Drip Tip, Should I get one with a Wide Bore??

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Hello Again Guys

I was wondering. If I was to put a Drip Tip with a much wider bore on top onto my Zenith tank, would that increase the amount of vapour I take in on each draw I have?

Thanks for the help,

Daniel

Welcome :)

As Eskie and Stols have said...probably not. The zenith is a starter kit and has a tight draw...it's an mouth to lung draw if my understanding is correct. If you'd like to create some clouds you are probably going to need a different tank...something like the cascade or the fireluke mesh.

Tell me what type of a vaper you are and i'll probably be able to suggest something that suits you?
:)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
“Wide bore drip tip” can mean either a drip tip with a thinner 510 wall and more airflow or simply a fatter tip that looks more like that of an 810 drip tip.
Either way I would also say probably no. A 510 connector is a 510 connector. If you put a big drip tip on it it may look like an 810, but it will still be a 510. Even if it became an actual 810 there’s a good chance it still wouldn’t help. @vapdivrr ’s suggestion will create the largest possible hole. If it does help a drip dip with a wide interior diameter may work better for you. The exterior diameter still won’t matter either way. Iirc the zenith came with two different drip tips one of which has a larger interior diameter than the other. I lost my zenith around Christmas though and I’m not sure I remember correctly.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Not really. It's still a tight draw that's restricted by the air holes and coil. I done believe a wide bore DT will make much of a difference.
    I wasn't too sure but I am going to give a sub-ohm tank a try as well , I prefer DTL and can vape easy on my Zenith that way. But I do like Lots of vapour I'd like to see what's best for me!

Thanks for the info Eskie,

Daniel

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Welcome :)

As Eskie and Stols have said...probably not. The zenith is a starter kit and has a tight draw...it's an mouth to lung draw if my understanding is correct. If you'd like to create some clouds you are probably going to need a different tank...something like the cascade or the fireluke mesh.

Tell me what type of a vaper you are and i'll probably be able to suggest something that suits you?
    :)
    I prefer DTL charlie1465

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    “Wide bore drip tip” can mean either a drip tip with a thinner 510 wall and more airflow or simply a fatter tip that looks more like that of an 810 drip tip.
    Either way I would also say probably no. A 510 connector is a 510 connector. If you put a big drip tip on it it may look like an 810, but it will still be a 510. Even if it became an actual 810 there’s a good chance it still wouldn’t help. @vapdivrr ’s suggestion will create the largest possible hole. If it does help a drip dip with a wide interior diameter may work better for you. The exterior diameter still won’t matter either way. Iirc the zenith came with two different drip tips one of which has a larger interior diameter than the other. I lost my zenith around Christmas though and I’m not sure I remember correctly.
    Thanks bombastinator, I have the spare drip tip that came with my tank. I shall try

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I don't think so either. You might have better luck with the plexus coils which are mesh and lower resistance although I have heard mixed things. It may be worth a shot. But, it's mostly coil, watts an airflow with that tank.

Anna

I was pretty sure it's alot based on the coil, I have a 0.5 ohm Next Generation Plexus that's going in next. Apparently supposed to be a big difference than first Plexus coil I was told, I'll see. I'm using a 0.8 at the moment.

Thanks stols001,(Anna)

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    It will make a difference. But likely very little, and probably even imperceptible. Many assume that the smallest hole in the entire pathway through a tank dictates the amount of flow you'll get, but this isn't true. The entire pathway contributes to determining the flow - from the intake, to the port below the coil, to the overall volume of the tank, and the tip itself.

If you want to do an experiment to prove it to yourself without reading data from engineers, try this: Take a sizeable length of poly tubing, like you'd use for an icemaker installation. Try a DL through a whole roll of 12 feet of it, and feel how restricted it is. Then cut a 1/2" length piece of it, and take another draw....huge difference, yet it's 1/4" all the way through.

But to your question: you probably won't notice the difference in a wider tip in the Zenith. Zenith wide open is pretty airy for MTL, but it won't turn it into a cloud machine. Still probably worth a try, though - tips are cheap, and you might like a new one better regardless.

Oh, and I'll keep preaching this: One day, tank manufacturers will give us pressure ratings for tanks at their various settings, instead of us having to do the mental exercise of comparing port sizes, AF intakes, and asking "is that tank tighter than a ________ tank?"

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Thanks bombastinator, I have the spare drip tip that came with my tank. I shall try
    Is it bigger on the inside? I don’t remember well. Iirc there was a plastic one and a metal one. The plastic one had the wider bore. Or something. I may have it backwards. Trying to get DL or probably even RDL out of a zenith with just a drip tip change is likely a lost cause though. A coil change might (maybe) get you RDL if they have a coil that will do it and fit. You want to blow gigantic clouds the size of a sheep though a whole different rig will be required.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I just gave mine away (literally shipped it today), so I can't check. And won't swear it- but I think they're both the same bore. Both that came with mine were black plastic, but one was straight, like you'll see it pictured all over websites - the other is shaped like a Nautilus 2. I'm pretty sure you won't feel a difference between the 2 that came with it. Try what Vapdivr said, and vape without a tip. If you get a big enough difference, they you might want to pursue a different tip.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I was pretty sure it's alot based on the coil, I have a 0.5 ohm Next Generation Plexus that's going in next. Apparently supposed to be a big difference than first Plexus coil I was told, I'll see. I'm using a 0.8 at the moment.

Thanks stols001,(Anna)

I use the 0.5 ohm plexus (no idea on next generation, just 0.5 ohm) on the Zenith and find it a very nice flavorful mtl type vape I use where I don't want to create much cloud. It's much looser than the higher ohm coils for the Zenith, but true dl it's not.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I just pulled one drip tip off mine. The hole from the tank to the driptip is pretty small, I don't think you could even FIT a wide bore in there. The plastic and metal tips are similar, except the metal one is a bit swooshy.

If you wish to potentially destroy your tank you could like, widen that hole and put a wide bore tip. This still does not solve the airflow problem.

My favorite coils in that tank are the 1.8 In my humble opinion, even airflow wide open, something about those monster coils or SOMETHING makes it impossible to get enough airflow for the wattage needed for a lower ohm tank. To be fair, I have not tried the plexus coils. I did just like, order a "sub0hm" zenith and I have no clue if the design is different but it didn't seem different and came with a 0.5 and a 1.8 coil. It was on sale and I was like, "Well, even if I hate the coil, I will have me another zenith" type deal.

If you like your zenith at all. just keep it for MTL times. I really think you should get something much more sub0hm to play with.

Anna

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    It will make a difference. But likely very little, and probably even imperceptible. Many assume that the smallest hole in the entire pathway through a tank dictates the amount of flow you'll get, but this isn't true. The entire pathway contributes to determining the flow - from the intake, to the port below the coil, to the overall volume of the tank, and the tip itself.

If you want to do an experiment to prove it to yourself without reading data from engineers, try this: Take a sizeable length of poly tubing, like you'd use for an icemaker installation. Try a DL through a whole roll of 12 feet of it, and feel how restricted it is. Then cut a 1/2" length piece of it, and take another draw....huge difference, yet it's 1/4" all the way through.

But to your question: you probably won't notice the difference in a wider tip in the Zenith. Zenith wide open is pretty airy for MTL, but it won't turn it into a cloud machine. Still probably worth a try, though - tips are cheap, and you might like a new one better regardless.

Oh, and I'll keep preaching this: One day, tank manufacturers will give us pressure ratings for tanks at their various settings, instead of us having to do the mental exercise of comparing port sizes, AF intakes, and asking "is that tank tighter than a ________ tank?"

Thanks Brewdawg1181, I might give a few different ones a try on the Zenith. I am still looking at giving a sub-ohm tank a try as well

Daniel

charlie1465

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2014
    Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
    I prefer DTL charlie1465

Ok...Stick with the tesla box if you like the design. If you want to change go for the vaporesso Polar with the cascade tank. The good thing about this drop in coil tank is its perfect for DTL vapers...nice and airy and the coil options are huge. If you like it really airy you'll love the single mesh coil .18ohm.

See how you get on with that and then you can pick up an RDA later. I'm around if you need further recommendations. :) Good luck.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Is it bigger on the inside? I don’t remember well. Iirc there was a plastic one and a metal one. The plastic one had the wider bore. Or something. I may have it backwards. Trying to get DL or probably even RDL out of a zenith with just a drip tip change is likely a lost cause though. A coil change might (maybe) get you RDL if they have a coil that will do it and fit. You want to blow gigantic clouds the size of a sheep though a whole different rig will be required.
    Mine are both plastic.
    I haven't pulled the spare out of the packet yet, I think it is a little bit more wider though.
    I'm going to give my 0.5 ohm coil a try soon and see if we get much of a difference than the 0.8

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I just gave mine away (literally shipped it today), so I can't check. And won't swear it- but I think they're both the same bore. Both that came with mine were black plastic, but one was straight, like you'll see it pictured all over websites - the other is shaped like a Nautilus 2. I'm pretty sure you won't feel a difference between the 2 that came with it. Try what Vapdivr said, and vape without a tip. If you get a big enough difference, they you might want to pursue a different tip.
    Odd. The one I got had a metal one and a plastic one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread