E-cig's in No Smoking area's

Status
Not open for further replies.

2-cardis

Jan 11, 2009
Cypress, TX
Ok guys, y'all keep boasting about smoking in your office buildings, restaurant's, on trains and planes.... What is it that you say to the landlord, restaurant management etc, that makes this OK to smoke with so many other clients that disagree with the sight of smoke and don't realize this is not really smoke???
One of my clients is a flight attendant for Continental and he said that they were given a memo about 6 weeks ago that stated the e-cigs are not to be smoked onboard.

Austintatious

Jan 6, 2009
Ok guys, y'all keep boasting about smoking in your office buildings, restaurant's, on trains and planes.... What is it that you say to the landlord, restaurant management etc, that makes this OK to smoke with so many other clients that disagree with the sight of smoke and don't realize this is not really smoke???
One of my clients is a flight attendant for Continental and he said that they were given a memo about 6 weeks ago that stated the e-cigs are not to be smoked onboard.

I believe a business owner has every right to tell you not to use an E cig in his establishment.. I also believe that a business owner should have the right to allow smoking analogs if they choose ( of course the Gov is taking away that right)

I think your BEST bet is to ask them prior if it would be OK and explain it to them if necessary.

As to people complaining about the sight of it... F em... they don't have the "right" to not see things that offend them.

2-cardis

Jan 11, 2009
Cypress, TX
I totally agree, thats why I like dogs more than people :)
I am just concerned because my office looks out into an atrium, there are lots of folks on the other side that can see into my office space and I'd hate for the management to constantly have to thwart phone calls about me SMOKING in my office!! I just moved into this office a week ago!

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
Some employers will deny it for sure, because it does look like smoking and they don't want that image.

I'm not trying to push it in people's faces and taunt them with how it technically gets around the law. I just use it in public restrooms and in places where nobody can really see me. I get my nic fix and I haven't started an issue. If we start an issue, e-cigs will get banned even faster, so we aren't doing ourselves any favors, IMO.

HDBanger

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montrose, MN
But, tiptoeing around and hiding something that is completely legal and NO restrictions put upon it at all, YET, is probably worse than smoking it outright, like you have the right to DO. I smoke it where I damn well please, and if someone has a problem, they can ask me about it, but I wont put it away, Ill leave first. Of course, I dont drink, and I dont go to bars, so this is all probably moot anyways, But I just cant stand it when people give up their rights because others "perceive" something other than whats actually going on. F^%$ them, and let them all rot and go to hell. :thumb:

2-cardis

Jan 11, 2009
Cypress, TX
That is one of the main reason's I am asking this question.....I really have no idea what my "rights" are in the case. The fact that the e-cigs are great for us mostly former smokers doesn't mean the main population knows what they are and some will totally flip out. I'm a die hard republican...not going to easily take my rights away, but I need to know for sure that I have this right!!

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
We don't technically have a "right" to e-cigs. Believe me, I'm all about NOT giving up my rights - fighting like hell on the gun issues right now, for example, but there is no "right" to vaping in public. We have a loophole niche and it meets lots of standards for getting banned, and will surely be sooner rather than later if we push our luck. That's a lose-lose for those of us who are trying to wean ourselves off this nicotine addiction. If they ban them in a year, I might be on low to zero nic. If they ban them tomorrow, I'm running to the store for analogs.

Look at nicotine water. All we have to do is piss off one of the anti-smoking groups, they start a petition and we're done.

HDBanger

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montrose, MN
Well pretty much any business has the right to refuse service and kick anyone out that they wish, so that is all up to the business owner, to bad they dont have the right to LET you smoke analogs even if they wished. But as for public places, other peoples ignorance is NOT my problem, why should I go out of my way to explain myself, they can ask, be happy with the answer, or got to hell.. I have no time for ignorance or people who think they have the right to tell me what I can or cant do. I also dont give a rats ... what people think, but you could probably tell that already. :D

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
The question of "rights" with e-smoking is as vexed as it is with any other kind of public behaviour. Is it bad manners to fart or vomit at the dinner table? Well, yes - but is it illegal? Probably not. When vaping in a bar or restaurant it is best imho to ask the proprietor first - if he says "ok" then go for it - but if he says "no" after a while then accept it and, if necessary, vote with your feet. We have not been given a right to vape - it simply isn't illegal in the U.K....YET. That's nowhere near a "right" that we can defend, unfortunately.

HDBanger

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montrose, MN
We don't technically have a "right" to e-cigs. Believe me, I'm all about NOT giving up my rights - fighting like hell on the gun issues right now, for example, but there is no "right" to vaping in public. We have a loophole niche and it meets lots of standards for getting banned, and will surely be sooner rather than later if we push our luck. That's a lose-lose for those of us who are trying to wean ourselves off this nicotine addiction. If they ban them in a year, I might be on low to zero nic. If they ban them tomorrow, I'm running to the store for analogs.

Look at nicotine water. All we have to do is piss off one of the anti-smoking groups, they start a petition and we're done.

The only way they will be banned is if regular analogs are also banned first. Which may very well happen, but like I said, we have rights, whether acknowledged , perceived, or by birth. There is no second hand smoke, no flame, there is NO reason to ban them other than ignorance and control, Id say if they do get banned, it wont be anti smoking groups, it will be the big tobacco companies lobbying congress..Watch and see..

HDBanger

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montrose, MN
The question of "rights" with e-smoking is as vexed as it is with any other kind of public behaviour. Is it bad manners to fart or vomit at the dinner table? Well, yes - but is it illegal? Probably not. When vaping in a bar or restaurant it is best imho to ask the proprietor first - if he says "ok" then go for it - but if he says "no" after a while then accept it and, if necessary, vote with your feet. We have not been given a right to vape - it simply isn't illegal in the U.K....YET. That's nowhere near a "right" that we can defend, unfortunately.

We have not been given a right to vape

Yes you have, your birthright. Just because something resembles something else, and is frowned upon, does not mean you have no right to do it. You have the right, until THEY take it away from you, which may or may not be ethical or moral for anyone to do to anyone else, but they get away with it. I have the right to do whatever I want, unless I infringe on anothers same rights, period.

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
The only way they will be banned is if regular analogs are also banned first. Which may very well happen, but like I said, we have rights, whether acknowledged , perceived, or by birth. There is no second hand smoke, no flame, there is NO reason to ban them other than ignorance and control, Id say if they do get banned, it wont be anti smoking groups, it will be the big tobacco companies lobbying congress..Watch and see..

That's absolutely untrue. You should read up on the issue a little bit. Like I said, look into the nicotine water issue. No second-hand issues with that, no smoke, no flame, but it was jerked off the market. Why? Because the anti groups sent a petition to the FDA. Done. Boom. Gone. It is making a comeback but it's four years later and I'm waiting to see if it flies this time. It very well may not.

You're inhaling vapors from an untested, Chinese sourced liquid. You don't truly know what is in there. Nobody does. The almighty government will "protect" you from that by banning it. Flaunt it in public and you'll have the attention of the antis in a heartbeat. The first public smoking bans were in places where children tend to hang out - fast food restaurants. They didn't want smokers influencing children to start up the habit. They banned flavored cigarettes because of kids getting into the nictone habit. We're "smoking" chocolate flavor out of a pink electronic device with a cool blue LED tip. Think about it. Think of the hysteria when they start to realize it's an untested liquid coming from China. Spend some time on the FDA site and the law section below. People are marketing this as a device to quit smoking, right there in your local mall. That puts it under the FDA jurisdiction and it could be banned next week due to that idiotic marketing ploy alone.

HDBanger

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montrose, MN
Well that may be true. I dont know anything about nicotine water, but you may have a point. BUT, my point is, Im not goin to hide it, Im not ashamed of it, and I dont care what others think. I have the RIGHT to use it where I please until told differantly and even then, if I dont think its fair, Ill snub it. Same thing with guns, they may one day ban them, they sure are trying, but that is where I draw the line, come and try to take my guns, you will get em, one bullet at a time, until you eventually get me, and then my guns, but at that point, Ill be dead, and wont need them. I for one am sick of the nanny state BS, and I refuse to take it any longer. Im not tryin to argue or flame anyone for their opinions etc, Im just of the type that wont take the bs any longer. I have rights, and Ill defend them.

MasonM

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2008
Florida
I simply use mine and if asked if I am smoking, or someone tells me that smoking isn't allowed I explain to them what it is and that I am not smoking. So far I have never had anyone in any business refuse to allow me to vape there once they know what it is.

But, the bottom line is that the owner of the property has every right to refuse to allow it. It's their right as the owner.

Texas

Dec 31, 2008
TEXAS!
But, the bottom line is that the owner of the property has every right to refuse to allow it. It's their right as the owner.

I agree with you on that... I have not tried it out as of yet in public, only in my car and in the walmart bathroom.. I did show a nurse at the doctors office when my wife had to go we told her we quit smoking regular cigs and that started the convo then to the demonstration, where she wanted to know where to buy one for her husband that was trying to quit.. :)
I vaped right there in the doctors office..lol

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
We have not been given a right to vape

Yes you have, your birthright. Just because something resembles something else, and is frowned upon, does not mean you have no right to do it. You have the right, until THEY take it away from you, which may or may not be ethical or moral for anyone to do to anyone else, but they get away with it. I have the right to do whatever I want, unless I infringe on anothers same rights, period.

ignorantia juris non excusat. The law is quite clear on the point that an owner of an establishment can tell you to fly off if he doesn't like what you're doing - whatever that is. I am completely in agreement when it comes to a question of our rights being eroded - read some of my other posts - but on this one we have NO rights in other peoples' establishments unless they bestow them on us. In the open air - go for it!:)

HDBanger

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montrose, MN
lol, novus ordo seclorum.. Keep the people poor, and stupid. Anyways, good stuff, and I agree about the establishment parts, they do have the right to allow/disallow what they please, but they also have NO rights to allow peeps to smoke reg analogs, so thats kind of moot there. They should retain those rights btw. But back to the topic of not knowing if the ejuice is "safe" or not, I made this little video just a few minutes ago, this to me, proves it is safe..Kind of like the canary in the mine pit deal, if the bird dies, dont go in without oxygen, if your dog dont like it, it's probably bad for you..:cool:

YouTube - Gabby chompin smoke rings

If you tried this with an anolog, he would bail as soon as you lit it..

Last edited:

riddle80

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2008
Nashville, TN
It depends on where I'm at. I went to a wedding convention (thousands of people were there) last weekend and didn't dare vape because I didn't want to have to explain myself to everyone. I've vaped in a bowling alley and in a restaurant before with no problems. We had to explain it to the manager both times, but after I said it contains no tobacco and produces no second hand smoke it was ok. Everyone will be curious, sometimes upset at the appearance of" smoke" but it's really up to you if you want to constantly explain yourself.

Always respect the establishments wishes though. If they don't want you to vape because it looks like smoking (that's the only real excuse I see them having), then don't do it. I'd suggest to explain to someone before hand what your doing as well.

I wish these would of came out before the smoking bans took place. It doesn't seem too long ago I could smoke almost anywhere here in TN. I think it would be a much smoother transition to e-cigs if they didn't stand out like a sore thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread