Smoking Dreams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am sure I do but I don't remember my dreams.

I had drunk dreams for years after I quit drinking. ONE particularly pernicious one was like, I was at a party and I was like, "DO NOT DRINK ANNA" like drinking out of bathroom taps or sealed containers and I got DRUNK anyway. It always seemed so unfair. I used to get really hot and bothered about it, I never had drinking dreams where I was like, "OOh sweet, I'mma gonna get WASTED." Dreams last longer than IRL.

On the bright side, they say it takes between 2--10 years for amputees and wheelchair ridden to make it into their dreams fully. They are still walking/have both arms, etc.

I don't know how I'd feel waking up to THAT. Rotten, probably.

But they are a thing and yes they will pass. Try not to sweat it.

Anna

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
While out in Spain recently I watched an old black and white Sherlock Holmes film on Netflix with Basil Rathbone and he was smoking a silver mounted Peterson pipe - the kind I used to collect.

That night I dreamed I was Sherlock, but he moment I lit that pipe I choked. Woke up in a panic pouring sweat and I jumped out of bed to open the window ... I was actually coming down with the 'flu so it was just a fever dream!

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Have not had a smoke for just over 5 years and still get the occasional using dream where I'm smoking. Well, I am almost smoking. The dreams are usually me trying to buy a pack. I usually wake up right before I light one up. I know it's odd, but it is always the same theme, wake up just before lighting up. It's funny, I quit drinking and other stuff just about 13 years ago and have the same type of dream for some of those as well.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
The best dreams I have are with NRT patches, really vibrant, like something out a Jackson Pollock.

Like I said most of mine are really strange like if David Lynch, Tim Burton, George Romero, John Carpenter and Steven King all collaborated on a movie that might get close. Then again I do watch a LOT of horror and Sci-Fi when I am awake and have since I was 7. The first two movies I ever watched on VCR was Alien (the original Sigourney Weaver movie) and The Boogey Man (1980).

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
"Get outta my dreams, get into my lungs" - Billy Ocean. The OP put that song in my head.

I remember having some odd smoking related dreams in the first few months after I quit. It only took a few days for cold butts, ash trays and stale smoke on peoples' clothing to really start turning my stomach, though. I still like the smell of a freshly lit cigarette on the breeze. There's no helping me with that. Just keep vaping. Best decision I've personally ever made.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Funny thing for me is I never used to dream so vividly while I was using tobacco as I do now. I had some absolutely amazing dreams about 3 weeks and on after quitting tobacco.
Just to clarify -"amazing dreams" = nightmares just as often as pleasant or weird dreams.
I read somewhere on teh interwebz, so it must be right ;) , that it couldve been that my serotonin levels returning to normal, or something like that.
The dreams have leveled out in their intensity but still more vivid and regular than the last decade or so of smoking.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I became sober about 18 years ago and at times my dreams including smoking the latin lettuce with my buddies. Funny thing is they always end with me worrying about a drug test at work.

It's not unusual to have things in your dreams you no longer engage in. I broke my knee as a teen and at times my dreams still involve me on crutches....
Usually entering a room with wet tile floors and freeze at the door knowing one more step means "oops, splat" as the crutches don't play nice with wet tile floors.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I haven't had any smoking dreams since I started vaping. Back in the day I quit smoking numerous times using the gum and the patch. I had LOTS of smoking dreams during those times but none with vaping.

I am sober 31 years and still have occasional drinking dreams and sometimes doping dreams.

The mind is such an interesting place.

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
While I quit smoking and switched to vaping, my wife never did so there were always cigarettes around.

Early into my vaping, I dreamt that I was Rick Castle from the TV show "Castle". In the dream, Castle's partner, Detective Beckett, was smoking a cigarette (the character didn't smoke in the show) and she handed me the lit cigarette to pick up a piece of evidence. In the dream, I was genuinely disgusted and horrified at holding a lit cigarette.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I hardly ever have vivid dreams, but there are times when I wake up during one and remember the last part. Smoking seems so far away after 9 years out that I don't really think about smoking much anymore. When I do I'm glad to be a non-smoker. I thought I'd smoke till my last breath.

Quitting was hard until vaping came along. One week into vaping and I was down from 2 PAD to about 6 a day without trying. One day several months out I decided not to buy a pack and never wanted another one as long as I could vape.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I have dreams in which I'm smoking quite often. I'm just over a year smoke-free.

I always wake up thinking 'oh crap' then realise I was dreaming and reach for my vape.

What is funny about my dreams is every time I have a cigarette (in the dream) it's because I can never find my vape gear :rolleyes:

Considering I have at least 10 different setups all ready to go, you'd think by now my subconscious would've caught up ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread