Dual Coil 510 Tank Cartomizer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrage

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2010
Florida
Dude, many of people punch there own cartos ! in fact thousands do it who have and use tanks !

No kidding. In golf I grip my own clubs and cut/change my own shafts. It's not an "I can't" it's that I don't consider smoking a hobby and want plug-n-play. I'm not saying people that do treat it as a hobby are wrong, I'm saying I hope you can see that some people just want plug-n-play, and that's how I go about seeing the "value" or "price" of something, and there's nothing wrong with that either. I'm just not going to punch my own carts and use stuff that "kinda" fits or make trips to lowes that wind up with me in the garage so I can vape. It's why I like carts so much. Fill em up. When they break, throw em out.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
These use a regular size stainless carto (longer version or what was typically a mega carto but the word mega has been muddied up a bit). The flange is built onto the carto that come with the tank but is a feature that keeps the tank from slipping down like some of the other tanks do.

Smok has also included a small indent in the bottom of the tank that the flange sits into to keep the tank from spinning on the carto. All cool features but still works with the regular stainless long carto.

We do have replacement cartos coming in, most are dual coil but some different resistances. Single coil cartos will be next on the list..

hoog

AtomNeely

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
I have a question. I was thinking about ordering a roughstack, would the tank cartomizer work with it? Would I need to order an extension? Thanks

This is what I was wondering as well, I have the shorty extender that I got to try the XL DCs, so it may fit on it that way. I'm worried its going to be a PITA to get to the button on the top of my RS.

I just placed my order so hopefully I'll get it sometime early next week and can let you know. If it doesn't fit it'll go in storage till I get something it works on.

Vapian

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2011
Lexington, KY
These use a regular size stainless carto (longer version or what was typically a mega carto... ) ... All cool features but still works with the regular stainless long carto.

I received mine today. Impressions in a moment.

Regarding the quote, let's be clear: a "long" carto is not what most of us would likely call a "regular" carto. This tank will not work with the average, off the shelf, no-funny-business, superlative-free cartomizer.

What most of us would call a "regular" carto averages 35.5 mm long (not including the 510 thread); this tank's carto body is nearly 45 mm long. Another comparison: the newer Kanger horizontal-coil 510 XL's are 50.5 mm long and will work in these tanks with just a bit poking out the top.

About the only advantage the included Smok Tech carto seems to have is the flange at the bottom -- which, if the seal on the caps is any good (and it seems to be) is but a marginal advantage. And it is pre-punched with a very clean but VERY SMALL hole.

I vaped it most of the day today as-is and worked OK with 80/20 nicquid. However, I did have to take lots of "priming" draws to keep the carto wet. Small bubbles can be seen exiting the hole into the tank during use.

I haven't tried a Thicker Nicquid (which would, BTW, be a great name for a band) but I seriously doubt that nicquids much heavier in VG would vape well as-is. That hole in the included carto is seriously small. After a few hours I went ahead and punched a single, larger hole in the same location; performance immediately and dramatically improved.

Taste is average to above average for a cartomizer, vapor and hit good when the nicquid's flowing. My carto actually reads 1.1 ohms. While I prefer a higher load this didn't seem to cause any problems and worked well on a Darwin (dialed down to 7.6W / 3.6V / 3.2A) as well as stock eGo batteries.

The tank: Outside diameter is ever so slightly smaller than a J-Tank, but the Inside diameter is slightly larger -- meaning, the walls of this tube are relatively thin. This shouldn't be an issue unless you're hard on your tanks. The caps are similar to those of the J-Tank but not as dense a material and are chamfered. The bottom cap has a slight recess for the included carto's flange. Fully seated, the tank can still spin but cannot be pushed off the bottom of the carto, providing the biggest real advantage over a standard carto design (sans flange). The caps are not interchangeable with the J-Tank.

The included drip tip is a nice touch but a very tight fit. Once I had it out I had to basically hammer to get it back in. Maybe that will work out over time.

As-is, the tank and carto performs well, especially after enlarging the hole with a punch. If you like LR cartos you'll probably like this carto/tank combination.

Whether direct replacements for the included carto are worth it will depend mostly on their cost and whether you like the resistances and coil options that will be offered. If they are, say, $1.00 more than standard cartos I'd be hard pressed to pay the difference, given that I'd be punching larger holes in them anyway. But if they're about the same as other cartos and come in a higher-ohm (at least 2.0 or 2.5 ohm) single-coil versions I might spring for them. Otherwise future replacements will probably be the newer Kanger XL's.

Exhalesior!

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Thanks for answering the questions Hoogie, well there you have it, ( Six & Large ) a regular DC Carto will fit and work just fine all you gotta do is punch it like every other tank. For the Money I dont think you could go wrong with one of these Tanks from MadVapes nice Job MV's !

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
So until they get the flanged pre-punched carts in, if I decided I just loved the tank toooooo much and was willing to punch it, which cart would be the best fit?

510 Dual Coil Stainless Mega XL Cartomizer

TIA

No Large, that one is not right, that is a 10mm carto,,, you will need a 9mm Carto, the regular DC Carto that SmokTech manufactures and mad vapes sells, it is a 9mm not 10mm

This one Large = http://www.madvapes.com/MadVapes-510-Dual-Coil-Stainless-Cartomizer_p_3152.html or pretty much any 9mm Carto that is long enough for this tank

Last edited:

Jewls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2009
NC
These use a regular size stainless carto (longer version or what was typically a mega carto but the word mega has been muddied up a bit). The flange is built onto the carto that come with the tank but is a feature that keeps the tank from slipping down like some of the other tanks do.

Smok has also included a small indent in the bottom of the tank that the flange sits into to keep the tank from spinning on the carto. All cool features but still works with the regular stainless long carto.

We do have replacement cartos coming in, most are dual coil but some different resistances. Single coil cartos will be next on the list..

hoog

So glad to hear you are getting the cartos in because I am using it right now and love it.

lrage

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2010
Florida
Mine arrived. It's definitely nice looking and seems well built. The small punched hole bothers me some. It's very tiny and I'm worried about burning the carto out. I really quickly used a nail to make it slightly bigger, but compared to what people do in videos to punch a carto it's still very tiny. I wish I had made it bigger still but I'm not doing surgery on it to get all that juice out right now.

As far as how it hits I've been using dc's with the same resistance at 4.7v so it's about normal to me. If it can keep the carto wet for a few days without refilling for me it'll be my primary vape. Plus it just looks really cool. I can see how the flange would help to prevent leaks as it presses up pretty tightly on there. But I think the o-rings look sufficient enough to not have major leaking issues without it, but every bit of "not leak" prevention helps.

AtomNeely

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
My order shipped earlier today, so i'll post my findings once I get it in. I'll also try and get some pictures up of what it looks like on the RSv2 and my Maxi RSv2 for people who are using those mods or other top button mods. I'm getting very excited after reading all the good things about it. 12 bucks is a price I can really get behind for a tank.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
well there you have it, ( Six & Large ) a regular DC Carto will fit and work just fine all you gotta do is punch it like every other tank. !

Yup. That's good information to have. I'll probably add one or two to my next order now that I can be sure there isn't anything awfully proprietary. I've been throwing in with a couple of pals lately so we make bigger orders less often... but I'll watch the number in stock and make sure we get some before they're gone ;)

kickitback

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2009
NC
update. got it today and so far its great. a little loose fitting on the bottom end but not leaking at all. I thought the pre-punched carto was too small so I made it bigger, now its vaping great.
All in all, very solid tank. Not like the Lava but good enough.

Thanks MadVapes for another awesome device in a great price .

Jewls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2009
NC
Mine arrived. It's definitely nice looking and seems well built. The small punched hole bothers me some. It's very tiny and I'm worried about burning the carto out. I really quickly used a nail to make it slightly bigger, but compared to what people do in videos to punch a carto it's still very tiny. I wish I had made it bigger still but I'm not doing surgery on it to get all that juice out right now.

As far as how it hits I've been using dc's with the same resistance at 4.7v so it's about normal to me. If it can keep the carto wet for a few days without refilling for me it'll be my primary vape. Plus it just looks really cool. I can see how the flange would help to prevent leaks as it presses up pretty tightly on there. But I think the o-rings look sufficient enough to not have major leaking issues without it, but every bit of "not leak" prevention helps.

I was worried about the small hole too....but I didnt change it and I have vaped 6ml so far out of it without problems. I am impressed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread