Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
One and a half weeks into a Year- End Stay-cation. Christmas is over and done with. Rain, rain and more rain has left my yard like soup. Netflix is getting boring. Football is an occasional reprise. But now I am bored out of my skull. So maybe I'll get out my RM4 and my Cyclone and try a little dual coil action, out of pure boredom. Need a few refresher points;
1) the newer Woodvils - how low ohms are they rated for ? :?:
2) e-liquids - it seems sub-ohmers like max VG. But what flavor % ?
3) why do I ignore the 'Honey-Do' list so well ? (30 years of marriage, maybe ?) :confused:
4) AW IMR 3.7V 2200mAh should get me through half a day or so, right ?
5) in smaller decks, better to use 5/64" or 3/32" for mandrill ?
6) should I first check to see if Rob has gold battery springs in stock ? o_O
It may seem as though I am half- joking with this, but this is my first two week vacation in God-only-knows how long. Relaxing can only be entertaining for so long before this ol' Trucker gets cabin fever ;)

coilburner

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2015
1 Im don't know but you can always search google
2 I wasn't aware flavor % was a choice, I have never seen that option.
3 Not sure, that sounds personal
4 how many of them will you be using and at what power levels are you using?
5 some decks are easier to build on than others allow a larger coil.
6 I don't know what your talking about.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Hmm. I think there's folks running 0.3 all day. How low do you want to go?

People do seem to lighten up flavoring. I still like "thick" flavor, but have been VERY slowly using a little less when I mix, just to see - no noticeable difference yet. This is also how I lower nic...

3) why do I ignore the 'Honey-Do' list so well ? (30 years of marriage, maybe ?) :confused:
Practice makes perfect

Depends on #1, and how continuously you vape. I get more than half a day with a 3000 mah LG at 0.45 ohms.

Either one probably fine - whatever fits without shorting!

Just be careful! Maybe slap the atty on an ohm-meter WITH THE CAP ON, to check that you're not shorted, before vaping it.

Have fun
:D

Reactions: JC Okie

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
RM4 setup; twin 30g 5/64 nine wrap each testing 1.2ohm (0.6 total) with KGD cotton. Vaping 75% VG @ 10mg nicotine, 5% flavor (3% DK 555 tobacco, 2% Honey). Using smallest air ports. Coils firing simultaneously.
Tasty, lots of vapor. One good Primer hit followed by a lung hit fills the room and makes me want to sit down. Minimal to no leakage, which is an improvement over the RM5 I tried a year or so ago. A little much for my personal vaping habits, but I could see why some would enjoy this.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Just be careful! Maybe slap the atty on an ohm-meter WITH THE CAP ON, to check that you're not shorted, before vaping it,

No such device here, being a single coil person I've always used a Mutli-meter.

Or... maybe I could dust off my ProVari P3 for an ohms tester ?

Reactions: Bassnorma

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
"2) e-liquids - it seems sub-ohmers like max VG. But what flavor % ?"

Most of my builds are sub ohm, but rarely much below .4 ohm net - average is probably .5 to .7 net. I run 100% VG with the flavor concentrates I have now that are VG based; VG Heavy Plus for the rest made from PG based flavor concentrates. Can tune to whatever I want doing DIY. Premade e-liquids are not as versatile. While you can pick from a nic level list from most vendors, I have only seen a few that offers "shots" you can choose from up to a point to sort of tweak your joose. Shots are usually for flavor increases, but sometimes to add other enhancers as well.

:2c:
PG carries flavor better, VG not as well but makes thick clouds of vapor that can carry more flavor to make up for it some.

In use flavor percentage is entirely subjective IMO. Every joose has it's 'sweet spot'. What I call that spot and what you do can vary widely, it's personal taste. Percentage also depends on a long list of things, among them the flavor concentrate itself, the ratio of the base it's added to, what else has been added to the mix, the atty and it's build, etc. IOW a flavor's percentage that is added to a joose can be from next to none to a significant percentage of the volume of the mixed joose. I have DIY joose I made that might blow the top of your head off with the relatively small percentage of flavor concentrate in them; and others that have a much higher percentage of flavor concentrate yet are still tame vapes in comparison.

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
Papaw....I subohm 50/50 juices. I go for flavor and decent vapor. Cloud production for me is secondary to flavor experience and I get acceptable (careful not to trip the smoke alarm) clouds at 50/50…:vapor: somewhere around .5 dual @23 to 26 watts depending on wire gauge. It took some exploration to find my personal sweet spot that could keep me vaping.

Reactions: PapawBrett

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Good for down to .3 ohms, no problem. Regular maintenance check (pitting, gunking, cleaning) frequencies should increase the lower you go.

No rules here. Myself, I still like a 50/50 juice with 12% flavour, subohm or not. A lot of the 'max VG for use with subohming' is fashion (sick clouds, bro). For me, the point of a dual build is to get a lustier vape - everything I like about single coil tootle puffing, just with more ooomph.

I'm answering this instead of getting on mine right now :toast:

Figure on half to 2/3rds the usage you get now.

Whatever will fit. I've not personally seen any relationship between dual builds and diameter that is unique (ie, any config you use for single coils with respect to this shouldn't change for dual builds). Although dual setups will get you more vapor, each coil acts independently, just like a single setup.

A spare spring or two is never a bad idea, but I don't think going dual increases your short risk by any appreciable amount unless you are going for CLO (Crazy Low Ohms), where even slight variations in the resistance get you into the near short range. The additional amp draw on a lower ohm build is more likely to affect your firing pin first (greater propensity for arcing damage).

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Doing dual coil on just two posts (Cyclone) seems like a PITA....

EDIT : After a Supper Break (Mamaw's Christmas Leftovers :drool:) I tried again with the Cyclone / Cyclops. Two 30g, 7/8 twist on a 5/64 mandrill. Getting a 1.1 reading across the posts on my MultiMeter, so I am guessing when both fire it will be more like 0.55 ohms. 75% VG, 20% pg flavorings for a homemade concoction I liken to a York Peppermint Patty (shoulda wrote that recipe down....:blush:) . First hit - MINT ! More of a cloud maker than the RM4. Could just be my setup, but again, a little much for an old fart like me...

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Well, I gotta agree with you there...
I stick to single coils in a Cyclone.
Duals in a Nuppin.
(I did try a twisted single "over the top" in the Nuppin that was a fad for a while, but went back to simple duals for that.)

Doing dual coil on just two posts (Cyclone) seems like a PITA....

Reactions: Bassnorma

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
1) No rules here. Myself, I still like a 50/50 juice with 12% flavour, subohm or not. A lot of the 'max VG for use with subohming' is fashion (sick clouds, bro). For me, the point of a dual build is to get a lustier vape - everything I like about single coil tootle puffing, just with more ooomph.

So... after setting up both dual coils and experimenting a little, I've found that with a standard Reos Delran- sized drip tip I am getting a very similar vape to what I am used to, only a little more "oomph" in the flavor. Now I have cut the air flow back to near minimal on both mods, but the flavor is Better !

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
So... after setting up both dual coils and experimenting a little, I've found that with a standard Reos Delran- sized drip tip I am getting a very similar vape to what I am used to, only a little more "oomph" in the flavor. Now I have cut the air flow back to near minimal on both mods, but the flavor is Better !

Huzzah! Sounds like you're in the zone. Now, experiment a bit with the air - the duals will let you get a wider range of vape characteristics. Try swapping the dt, too. You'll find that going dual is not necessarily the paradigm shift that the cloud chasing set would have you believe. Think V-8 as opposed to 4-cyl turbo - very different in the extremes of use, but can be driven very similarly if you want.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Easy, fellas. I doubt I will change much at all. At .6 with smaller air flow and draw, I am actually getting a surprisingly cool, smooth vape with loads of flavor. Which is right where I like to be. So much so, that when the P67 come out I might just get a couple of RM4's to match up with them.

Seems like my Reos Gear just keeps growing...

and growing...

and growing...

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Have a few more Questions. Strictly M-T-L Vaper, looking for flavor. I must admit I am really liking the flavor I am getting running dual for flavor instead of clouds. I enjoy the RM4 setup with smallest hole and smaller drip tip, and the Cyclone closed 3/4 of the way.
So... I am looking at Rob's website and the Reos compatible thread. I know I like the RM4 but do not like the RM5. What about the RM6 (Stillare), RM7 (Rogue), RM8 (Derringer) and RM9 (Vector) ? Which of these are strictly cloud chasers (not), and which are compatible to MTL flavor chasing ?

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Just my opinion here...

RM6 - big air atty, not known for flavour. Prolly not the best for MTL.

RM7 - quite airy, okay for flavour. MTL would be okay, but not it's strong suit.

RM8 - quite versatile. Air is okay for MTL when dialled down, flavour can be very good.

RM9 - another bigger air atty.

Note - these are all great atties for particular uses; my comments are just with respect to your preferences. Of all of them, I'd recommend the RM8 and maybe the RM7.

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
Papaw, I don't have much experience with the rms. I only have one. But what I will say about clouds vs flavor is that I believe almost any rebuildable atty can do either or both, depending on air flow control.

Mostly, I believe the build itself, regardless of the atty, will drive that. Lower ohms draws more energy through the coil, proper wicking allows for more liquid to be consumed on a single vape and the percentage of pg/vg and nicotine determines the flavor and experience that you want. Multiple coils also provide more surface area and energy consumption, heating more juice at once. Even your drip tip factors in on how much vapor can be inhaled at one time.

From there, for me a rba choice becomes what is easiest to build, how many coils will it support and how well can air flow be controlled. Wide open air flow is going to be more conducive to lung hits and cloud production.

Hopefully, someone a little more experienced with rms can weigh in on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread