Dropping nicotine strengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumpee1

Oct 15, 2010
canada
I am a constant vaper that started with 18 mg nicotine and after a couple failed attempts stuck with vaping. Its been a few years now and went down to 15mg to 6 mg and then 0 nicotine.
In the past couple months I have not been able sleep. I will fall asleep np but wake up in an hour/hour and half not rested but not able to sleep again and affects everything. I have been given sleeping pills and such but is the same but I just feel stupid and awake. I just realized this has been around the same time as I switched to no nicotine.
I was fine with the 6mg nicotine do you think this could be do the drop from 6mg to 0, could this be withdrawals? if so what do you recommend? Hell I would be fine staying with 6 mg forever if this might be it.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
#1 Trial Test Run: If you have nic on hand, try it. I’d probably start this test long enough before bed that you can finish a tank or at least a couple mls. If that doesn’t work, and you’re not concerned with getting hooked back on the nicotine, try it for half - a full day. If this still doesn’t work, I’d say it’s most likely not the nicotine.
#2 Sleep: You’ve gotta sleep! Best way to do this is by not worrying about it. Let it happen naturally. I wouldn’t recommend lying in bed trying to sleep for more than an hour. (Less for me.) Get up. Do anything but think about needing to sleep. Take on the mind set that it’ll happen when it happens. Of course, do the obvious like no caffeine, eating, exercising or working out after whatever time works for you in the evenings. If you drink alcohol, perhaps a half to a glass of wine to relax a bit. (Or whatever you like.) Reading helps me sometimes. Trying to watch a movie when I’m tired almost always does the trick, even though drs will say not to fall asleep this way. Whats important is that you do sleep. Not worrying about sleep is easier said than done, I get that. Especially when you’re on a tight schedule. However, it doesn’t sound like your getting sleep now. Until your body etc works this thing out, I’d recommend power naps as needed but not after a certain time of day. Hope you figure this out! Best of luck!

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I sleep better on nicotine.
Some people say it keeps them awake. It's not odd for me to have things work the opposite. I couldn't sleep in the hospital after I had 2 levels in my neck fused. After I got home I figured out it was the Norco, it gives me coffee like jitters and I cannot sleep (although too much coffee puts me to sleep).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd think it would be possible for a rather large jump to 0 from 6 could be causing sleep problems. Since it sounds like the insomnia has kept up long enough for some time to pass, I might suggest going up to 3 and see if it helps things. I guess your other option would be to vape 0 nic during the day, and 3 or 6 a few hours before bed. That suggestion DOES put you sort of in a state where you may experience mild w/d during the day and sort of "hoping" for bed time to come.

I would not be shocked if lowering nic pretty drastically could cause insomnia. I get insomnia pretty easily any time I stop something of the sort that another person might deal with fine, but my brain's like ae delicate, nervous deer in the headlights when it comes to homeostasis. If I'm going to quit something like nicotine (it's not in my plans, BTW) well, yeah, I'm going to suffer, including sleep.

Unless you have a heart or vascular condition or there is some reason that your medical provider has for you to stop nicotine altogether, I'd probably say try lowering it more gently, you can try to get to 0 a bit down the line, or may find yourself very happy at 3 m.g. after your "nicotine tolerance break." So to speak.

If the insomnia is intractable, even with sleep meds, well, you have nothing to lose by trying to add nicotine back in, and (overall as a generality) it does seem like going slow with the nicotine reductions, especially near the end works out better for many persons. Not all, but many.

I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Anna

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
In contrast to a lot of other posters, I'd be a bit surprised if dropping nicotine is still causing sleep problems several months on. Still, I wouldn't call it impossible. Since nic seems to have minimal risks and insomnia is hell, I'd probably give it a go if I were you. 6 mg/ml might be too much to start back with since your body's adjusted to 0. I'd probably try 1.5 mg/ml if possible, or 3 if you're really determined.

Definitely keep your doctor updated on your experiments. Reactions can mean things you don't expect. For example, since nicotine is a stimulant it's possible it could keep someone from sleeping too deeply. If the person had mild sleep apnea, sleeping more deeply without nicotine could make it worse, causing symptoms to be apparent for the first time. The human body is a peculiar thing, so you really need an expert on your side.

You have my sympathies with the sleeping pill issue (well, and the whole not sleeping bit as well). I have the same reaction. I'm tired, my brain is fuzzy, but I can't sleep. So I take a sleeping pill. Wonderful, now I'm even more tired than ever and still not asleep!

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I have to agree with @Hawise with the fact that this long after going without nicotine, it may not be the issue. My first instinct is that there’s possibly an underlying issue the nicotine might’ve helped. Before anyone asks... While I’m not a doctor I have had a bit of medical training. A doctor should pick up on this right away.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
My lack of sleep was definitely cervical arthritis, but my sleep is helped with nicotine. Not being in pain so bad after 4hrs of laying down that I had to get up for a couple of hours helped way more than nicotine.

I wouldn't count on Dr's admitting nicotine is good for anything even if they know it. My PCP didn't know the connection, it should be so well known it's used to lead to diagnosis. My GI nurse knew the connection and my results adding nicotine and she still harassed me about ecigs for years. Neuro wanted me off nicotine for 3 months after fusion, the studies I found about bone healing vs nicotine say overdosing rats on nicotine and smoking is bad but normal doses in animals and humans sans smoke seems to make bones harder.

I'm not a Dr but I spend a lot of time there.:)

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
Ah i've been through this also :) i started at 24mg and dropped to 0mg in less then 8 months,i didn't feel the need or desire for nicotine so weened myself off it and stayed off for over a year,
A few months after hitting the o mark it began,i would lay in bed wide awake for 2 hours before sleep found me ,but then i would be wide awake at 5:30am every dam morning without fail,this went on for many months ,at the time i was staying at my stepmoms [helping after dad passed ] she couldn't understand me getting up so dam early every day
then it hit me "sleep " it was her day off and my body discovered sleep,i slept till 9:50 am
this really freaked her out too,she was terrified i had died in my sleep and decided at 10am she was calling the cops because no way was she going up there to find me dead bah ha ha ha ha
your body needs time to adjust to not having the nic stimulant
now i vape 3mg,strictly for the contrast to make the juice taste better

Last edited:

stumpee1

Oct 15, 2010
canada
Thank you for all the good advice everyone. I apologize for the late reply, I must not have had it set to go to email, sorry. this is all a big help because I have doubts about it being the nicotine because of it being well over a month. I have no problem with the nicotine either staying on 6 is fine with me. A couple people mentioned sleep apnea and I do have severe sleep apnea and use machine. I do have dr appointment in a couple weeks. it just hit me the other day that the drop in nicotine could be the problem???
I guess was hoping to hear to go back to to nicotine and all will be fine lol (which actually is what I am going try)
I am really sorry I didn't get the posts as emails and that I didn't reply to each and every these have been very helpful and there is lots of good insight here and am glad I posted my issue :):):)

FlTemples

Unregistered Supplier
May 30, 2018
I am a constant vaper that started with 18 mg nicotine and after a couple failed attempts stuck with vaping. Its been a few years now and went down to 15mg to 6 mg and then 0 nicotine.
In the past couple months I have not been able sleep. I will fall asleep np but wake up in an hour/hour and half not rested but not able to sleep again and affects everything. I have been given sleeping pills and such but is the same but I just feel stupid and awake. I just realized this has been around the same time as I switched to no nicotine.
I was fine with the 6mg nicotine do you think this could be do the drop from 6mg to 0, could this be withdrawals? if so what do you recommend? Hell I would be fine staying with 6 mg forever if this might be it.
I think everything's depends on what you do this for. Create an aim and I guess this will help you to give up vaping nicotine liquids.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread