Double stacked tvl shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thybor_ferenzy

Dec 9, 2018
Good morning. I need some help. I've been vaping for the last 6 years and have exclusively used single battery 18650 mech mods. Recently th mod I ordered was not in stock so I was given a free upgrade to a double stacked tvl shotgun silencer mod... I have a Kennedy 24 (3post) and a gold plated magnet to go between the 2 batteries to connect the flat top Sony vtc5a batteries I normally use. Now that's as far as I've gotten. I know ohms law and that my usual build of 20 gadge 4 wrap ss wire will explode if I use it in this mod. My question is multiple... 1 what type of batteries am I supposed to use. Flat or button top?
2 what wire / build would support this much power
3 I want a coil that will be around .4 ..... and assume the easiest way to get this is by buying pre built ones.
I have yet to fire this mod and have a healthy fear of doing something wrong any and all advice will be much appreciated

Attachments

• 20181206_190853.jpg
    20181206_190853.jpg
    954.6 KB · Views: 39

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
A healthy fear of a stacked mod is a good thing.

First, lose the magnet. You won't (or shouldn't) need it.

Second, your VTC5A cells are good. A set of LG HB2/4/6 might be better. There's a newer cell that @Mooch has rated better, but I cannot recall what UT is off the top of my head... Maybe a Samsung 20s?

You're also right about needing 0.4Ω or better. But, you've also got to have some mass there. It's easy to reach 0.4Ω with 28AWG Ka1, but that'll melt in a hurry. To accomplish this task, you'll first want to put a new 2-post RDA on top... It'll be quite rough to fit a 0.4Ω dual with sufficient mass into a 3-post Kennedy.

• Agree
Reactions: VapourFlavour

Thybor_ferenzy

Dec 9, 2018
Th batteries I have Sony 's are flat top they do not connect without the magnet. It's a tiny thing that makes the connection like a button top would ...or should I be using a button top battery. I have a goon I can put on there. Kanthal ..easy enough now mass of coil.. I guess a compliated build then. As I am not up to this and wouldn't trust a coil built by myself on this mod, any ideas of a reputable hand built kanthal coil with sufficient mass in the .4 range ... links appreciated. Anything I get I will heat up on a single battery mod and test on ohm meter befor & after wicked
Before putting on the stacked mod.

Thybor_ferenzy

Dec 9, 2018
A healthy fear of a stacked mod is a good thing.

First, lose the magnet. You won't (or shouldn't) need it.

Second, your VTC5A cells are good. A set of LG HB2/4/6 might be better. There's a newer cell that @Mooch has rated better, but I cannot recall what UT is off the top of my head... Maybe a Samsung 20s?

You're also right about needing 0.4Ω or better. But, you've also got to have some mass there. It's easy to reach 0.4Ω with 28AWG Ka1, but that'll melt in a hurry. To accomplish this task, you'll first want to put a new 2-post RDA on top... It'll be quite rough to fit a 0.4Ω dual with sufficient mass into a 3-post Kennedy.
batteries I have Sony 's are flat top they do not connect without the magnet. It's a tiny thing that makes the connection like a button top would ...or should I be using a button top battery. I have a goon I can put on there. Kanthal ..easy enough now mass of coil.. I guess a compliated build then. As I am not up to this and wouldn't trust a coil built by myself on this mod, any ideas of a reputable hand built kanthal coil with sufficient mass in the .4 range ... links appreciated. Anything I get I will heat up on a single battery mod and test on ohm meter befor & after wicked
Before putting on the stacked mod

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
batteries I have Sony 's are flat top they do not connect without the magnet. It's a tiny thing that makes the connection like a button top would ...or should I be using a button top battery. I have a goon I can put on there. Kanthal ..easy enough now mass of coil.. I guess a compliated build then. As I am not up to this and wouldn't trust a coil built by myself on this mod, any ideas of a reputable hand built kanthal coil with sufficient mass in the .4 range ... links appreciated. Anything I get I will heat up on a single battery mod and test on ohm meter befor & after wicked
Before putting on the stacked mod
I know what the magnet is and what it's for. I also know that it's dangerous. No button tops are needed. Adjust for battery rattle. I do not have a TVL, but I believe that there is a piece of delrin in but button assembly that can be raised or lowered to adjust...

24AWG 3.0mm 10 wrap dual should yield 0.4Ω

Thybor_ferenzy

Dec 9, 2018
I know what the magnet is and what it's for. I also know that it's dangerous. No button tops are needed. Adjust for battery rattle. I do not have a TVL, but I believe that there is a piece of delrin in but button assembly that can be raised or lowered to adjust...

K thanks. Yes there is a derlin with threads to adjust I just dint see how..(havent tried yet) the 2 flat top batteries connect without the magnet when put neg to positive . But after I make that coil I will test out. I'm suprised it's so hard to find reliable info on setting this up.. a few Russian videos on youtube....sheesh.

Thybor_ferenzy

Dec 9, 2018

And that would be kanthal ? Correct?

Thybor_ferenzy

Dec 9, 2018
Sorry to be a bother but would a coil of just 9 wrap 24 kanthal have have enough mass to not fizzle out. I'm new to the terms but not to electricity. This would be a build on a series correct and a 3 post rda uses the center post to combine the 2 coils .. with the voltage being doubled would not a coil with greater mass hold up better. I want to be as safe as possible before I go foward. I wanted to get a few pre built coils and test then out & pulse them into shape on a single battery mod before I put then in stacked mod.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Sorry to be a bother but would a coil of just 9 wrap 24 kanthal have have enough mass to not fizzle out. I'm new to the terms but not to electricity. This would be a build on a series correct and a 3 post rda uses the center post to combine the 2 coils .. with the voltage being doubled would not a coil with greater mass hold up better. I want to be as safe as possible before I go foward. I wanted to get a few pre built coils and test then out & pulse them into shape on a single battery mod before I put then in stacked mod.
9 wrap 3.0mm 24AWG KA1 would work, but I question whether those coils would comfortably fit in a 3 post atty.

• Agree

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Make sure that you check the resistance of the coil on an ohm meter or a regulated mod (after you've installed it in an atomizer) before you fire it on a mech.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

• Agree

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
Good morning. I need some help. I've been vaping for the last 6 years and have exclusively used single battery 18650 mech mods. Recently th mod I ordered was not in stock so I was given a free upgrade to a double stacked tvl shotgun silencer mod... I have a Kennedy 24 (3post) and a gold plated magnet to go between the 2 batteries to connect the flat top Sony vtc5a batteries I normally use. Now that's as far as I've gotten. I know ohms law and that my usual build of 20 gadge 4 wrap ss wire will explode if I use it in this mod. My question is multiple... 1 what type of batteries am I supposed to use. Flat or button top?
2 what wire / build would support this much power
3 I want a coil that will be around .4 ..... and assume the easiest way to get this is by buying pre built ones.
I have yet to fire this mod and have a healthy fear of doing something wrong any and all advice will be much appreciated

If you're "stacking" (2) batteries; a safe series build would be around .3Ω-.6Ω+.
If you're using (1) ex. tube mechs; *.15Ω-.2Ω is safe. *Varies depending if you like loooong drags or quick pulls and how much airflow you have.
Any wire depending on the Ω is ok to use. Wire is personal preference. I prefer SS, Ni80, or Kanthal.

For 18650 mechs, I recommend Sony VTC5, Samsungs, and LGs.
*For 2X700 mechs, use Samsung 30Ts.
*Bench Results: Samsung 30T 21700

Nice Mod btw (stacked TVL shotgun).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread