Status
Not open for further replies.

Optimo114

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
Jacksonville FL
Greetings,

I got my first mech mod last weekend so I can start fiddling with dual coils a bit but I can't get my ohm reader to read properly. For some reason, it is only on dual coils. It always reads really high ohms. Anywhere from 5-7 ohms. I did 9 wraps of 28g on a 5/64 drill bit for each coil. The coils fire evenly and all that good stuff. I managed to get my provari to read it at 0.9 ohms which is where I wanted to be but the fact that the ohm reader isn't reading has me a little worried and paranoid..

Anyone have similar issues and know if it's the coils or the reader?

Thanks

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I don't own a provari, but if you press the firing button quick, it should display reading. That is how the one's I own that read like that work. It has to be a really fast press..like a millisecond longer and it will display low load.

I'm not a fan of the 510 meters..never owned one, don't plan on doing so, but I would assume that there is a loose lead within the unit. Do you have anything else to measure it with to confirm provari is correct with reading?

If you ever move to mechanicals, I suggest a meter that can be calibrated.

Optimo114

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
Jacksonville FL
I don't own a provari, but if you press the firing button quick, it should display reading. That is how the one's I own that read like that work. It has to be a really fast press..like a millisecond longer and it will display low load.

I'm not a fan of the 510 meters..never owned one, don't plan on doing so, but I would assume that there is a loose lead within the unit. Do you have anything else to measure it with to confirm provari is correct with reading?

If you ever move to mechanicals, I suggest a meter that can be calibrated.

Thanks for the info. I don't have anything else to check resistance. I don't plan on switching over to mechs. I bought a k101 from a local shop just to mess around a bit with RDAs. I just wanted something cheap that I can try some dual coil action to see if I like it and maybe to blow some big clouds every now and then. I have my provari and kayfun for my all day device and I am more than pleased with this setup.

Could you recommend a good device to check resistance? I'm pretty bummed that the one I got seems to be a piece of garbage...

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
2-in-1 Ohm & Voltage Meter

This is the ohm reader I bought. It is maybe 2 months old. I used the provari 2-3 times and it was consistent. I am surprised it actually read. Usually if it is under 1.2ohm it reads LO. Also the coils were on an IGO-W

That's strange... I'm currently running a 1 ohm dual-coil (AWG 28) @ 3.8v on the ProVari 2.5. I have gone as high as 4.0v with no errors on both of my 2.5's with a 1 ohm dual-coil. If your ohm meter reads correctly with other toppers, I would be looking into the RDA build it's self.

EDIT: I have the same ohm meter as you do from the same vendor, and it works fine. Any decent quality multimeter will work to check your resistance. I have a Craftsman that wasn't overly expensive when I purchased it years ago. It's the older version of this one:

http://www.kmart.com/craftsman-mult...pid=005W031937511512&kispla=005W031937511512P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread