Drops per ML

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantemsley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Ontario
And this is the reason I wish people would stop giving things like eliquid recipies in drops. The drops can change depending on your equipment (my tiny 1ml pipettes make a much smaller drop than an eye dropper, for example). It can also change depending on what you are using (PG, VG or flavoring) and even a bit by temperature.

SmokingRT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
YIPEE!!! Home at last
Technically 13 GTT (drops) in a standard medical liquid-dropper is 0.5ml meaning 26 GTTS would be 1ml. With that being said a medical drop would then be a 1/26 ml. If you are trying to be technical you would have to measure the amount of drops into a 1 ml container then you could use that as your determination for that juice /from that vendor /in that dropper /that time. The measure would have to be done again each time ,after that juice was gone, to be sure of proper caliibration. Ok enough with that rant (I have just seen this question alot with alot of misleading and/or wrong answers. After vaping for a very short time I can tell you they vary between suppliers and juices. That is why I like when they us ml (cc's) in recipies. It is an absolute.

jerrydon10

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Technically 13 GTT (drops) in a standard medical liquid-dropper is 0.5ml meaning 26 GTTS would be 1ml. With that being said a medical drop would then be a 1/26 ml. If you are trying to be technical you would have to measure the amount of drops into a 1 ml container then you could use that as your determination for that juice /from that vendor /in that dropper /that time. The measure would have to be done again each time ,after that juice was gone, to be sure of proper caliibration. Ok enough with that rant (I have just seen this question alot with alot of misleading and/or wrong answers. After vaping for a very short time I can tell you they vary between suppliers and juices. That is why I like when they us ml (cc's) in recipies. It is an absolute.

Yeah, that's true. Drops will only get you close. Of course, most of us use graduated cylinders or pipettes marked in mls when we can. However, in this business (and the DYI hobby) we have to deal with drops occasionally. For example, flavorings are often such a small part of a mix it's not practical to measure in mls.

That's why I appreciate Juice Mixing Programs, such as this one, giving you the results in drops as well as mls. Note that Tod places a disclaimer at the bottom of the calculator: "*Drops are an estimation. 20 drops of water from a dropper equals approximately 1ml."

In the case of flavorings such as menthol, it's not very likely that the vaper is going to notice the difference between .99 ml, 1 ml or 1.1 ml. In these cases, 20 drops will get you there. so it is good to know this info if you are a DIYer.

SmokingRT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
YIPEE!!! Home at last
Yeah, that's true. Drops will only get you close. Of course, most of us use graduated cylinders or pipettes marked in mls when we can. However, in this business (and the DYI hobby) we have to deal with drops occasionally. For example, flavorings are often such a small part of a mix it's not practical to measure in mls.

That's why I appreciate Juice Mixing Programs, such as this one, giving you the results in drops as well as mls. Note that Tod places a disclaimer at the bottom of the calculator: "*Drops are an estimation. 20 drops of water from a dropper equals approximately 1ml."

In the case of flavorings such as menthol, it's not very likely that the vaper is going to notice the difference between .99 ml, 1 ml or 1.1 ml. In these cases, 20 drops will get you there. so it is good to know this info if you are a DIYer.

Thanks for the info Jerry
I am still new to this so I have not quite yet started the DIY thing, although when I do I know where to go to start to lear. (fabulous ECF) I guess my comment was based on different threads around answering the same or very similar question but with many different answers. I ama healthcare worker and therefore like solid consistent answers. Which you sir have given me and hope fully others as well. I will use this thread to lead people to in the future with the same question. Thank you.

Does anyone know how many drops of liquid equals one ml? My 510 cartomizer holds 1 ml, and I don't want to overfill!
thanks!!!!

I just bought a children's medicine syringe (no needle), nice bold measure marks on the side. I usually use it to measure PG/VG mixes and water. Then I'll add flavor drop by drop. I'll put all into a drip bottle. To fill a cartridge or drip on the atty I use an 18 gauge needle. Just insert the needle in the bottle and suck in 1ml of juice. Insulin needles are hard to fill if you use a high concentration of VG due to the syruplike nature of the liquid.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
All my bottles give 40 drops to a ml with the liquids I have tested. This supprised me as most folks use 20 as a rule of thumb. Thats all folks

Yep... Those most folks are the very same ones who also drip three of those huge drops into their atties and then take for granted the fact atties will leak...
Anyway, the average drop in the lab protocol is unnoficially equal to 0,025 ml. This is true for most sprays and drippers in the pharma industry as a tradition. Then, YOU ARE RIGHT. Not most other folks...

Last edited:

Zal42

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Oregon
Yeah, that's true. Drops will only get you close.

Sometimes not so close. VG-heavy liquids have substantially larger drops than PG-heavy ones in the same equipment.

Drops are convenient, though! What I do is actually measure the number of drops per ml for each fluid I use and write it on the label. Still not exact, but gets you reasonably close.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
Yep... Those most folks are the very same ones who also drip three of those huge drops into their atties and then take for granted the fact atties will leak...
Anyway, the average drop in the lab protocol is unnoficially equal to 0,025 ml. This is true for most sprays and drippers in the pharma industry as a tradition. Then, YOU ARE RIGHT. Not most other folks...

Everyone is right; whether its PG or VG-based, or any other circumstance (bottle neck; etc) will deliver larger drops. Though as a General Rule, the ratio 40 drops to ml. works ok, as an average.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Yes that's hard to say. Depends on the liquids consistency and temperature. Drop into a graduated cylinder and count the drops. One Stop DIY shop has them: Graduated Cylinders - One Stop DIY Shop Store

Okay, I measure some liquids in a Graduated Cylinder at 75 degrees with the same standard eye dropper:
1ml =
PG: 30 drops
VG: 22 drops
Cotton Candy (Ethyl Malto) = 22 drops
100mg Nicotine / 100VG based = 25 drops

This info should making your mixing fun.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
Bear in mind that there is a phenomena by which the drop as you see it when you are about to drip may be larger or shorter than the actual drop being delivered... So this means that sometimes one drop will equal the amount of two, maybe three drops, depending on the bottle/ dripper/ pressing, and other circumstances. This derives from the fact sometimes part of the drop as 'shown' or exposed gets re-absorved and stays in the dripper neck. Some other times it is more than the drop we see that makes it onto the target, the other way round. This has to do with how thick/thin the liquid is also, but the bottle plays a mayor role in this. So, we should take this into account if we are willing to be that specific...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread