Dripping - what atty to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milazinha

Moved On
Sep 19, 2013
Seattle, USA
I've never tried dripping before, but very curious to try!

So what atty do I buy??? (I don't mind paying a bit more to get quality). And can I use the standard drip tip that came with my clearos, or do I need to buy a special type?

(If this matters, I use a Vision Spinner, and will soon buy a Innokin itaste MVP 2.0.)

Thanks in advance! :)

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
IGO T

Nice little dual coil model. It is well built, looks nice. I got mine for $25.

It has the slotted post capture for the wires, which I find to be the easiest method.

IMAG0786_1_zps2fcd56b4.jpg

igo-t.jpg

It also fits snugly, unlike the previous version PB reviewed. It delivers the vape with either the single or double coils, by the way, so if you want to fashion a single coil to just get it firing, go right ahead. Love this RDA.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I assumed you meant a rebuildable. Now I see you are a bit new. Maybe something simpler to start would suit you better. I started with a humble 510 dripping atty, with 510 to 510 adapter and drip shield. It has a simple cylinder drip tip, too.

IMAG0775_1_1_zps14a4b679.jpg

Here are similar components in their un-assembled state, left to right they are:

Adapter, atomizer, drip shield, drip tip.

images

Last edited:

milazinha

Moved On
Sep 19, 2013
Seattle, USA
Thank you EddardinWinte! Yes, I am new indeed. Love the photos! :)

The first one looks really great. Is that the kind that I have to mess around with wire? (And if so, is that easy enough to learn?)

About the 2nd one:
- any particular brand works best?
- what is the drip shield for? (Just aesthetics, or performance?)
- would a standard carto's drip tip work with this? If not, do I search for "dripping atty's drip tip"?

Thanks! :)

mila

Shopan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Thebestcityintheworld,USA
To drop in and add what I can...The First is an IGo(?) and it is tricky but a skill I think all can learn and be proficient at..the second is a bit easier and and all can be Gotten from EmpireMods As that is their Drip shield( and really the only place that should sell them, He invented the design)and, what they Do is keep the juice from getting all over(this piece will save a LOT of juice)...And for the 510 your drip tips will fit...on a 306 it will not...
I recommend the Exact set up as Eddard ;) and try a 306(it vapes a lil different). Dripping is Great! and a phoenix is a great starter RBA...
CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Thank you EddardinWinte! Yes, I am new indeed. Love the photos! :)

The first one looks really great. Is that the kind that I have to mess around with wire? (And if so, is that easy enough to learn?)

About the 2nd one:
- any particular brand works best?
- what is the drip shield for? (Just aesthetics, or performance?)
- would a standard carto's drip tip work with this? If not, do I search for "dripping atty's drip tip"?

Thanks! :)

mila

Start with the pre-built dripping. The top one is one where you need to mess with the wire. When you are ready to do re-building, I would recommend an RSST for your first rebuildable atomizer, which is not a dripping atty. That is the easiest RBA I have found to work on and a great intro into RBAs. You can find them for about $30 bucks, and I recommend getting 400 mesh and 30 gauge wire to learn how to build coils. You also need a multimeter so you can check your coils prior to firing them. There are many threads on ECF detailing this, but it is not for the novice! Do your own research and get ready before you jump in. Once you are building coils in the RSST (or whatever one you choose), then look into the IGO T.

Shopan's link is a good place to shop for your 510 dripping atty. Those are simple devices you just screw in, slide the shield over, and put the tip on. With those type drip attys, I use 4 drops or so, and they give me about 7 or 8 puffs.

milazinha

Moved On
Sep 19, 2013
Seattle, USA

CaddyWhompus

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
Newington, CT, USA
If your looking for a good non-rebuildable dripping atty then get a dripping atomizer from empiremods. They make a great low-res dripper and it's only $6. I think it performs really well (no need to spend $25 on a cisco atty). If you grab a 510-510 adapter and a drip shield then you've got a really nice dripping setup.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
This was my first dripper Smoktech RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - Silver (well, I got mine from a different vendor at a vape meet).

It comes ready to go. If you decide you like it and it wears out or want to improve it, it is rebuildable or you can just get the replacement wicks made for it. Really simple and no tools needed to replace the wicks if you just go with the replacement wicks. That was enough for me to decide I liked dripping enough to get something better.

Shopan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Thebestcityintheworld,USA
So... adapter or no adapter? And if so, which one?
I thought the same thing...Why Do I NEED an adaptor...and I found it is a nice thing to stack Protection and dripping is MESSY!! so keeping a bit of juice out of your raw connection is Not bad...one thing that should be mentioned just for Safties sake is Do Not put an RBA on an Ego type battery...if it does not have a chip a short will Fry that Battery...a 510 or 306 Fine But not an RBA...Also the pins can be bit finicky with some tanks/attys and an adapter in your bag of tricks does not hurt...
http://www.CASAA.org

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Those drip shields don't fit a 306 atomizer.

You don't use an adapter with an eGo drip shield (the eGo fitting on the battery takes it's place)
    However you can use a regular 510 atomizer, and 901/510 drip shield with a 510/510 adapter on an eGo (it just looks unfinished)

So you know the history; the shield was originally designed for the 901 atomizer (it has an air hole in the side, and leaked like all get out). The 510 atomizer is 5mm shorter than the 901. So there needs to be something to place the bottom o-ring in the proper location so that the shield will work. The eGo fitting on your battery does that, but on PV's with just a 510 connection you need the adapter to add the additional length.

Thanks a lot everyone!!! Really appreciate everyone's input. I just placed an order for the simple 510 setup from empiremods (atty, shield, adapter). Can't wait to receive it and try it out!!!

The rebuildable stuff looks a little scary... Not the assembling part -there are some pretty good videos on YouTube that show you how... - but I should probably read more about safety issues and whatnot, before trying one. You are supposed to measure the voltage, which means something bad would probably happen if the voltage is too low or too high. :blink:

Cheers, :D
    Mila

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I assumed you meant a rebuildable. Now I see you are a bit new. Maybe something simpler to start would suit you better. I started with a humble 510 dripping atty, with 510 to 510 adapter and drip shield. It has a simple cylinder drip tip, too.

IMAG0775_1_1_zps14a4b679.jpg

Here are similar components in their un-assembled state, left to right they are:

Adapter, atomizer, drip shield, drip tip.

images

I agree with starting out with a dripping atty for the novices. This lets them see if they like that vape without the build variable and are willing to drip rather than simple fill a tank and vape for an extended time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread