks: Kandy Pens Rubi, Vapeccino Mate 1, Smok Fit, Smok Infinix, Blu Myblu, OVNS Saber, Suorin Air, Suorin Drop, Suorin iShare, Suorin Eva.

The U-boat uses ceramic wicks.

According to product information on some dealer sites, the Uboat uses a ceramic coil and organic cotton wick. Is this incorrect?

The Kandipens Rubi has a ceramic coil and uses cotton for a wick.
"Ceramic Coil with Japanese Cotton"
rubi-pod-Best Vape Pen | Best Vaporizer | Best Vaporizer Pen

Having silica (or ceramic) does NOT protect you from dry hits. Can make it worse in fact because it doesn’t wick as well.

So would a dry hit with a silica wick just not do anything? It wouldn't produce vapor or taste of cotton.

Last edited:

Feelm Tech

Unregistered Supplier
Apr 19, 2018
Shenzhen
www.feelmtech.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm confused...

Can you give some examples of these other refillable pods with silica wicks? Most that I've seen have cotton wicks. For example, the companies claim the following have cotton wicks: Kandy Pens Rubi, Vapeccino Mate 1, Smok Fit, Smok Infinix, Blu Myblu, OVNS Saber, Suorin Air, Suorin Drop, Suorin iShare, Suorin Eva.

According to product information on some dealer sites, the Uboat uses a ceramic coil and organic cotton wick. Is this incorrect?

The Kandipens Rubi has a ceramic coil and uses cotton for a wick.
"Ceramic Coil with Japanese Cotton"
rubi-pod-Best Vape Pen | Best Vaporizer | Best Vaporizer Pen

So would a dry hit with a silica wick just not do anything? It wouldn't produce vapor or taste of cotton.
The peas, which is the device I own seems to have silica wick. Silica wick is not an advantage for a pod subsystem though. It’s only real advantage is that you can dry burn the wick, and you can’t dry burn a pod system.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
The peas, which is the device I own seems to have silica wick. Silica wick is not an advantage for a pod subsystem though. It’s only real advantage is that you can dry burn the wick, and you can’t dry burn a pod system.

Actually the Peas uses cotton as well, according to the company (photo and link below).

All these companies are trying to make a pod system that's a "Juul killer" but they copy everything except the wick. And on social media, like Reddit, people are complaining over and over about dry cotton hits on the devices. That's by far the most common topic that I see when reading about pod systems on social media.

It seems to make sense that there's no problem with cotton taste on the Juul since it uses a silica wick. If these companies want to copy the Juul, maybe they should try copying the wick as well. A Juul sometimes doesn't produce much vapor and you have tap the air bubbles away from the wick, but there is never a cotton taste. The silica wicks might not wick as well but it seems it would eliminate the complaints about the cotton taste that are driving some people away from these devices. But perhaps a silica wick would lead to other complaints even though the Juul uses a silica wick and it is the most successful pod system. Don't know.

2c7c06fc.jpg

Warlock Peas

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Actually the Peas uses cotton as well, according to the company (photo and link below).

All these companies are trying to make a pod system that's a "Juul killer" but they copy everything except the wick. And on social media, like Reddit, people are complaining over and over about dry cotton hits on the devices. That's by far the most common topic that I see when reading about pod systems on social media.

It seems to make sense that there's no problem with cotton taste on the Juul since it uses a silica wick. If these companies want to copy the Juul, maybe they should try copying the wick as well. A Juul sometimes doesn't produce much vapor and you have tap the air bubbles away from the wick, but there is never a cotton taste. The silica wicks might not wick as well but it seems it would eliminate the complaints about the cotton taste that are driving some people away from these devices. But perhaps a silica wick would lead to other complaints even though the Juul uses a silica wick and it is the most successful pod system. Don't know.

2c7c06fc.jpg

Warlock Peas
Looks like silica to me. Of course I haven’t taken one apart. Imho the reason juul is so popular is the gigantic amount of nicotine they put in the device. Once you start vaping one nothing else will work because no one else puts that much nic in a vape and there’s no way to reduce the nic so there’s no way to stop. It’s evil imho.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Looks like silica to me. Of course I haven’t taken one apart. Imho the reason juul is so popular is the gigantic amount of nicotine they put in the device. Once you start vaping one nothing else will work because no one else puts that much nic in a vape and there’s no way to reduce the nic so there’s no way to stop. It’s evil imho.

Haha! I agree about Juul's "evil" plan. :D

Did some searches and found that the Boulder Rock uses silica. The starter kit is only $9 so I might pick one up to try for fun.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona

Somehow "dry hit" has become associated with burning your cotton. "dry hit" was coined long before the use of cotton and comes from not enough liquid on the wick (to keep the coil temp down) and the little bit that is there burns.

zeng.jaihui

Unresolved Status
Apr 11, 2018
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread