DOT says no to e-cigs on planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
I have no problem with not allowing the use on planes. But the article states "Many airlines already have begun informing passengers that the devices are not allowed on flights". I have an issue with that because I want to carry my PV with me- I don't want to put it in my checked baggage. What if my bags get lost, then I have nothing to vape.

Darth Octane

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
Colorado
I have vaped on planes for 3 years. I have never had anyone say anything to me. I just use a smaller device (leave the GG in the carryon till I arrive) and hold the vapor a bit longer. Some people say we shouldnt have to "stealth" vape, but frankly I dont care. I am not trying to make s how on a plane. I just want my nocotine fix and to enjoy my vape.

JudgeVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
D.C./Maryland
A surprisingly well-written article. The only thing they got wrong was categorically stating that e-cigarettes have an end that lights up when they should have included the word "some."

That the DOT is moving this way should come as a surprise to no one. From the article:

"We still don't know the health effects of e-cigarettes, and we don't want to turn airline passengers into laboratory mice," Lautenberg said in an e-mailed statement.

This statement is, unfortunately, 100% correct. While medical evidence is, so far, quite favorable, we have not yet reached (and may be many years away from reaching) a point where we know that they are not harmful in some way. Plus, it is unreasonable to expect your average passenger to know anything about e-cigarette use (or even that they exist) and not possibly freak out when they see plumes of vapor wafting towards them (and their children). You also cannot place the onus of dealing with this on airline staff.

It is also entirely unreasonable for the airlines to sanction the use of e-cigs in lavatories for a couple of reasons, the most important being that there is often too long of a line for lavs as it is.

The airline (and DOT) concerns about e-cig use is definitely more about perception than any real evidence of potential harm to others. At least one airline's policy against them, if I remember correctly, even indirectly acknowledges this. But even a prohibition based on perceptions is not inherently unreasonable.

Such a policy will obviously up the ante for those of you that choose to stealth vape in your airline seat. Now, instead of just possibly violating an airline policy (not a big deal, might get banned from the airline), you would be violating a DOT regulation and could possibly be punished with a fine (or worse) if caught using them. I would not at all be surprised to hear "e-cigarettes are also prohibited" added to the pre-flight flight attendant preamble on all flights soon.

Chime

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
Can you blame them? Some mods look like pipe bombs.. Literally!

If the pre-screening security personal with their countless million dollar scanners and x-rays can't discern the difference between an actual pipe bomb and a harmless electronic device, I'm not sure I want to depart from that airport.

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
I would not at all be surprised to hear "e-cigarettes are also prohibited" added to the pre-flight flight attendant preamble on all flights soon.

If you page through the inflight magazine, you will see that e-cigarette use is strictly prohibited while onboard the aircraft but it is fine to have them in your carry-on bags. I think you're right, though, as most folks don't bother to read the complimentary mag!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread