Dual Coils & Varable Wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squonk

Sep 20, 2014
Manchester, UK
Hey everyone.

So, I recently invested in an Itaste MVP 2.0 and Mini Protank 3 setup. Being fairly new to vaping, and somewhat educated (thanks to ECF), I have finally got my head around the fundamentals of variable wattage.

There's one thing that still puzzles me though... How does the MVP perform with dual coils in wattage mode, knowing that the device has a max limit of 11 watts? Does this limit assume a single coil atty? Can i safely 'max out' the wattage even though I'm using a low res coil?

I'm really just looking to get the full benefit from this awesome device, and considering most half decent tanks on the market now use DC's, I'm not sure which way to go.

Thanks in advance. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Your battery doesn't care how many coils there are in your atty (they are configured in parallel). The battery reads the resistance of the atomizer. But an 1.5 dual coil atomizer consists of two 3Ω coils, so the wattage produced is divided between two coils. IOW, dual coils need more wattage (higher voltage) than the same resistance single coils. Imagine vaping two 3Ω atties attached to your battery at the same time. :D

More on the subject:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/618105-volts-watts-vape.html#post14466477

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Ahh... So it's split between the coils? Thanks Katya. I'm guessing the 11 watt limit isn't going to provide many dual coil attys with a great deal of power then. Would switching to voltage mode be more beneficial?

I makes no difference IMO, or very little. Did you read the link provided? The MVP has both a voltage and wattage and amp limits--there is only so much you can get out of it. :) If your wattage is too high for those limits, and your battery cannot supply the amps required, the voltage will drop. :facepalm: The Ohm's law cannot be defied.

Having said that, I have used my MVP2 with dual coil atties without any problems. Kanger recommends 5-7.5 watts per coil. I vape in that range and I'm happy. I never needed more than 4.2-4.6v for the duals I use, but that's very close to what the MVP2 can output. I also use my dual coil tanks like the Aerotank on my 6v mods. Do they perform any better with a bit of overhead? Not sure. Maybe. :)

If you need more oomph from your PV, you'll have to move up to rebuildables--they are designed to wick much faster and they have much better airflow, thus allowing for much higher wattages. But if you're going to go for higher wattages, you'll also need a more powerful battery with higher amp limits.

Squonk

Sep 20, 2014
Manchester, UK
So the 11 watts will only regulate to its voltage equivalent, determined by the resistance of the coil? is that right lol. Anyway I've set it to 4.2 volts and it vapor production seems better. I dunno, maybe I just don't quite get it yet, but I will re-read the link you posted. I will get there eventually. :) Many thanks again.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
So the 11 watts will only regulate to its voltage equivalent, determined by the resistance of the coil? is that right lol. Anyway I've set it to 4.2 volts and it vapor production seems better. I dunno, maybe I just don't quite get it yet, but I will re-read the link you posted. I will get there eventually. :) Many thanks again.

Right. You set one or the other--watts or volts--the other one follows.

When in doubt, just start low and adjust your wattage (or voltage) up (or down) to taste. You'll find your sweet spot in not time!

Happy vaping!

Trailz

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
NE OH US
I run my dual coil Aerotanks and Nautilus mini (1.8u dual coils) at 11 watts or 4.2-4.3V on the MVP 2 without burning and it produces a nice vape. When I put them on the leaf istick I go no higher than 7.5W, currently running at 7.2W. Start low and stop when you find your're sweet spot.

Wattage mode is nice when switching between tanks with different coil resistance. If I'm set to 10W using a 1.8u coil then switch to a tank with a 1.5u coil, the device reads the coil resistance and adjusts the voltage to produce the set wattage.

owmang

Jul 3, 2014
New Zealand`
Hey everyone.

So, I recently invested in an Itaste MVP 2.0 and Mini Protank 3 setup. Being fairly new to vaping, and somewhat educated (thanks to ECF), I have finally got my head around the fundamentals of variable wattage.

There's one thing that still puzzles me though... How does the MVP perform with dual coils in wattage mode, knowing that the device has a max limit of 11 watts? Does this limit assume a single coil atty? Can i safely 'max out' the wattage even though I'm using a low res coil?

I'm really just looking to get the full benefit from this awesome device, and considering most half decent tanks on the market now use DC's, I'm not sure which way to go.

Thanks in advance. :)

if your using factory coils (pre-built) in a regulated device such as an mvp then you have nothing to worry about. vape at what ever wattage you feel brings the right vape to you.
think of it like this; assuming you had a dual coil head and a single coil head at the same resistance and running them both at the same wattage, the single coil head will put out twice as much heat in one coil but have half as much surface area. Where as the dual coil will put out half as much heat to each coils with twice as much surface area. the difference between dual and single performance is completely subjective. you may like a hot vape that single coils bring or you might prefer the cooler vape that a dual coil brings. only you are the judge when it comes to using duals or singles heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread