Dreaming About Smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Amarillo, Texas
I had a TERRIBLE dream last night. It even woke me up it was so bad. The worst part about it, on reflection, was that I was smoking in the dream and had to go back into a bad situation because I had forgotten to pick up my pack of cigs! I'm coming up on four years that I've been smoke-free, and this is the first time in almost that long since I've dreamed I was smoking. Has anyone else had that experience after so long?

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Excuse me for laughing when I first read your post. OK, you couldn't hear me laugh but I couldn't help it and needed to apologize. I have been cig free coming up on 3 years the end of the month. I have smoking dreams and in my dream, I know I quit and still continue to smoke. I'm like @Vapemesilly, my last drink was in March, 1986 and they are the dreams that really scare me. The dreams are normal so there is nothing to worry about. Congratulations on 4 years smoke free.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have a hard time remembering my dreams, but I am going to bet I smoke in some of them. I did dream about drinking when I quit, my most annoying dream being going to a party, drinking what I KNEW was not alcohol, and getting drunk anyway. I roamed the party in a cold sweat, wondering what was going on. When I woke up, my first thought was, "How unfair, I totally TRIED not to get drunk and did anyway." LOL.

These type of dreams are not uncommon in the beginning, or even sometimes later. I know they did a study on folks who wound up in wheelchairs, and IIRC, it took between a year to about 10 before folks no longer dreamed of "walking." If a huge change happens in your life, well it takes some time for your subconscious to adjust, as it were. I kind of felt sad knowing that even folks who have become paras, will eventually stop dreaming they walk. Although I don't know if that situation is painful, or welcomed. I guess it could be either.

I just started ignoring my dreams, and mostly don't remember them. I was going through a bad time and got sick of the nightmares. I kind of view sleep as "blissful whiteout" these days. LOL.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread