Drying cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonnie Lepp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Texas, USA, Earth
I use the plunger from MFS in conjunction with a $30.00 Ultra Sonic Cleaner from Harbor Freight and a coffee cup warmer.

1 Use steaming but not boiling water in the Ultra Sonic Cleaner.
2 Run the 3 minute auto cycle about 2 or 3 times.
3 Remove the parts tray from the machine and dump the water, I use a a 40# plastic cat liter container, top seals well.
4 put more steaming water in with your parts and run the machine 2 more times.
5 Repeat step 3
6 Use the plunger to draw a significant amount of 195 proof vodka or grain alcohol, NOT rubbing alcohol, through the carto you are cleaning, about 2 or 3 times. I use a mason jar with a screw on lid for the alcohol. I reuse my alcohol.
7 Shake out the excess alcohol into a trash can or use a "Can O Air" that computer users keep their key boards clean.
8 put the carto thread side down on the Coffee warmer.
9 Turn coffee warmer on.
10 Turn off coffee warmer after about 20 or 30 minutes.
11 in about 10 to 20 minutes the carts should be cool to the touch.
12 Draw air through the mouthpiece end, if no alcohol taste, you are done.

I clean my DCT tanks, Type B eGo Tanks, disassembled, carts, and atty's that way.
I even cleaned my toothbrush, glasses and some jewelry, just the hot water.

The alcohol takes the water out of the cart
The 42,000 vibrations per second cleaner loosen the gunk and any old juice.
I use two tanks of water because the first tank is dirty water when you finish.
The second acts as a rinse and gets whatever is left loose.

I have heard of that some use vinegar because it is a good cleaning agent, I have never done that.

Good luck.

Lonnie Lepp

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Put your oven on the lowest setting and place the cartos in there on a cookie sheet. Turn the oven off after an hour and leave the cartos in there until the oven cools completely down or overnight.
You need to make sure that they dry quickly because I have left them too damp and had them mold on me before.

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
Oh my, this is pretty overwhelming!!! I just filled the sink with warm water and used the plunger kit and syringed the water through each carto 3 times. Is this not enough? Since then I have just had them sitting on a paper towel, mouthside down (because they wouldnt stay standing up the other way and I was getting frustrated). Should I just toss them? :(

melloyello

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
usa
do all those steps mentioned above and refill your cartos only to be used 2 or 3 more refills, then toss.

you will not get a carto to be like new even after cleaning. seems like lots of time spent (and money) to try clean cartos. i rememer trying it once and i couldnt justify the time and money for cleaning. im curious: do you guys try clean them at first, only to find out later its not worth it and then toss them and buy new ones instead? or do you actually keep trying to clean them still after a year or so of vaping?

Lonnie Lepp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Texas, USA, Earth
I clean mine so that the flavors don't mix. I use about 2 or 3 flavors. My wife uses 2 or 3 flavors. We only share one flavor. We have the same set ups, eGo batts with DCT Tanks and 1.5 single hole carts. We also use the eGo tank type "B"'s and I like to clean them to keep the flavors separated.

twohandedcreations

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
orlando florida
lay them on a table, walk away..... a day or two later refill, and use:)

as for reusing cartos, if you've ever taken a used one apart, you'll see that the wicking material that the coil is wrapped around is burned... so I really only suggest cleaning a carto when it's fairly new. If its more then a day or two old the filler material that the coil is wrapped in/around will be charred and will never be like new again...!

Last edited:

FriedLiverAtack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
California, USA
I think the spin method is the only way to go. I tape the carto to the end of a piece of speaker wire (using masking tape) that is about 3 ft long and spin it (quickly) around for about a minute. After which the carto can be used immediately.

I only do this if I want to change flavors. I have never had good results from trying to revive a carto once it isn't producing the right flavor or misbehaving in some other way. For less than $1.50 apiece it just isn't worth fiddling around with them very much.

joek6992

Jun 19, 2012
Justice, Illinois
I boil them for about 5 mins. let them cool. I picked up this baby medicine dispenser at Walmart for 3 bucks. It has a rubber adapter piece to fit a medicine bottle to the syringe for dosing but that adapter fits a carto just right. I flush clean water through each side a few times. Then spin the water out and let them sit mouth side down for a day. They fire right up. cart cleaner.jpg

Snus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2012
Massachusetts
This is my favorite video of how to clean and dry... Basically, he just lets them dry out in the sun for a few hours after using the syringe method. He super glued a carto condom onto a syringe. I can't wait to get a syringe to be able to try this one out. I've been saving my gunked up cartos. Tried boiling them without any success, also the turkey baster I used didn't quite fit right, either... This guy has some real money saving tips!

E-Cig Carto Cleaning - Fast, Cheap and Easy - YouTube

He has another video on how to make a tank from a 6 ml bottle... gonna try that one soon, too! Thanks to Kenny!

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
This is my favorite video of how to clean and dry... Basically, he just lets them dry out in the sun for a few hours after using the syringe method. He super glued a carto condom onto a syringe. I can't wait to get a syringe to be able to try this one out. I've been saving my gunked up cartos. Tried boiling them without any success, also the turkey baster I used didn't quite fit right, either... This guy has some real money saving tips!

E-Cig Carto Cleaning - Fast, Cheap and Easy - YouTube

He has another video on how to make a tank from a 6 ml bottle... gonna try that one soon, too! Thanks to Kenny!

Awesome video, thanks Snus!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread