DSE901 mini compared with Janty Kissbox Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokingInTexas

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2008
Texas, USA
OK, I'll chime in with a limited perspective.

I have a single 901 (mini). It works ok and provides ok vapor. The same juice I use in my pen style cigs tastes different in the 901 (not sure why). I do NOT use the 901 as my main. For that I use the pen styles. But the only reason for this is when i started collecting hardware (for backups etc) I ordered the pen stuff. I still use the 901 occasionally, but I feel I get better vapor from the pen, although, I think it could just be a mental perception.

I'd love to see how the 901 would perform with a manual switch. ;)

I can't really speak to the durability or value.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
No question the KB Classic produces more vapor. It's not even close.

Durability is more of a toss-up. I haven't had many issues with KB since the early bugs, but I did need new batteries and a new atomizer once.

Meanwhile in about the same time, I've been through a few 901 atomizers (although a couple of those were the JCSJ victims), and most of my 901 batteries are on their last legs now.

So I'd say they're about even.

Value? Do you value small size more or high performance? Or do you just mean money-wise?

Best value for money is the KB, IMO, due to the warranty. You'll spend More on batts and atts for the 901 than on a KB over 6 months time.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I didn't mean value as in comparing battery charge and cartridge life, I meant what you answered, value for money.

I don't think it would be fair to compare the length of time a cartridge or battery charge last because of the different sizes. The Kissbox is obviously going to run longer but the 901 suits those looking for a smaller device so it's a bit of a compromise with that as far as I can see.

Rorschach

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
New York, NY
Which do you use the most?
I use my Janty more often but I usually use both when I'm out for a smoke. Say 5 drags on Janty and 3 drags on 901. I think it's the switch. love love love the switch and like SmokinginTexas I would LOVE to have a manual switch on my 901

Which gives best vapour?
You know, my DSE 901 gives much more vapor than my Janty Kissbox Classic. Strange huh? However, the Janty Kissbox gives a larger throat hit.

Which is most durable?
I think the DSE 901 is more durable. This is partly because of the number of parts. When you have four parts (battery, switch, atomizer, cartridge) you've got more things to break. In terms of holding up to impact...I don't want to test it. The Manual Switch on the Kissbox becomes sticky (not tangibly but more like it may become stuck every now and then). I'm really not sure why this happens and I've talked to Kate about it before; isn't the switch the simplest part, one of the very first components in the history of electric devices?

Which is best value for money?
It really is a tossup. I love both my devices because of the service I get. It's true that Janty is expensive, but they will replace anything that breaks. If you have a good supplier for the 901b, you get the same level of commitment and dedication.

Lochstar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2008
MN, USA
I'm pretty new at this compared to a lot of folks who would answer this question, but perhaps that gives me mystical noob insight :-o . In either case I own both and find the experience very different between the two.

Which do you use the most?

Probably the Kissbox, since it has the USB plugin. No batteries, love the manual switch, I don't have to worry about swapping out while home, just can smoke while working, etc. However, I keep the 901 and 901 mini in my "travel kit" for work and to use for experimenting with flavors (cheaper atomizers if I gum 'em up... yeah I know Bickford's isn't supposed to but I'm paranoid that way lol).

Which gives best vapour?

Here's where the big difference is... the Kissbox gives tons more vapor, lots and lots of it, but of a completely different quality. The vapor from the Kissbox is "lighter", it feels lighter on the tongue and throat. It also doesn't seem to retain the kick or flavor of the 901, possibly because it atomizes to a higher degree (which would explain why the vapor feels so much lighter). That's another reason I use my 901 for monkeying with flavors, to retain more of it with the heavier vape and get the throat hit I sometimes crave. Which vapor do I enjoy more? Hard to say... more, smoother vapor or less, rougher vapor... they both have their place.

Which is most durable?

So far the Kissbox has been finicky. It's higher quality in design, but seems to need more attention. Sticky manual switches, fussy automatic switches, and such... I haven't had an atomizer go out on my 901 or mini, it seems built like a tank, and comes across as a lot more resistant to my inattention regarding maintenance. I'd have to go with the 901... it's the old beater car you drive hard and throw an oil change into once in a while while the Kissbox is the Porsche that needs regular tuning to maintain that performance.

Which is best value for money?

It depends on the experience. Just getting started, go with the 901 in my opinion. You get almost the same experience for half or less of the price and can work into esmoking. The Kissbox is a better value if you're looking for that top-shelf experience.

If the 901 had a USB version (if it does, omg tellmetellmetellme) I'd say definately the 901 in bang-for-the-buck. However the ability to plug in and not worry about spare batteries while one charges is a huuuuge plus in my book.

smoking gnu

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2008
Wales
Well I’m a covert to the 901. I have a diva and a janty kissbox classic, both excellent. I have only had my 901 for two days but I have used nothing else but my 901. I really like the little chap, lots of vapour! On the down side it cant take so much liquid and the battery life is shorter . But this is defiantly my # 1 cig. And I’ve got some lovely back ups . Maybe trog has a point.:thumb:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I've had a 901 mini for about a week now and a Kissbox classic for a few months.

For me the Kissbox atomiser gives more vapour and better taste, the mini is bland whatever juice I use. I can use cartridges in the mini though, they never work for me in anything else I've tried. They need refilling as frequently as when I'm dripping the Kissbox so neither is more convenient in that way.

The manual switch makes the draw on the Kissbox much easier, I'm not too keen on the draw on the mini, it's a bit hard. I don't know how long the mini batteries last because I keep changing them but the USB battery on the Kissbox beats them and batteries for that are cheaper.

One thing I really don't like about the mini is the mouthpiece, it's chunky and not very streamlined, the classic mouthpiece feels much more comfortable.

I can't compare durability because I've only just got the mini. I've had about six to eight weeks from a Kissbox atomiser so far but switches have been dying on me quickly. Batteries haven't been a problem, mostly I use the USB battery.

My maths shows the Kissbox to be better value for money because of the guarantee. I think the mini would be a good device to start with but for long term use, to me, the Kissbox is better.

EDIT
I've just been reminded by a post on another thread - it took me ages to get the hang of the Kissbox and I had to get a good dripping technique. It's not the easiest of things to get right so for newbies the mini is a far better introduction to esmoking.

Last edited:

Psyclown

Nov 10, 2008
GA, USA
I'm in a similar situation Kate, just opposite. I just received My KB Classic today, but have been smoking a 901 for a couple of weeks.

When it comes to vapor production, for me it so far depends on which switch I use on the KB. I haven't tried it with anything but the USB adapter so far because of the initial charge time. With the manual switch, it blows my 901 out of the water. I don't know what the deal is with my auto switch, but it seems much harder for me to get vapor with that than with the 901.

I've only tried the Mint flavor in the KB so far, and it doesn't have seem to have much of any throat hit, though that seems to be due to the smooth texture and certainly not a lack of vapor. I get a very strong throat kick with the 901 every time.

To keep this from getting any longer, I tend to agree with DrTuba in his assessment of the value for money. The 901 is a reliable workhorse but doesn't have the same "upscale vibe" of the KB. Both are great ecigs IMO, though I would say the 901 is better for a beginner.

P.S. As an aside, the little light on my KB auto switch doesn't stay lit unless I puff really hard. Is it supposed to flash on and off or should I get a replacement?

Being new to esmoking, starting with the 901, just got the KB, this is tough.

I like my 901, the feel, the size and vapor quality. I have to say, jumping on the wagon, it is a workhorse. Its something I can toss in my pocket and I don't mind if it wonders off. Ok, that's a lie, I would just care less so than with the KB.

That being said, the KB is so smooth and if I may say so, sexy. It adds a bit of class if you will to my computer time. :p The draw from the auto is fine for me, hubby still having issues tho. We all do it different.

This coin in still in the air for me.

eyespy

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2008
UK
Kate said:
One thing I really don't like about the mini is the mouthpiece, it's chunky and not very streamlined, the classic mouthpiece feels much more comfortable.

I agree it's more comfortable but also think it's more suited to long leisurely puffing than for taking strong drags like you would on an analogue - for that I find the 901 better.

I've got two types of e-smoking going at the moment - one that emulates my ex-analogue smoking at work and another altogether new habit of continually puffing away on something when at home.

At work I e-smoke outside with the other smokers - I drip a couple of drops of 36mg into the 901 and take long hard drags without a cartridge - I find that this gives me the best nic hit to keep me going till the next smoking break and also the 'good' vapour lasts about as long as one analogue - a reminder it's time to go back to work :rolleyes:

At home, first with a classic now with a bling copy I sip away continually on homemade no-nic juice - the classic style mouth piece is ideal for this. If I need a nic hit I load up the 901 with the 36mg for a quick blast then revert back to the no-nic.
I'm currently sipping away on Olbas Oil (not homemade - about £3 for 10ml in Boots) - it's probably not very good for me or my atomizer but it's got one heck of a menthol kick :p

Psyclown

Nov 10, 2008
GA, USA
The only variable left to test for me is my other 2 batts...but the USB switch, both atomizers, both KB Classic switches, one Classic batt and the Yentl auto batt were all in perfect working order right out of the box, no replacement necessary. I'm confident that my Yentl manual and spare Classic battery will be good too, but I'm currently undergoing round 2 of the Sacred Rite of Initial Charging. Mars hasn't intersected Venus yet, but when it does I'll let you know if I managed to get 2 fully operational kits or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread