Dumb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briflexia

Aug 2, 2018
alright so I used to smoke like a pack of cigarettes a day and then I stopped for about a year and got into vaping nicotine like 2 weeks ago, 6ml and tonight I went to take a shower and felt perfectly fine then out of no where heart started racing, and I couldn’t breathe and got very lightheaded and everything started to black out completely... then I threw up and had a pounding headache could it have been the nicotine I’ve been vaping? I didn’t feel any warning signs, I felt perfectly fine so wasn’t sure if that was the cause or not... just kind of concerned

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
i don't know how much nicotine you have been using, but usually if you overdo it you will get some nausea, and lightheadedness, as well as a headache. You should see a doctor if you are concerned. This is not a medical forum. Those could be very serious symptoms of many things.

Briflexia

Aug 2, 2018
i don't know how much nicotine you have been using, but usually if you overdo it you will get some nausea, and lightheadedness, as well as a headache. You should see a doctor if you are concerned. This is not a medical forum. Those could be very serious symptoms of many things.
Alight thank you and I don’t want to be a bother but how much is a bad amount of nicotine to consume

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Alight thank you and I don’t want to be a bother but how much is a bad amount of nicotine to consume
Well, if I was your doctor, I would say any is too much! But as a smoker, I try to use as little as possible to satisfy my cravings, so I can stay off cigarettes. Any more than that is more than I want.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
alright so I used to smoke like a pack of cigarettes a day and then I stopped for about a year and got into vaping nicotine like 2 weeks ago, 6ml and tonight I went to take a shower and felt perfectly fine then out of no where heart started racing, and I couldn’t breathe and got very lightheaded and everything started to black out completely... then I threw up and had a pounding headache could it have been the nicotine I’ve been vaping? I didn’t feel any warning signs, I felt perfectly fine so wasn’t sure if that was the cause or not... just kind of concerned
Hi and welcome,
How long did you smoke and how did you quit?
If you had successfully stopped using nicotine, why would you begin again?
Switch to 0.0% juice. (No more nicotine OD)
What kind of device are you using? (smok/vapresso/Juul)
Where are you located?
Do you take any doctor prescribed medications for anxiety?

Cheers
I

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
how much is a bad amount of nicotine to consume
How much is a bad amount of caffeine or alcohol to consume?
Nobody can tell, it differs individually. I can drink 3-4 espressos a day my wife can't drink a single one without ill effects (sweating, overexcitement, feeling rushed).
What you experienced, if it indeed was an effect of nicotine, was too much in too little time. That's bad with most recreational items, to varying degrees.
If you're an adult, enjoy nicotine and want some of that in your life then you'll have to test the right amount that's good for you. Start low (eg 3mg/ml) and have some juice with the same flavor but higher nic (eg 9mg/ml) to mix the ratio up and keep track of hat you did.
That's the opposite of what a recent smoker should do since for them it's important to not smoke, they should start high and mix down. If I got it right you long stopped smoking so you don't need to match some craving you have like a smoker does.

That all is only if nicotine "overdose" was the cause of you feeling unwell. We're not doctors, and even if we were it'd be bad practice to diagnose based on some forum posts, to make sure what happened you should still talk to a doctor.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
heart racing and trouble breathing sounds like a panic attack. Blackout maybe from hyperventalating ? (when you breathe really fast , you can intake more carbon monoxide then necessary) . Throwing up and pounding headache could be a lot of things , including nicotine overdose. In my case , I overdosed on nicotine once while on the patch and smoking , I had a major headache almost to the point of migrane for awhile. Usually you throw up from the pain, so the headache would come first.

I am no doctor, and just expressing my experiences. You can always vape at 0% nicotine juice. It is easy to vape too much nicotine if you aren't used to it (after quitting for a year) , and flavors that taste good. Try talking to a doctor about your experience, because everyones warning signs and bodies are different ! Get a blood test done to be sure you are ok =)

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland

Generally any effect you get from vaping are within a few seconds. It sounds like you have some other condition you should have checked out.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

Sounds like you had a panic attack, but Nicotine overdose can cause lightheadedness, cold extremities (hands and fingers), ringing in the ears, dizziness, rapid heartbeat, and a cold sweat. Were you a former smoker or are you a non-smoker who tried vaping?

What strength are you vaping? You said 6ml in your post, but that's a liquid quantity. Nicotine content is usually expressed as milligram per milliliter (as in 24mg/ml). I started at 24mg/ml at first and never had nic overdose effects, but I was a 2 PAD smoker. 18mg/ml is a common starting point for most smokers.

If you happen to be a non-smoker who wanted to try vaping, a good nicotine starting point in your juice would be 3mg/ml or no more than 6mg/ml. Since you stopped for a year before vaping you need low nicotine or maybe even no nic to start, especially if you are vaping on a cloud atomizer, direct to lung high, airflow mod. If you can breathe easily through the atomizer it's a DTL device and you get a lot of nic at one time.

Since you haven't smoked for a year even a little nic can cause the symptoms you described, but you should get checked out by a doctor. What you described could be nic overdose or a just a panic attack, or a combination of both, but until you are diagnosed by an MD all bets are off.

Blacking out can also be a heart rhythm issue, so go have a checkout with an EKG and blood work and find out if you are having skipped heartbeats or something else. If a doctor checks you out it will also give you confidence that it's likely nothing serious.

I'm no doctor, but when I was younger I had similar symptoms once or twice. Getting checked out boosted my confidence that it was a transient occurrence brought on by stress.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You wouldn't ask a Doctor for vaping tips
Unless he/she was a vaper, too. ;)

luxury-dammit-jim-meme-vaping-rocketfuelvapes-vape-pinterest-smoking-the-dammit-jim-meme.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Diver9543

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah I can't say for sure that is nicotine overload or not, it's certainly possible that some slight nic overload could have set off a bit of well, panic as your body started feeling weird, and some of the symptoms could overlap for sure.

Thing is, it's really hard to say what is "too much" nic for one person versus another. If you quit smoking for a long time, you are considered nicotine "naiive" in the sense that your body isn't used to it, so I would say starting on the very low side like 1.5 or 3 mg./ml would be smart, and stop vaping if you get a hint of feeling bad (if you have to vape nicotine at all it's certainly not a requirement).

However, if I had that happen to me (and I've had mild nic overload and certainly not ANYTHING as extreme as you experienced) I would probably stop vaping and see my medical professional before I continued.

You also really need to think about if you want/need to foster a "nicotine habit" that you have already stepped away from, etc. If I had successfully quit smoking, unless I had SUPREMELY important motivations for it, such as avoiding returning to smoking, I doubt I would vape any nicotine.

Best of luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Anna

Reactions: Briflexia

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Headache, nausea elevated heart rate and respiration are all common symptoms of nic poisoning. But they are also all symptoms of many of many other ailments. I would not expect to see these delayed, however: too much nic from vaping, in my experience, shows up pretty quickly. I agree: see your doctor.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Headache, nausea elevated heart rate and respiration are all common symptoms of nic poisoning.
That's kinda strong wording. Maybe "nic sick" would be more appropriate. Poisoning sounds so fatal.

I've never heard or read of anyone getting nic poisoning and dying from vaping.

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
That's kinda strong wording. Maybe "nic sick" would be more appropriate. Poisoning sounds so fatal.

I've never heard or read of anyone getting nic poisoning and dying from vaping.
Very well, Bad. Nic sick it is. Apologies if anyone else thinks it is inappropriate. Still, in terms of toxicology, this is the correct term. "Poisoning" means ingesting a substance that interferes with normal body functions and does not necessarily result in death.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Yeah I can't say for sure that is nicotine overload or not, it's certainly possible that some slight nic overload could have set off a bit of well, panic as your body started feeling weird, and some of the symptoms could overlap for sure.

Thing is, it's really hard to say what is "too much" nic for one person versus another. If you quit smoking for a long time, you are considered nicotine "naiive" in the sense that your body isn't used to it, so I would say starting on the very low side like 1.5 or 3 mg./ml would be smart, and stop vaping if you get a hint of feeling bad (if you have to vape nicotine at all it's certainly not a requirement).

However, if I had that happen to me (and I've had mild nic overload and certainly not ANYTHING as extreme as you experienced) I would probably stop vaping and see my medical professional before I continued.

You also really need to think about if you want/need to foster a "nicotine habit" that you have already stepped away from, etc. If I had successfully quit smoking, unless I had SUPREMELY important motivations for it, such as avoiding returning to smoking, I doubt I would vape any nicotine.

Best of luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Anna

Yeah it's very possible you had a bit too much nicotine and your heart raced, then you got worried / anxious about it and had a panic attack. Keep calm and just get a blood test done =)

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
As a medic my vote is see your Dr.

If we came upon you experiencing those symptoms you would probably be a "load and go", depending on your age and general presentation, now that you appear to be back to normal, I say that because you felt good enough to come to the forum and type, you would become a "stay and play" and as your heart rate returned to normal, vitals stabilized and no other symptoms (joint pain, jaw pain, pain between shoulder blades, plugged ears, perspiration, etc...) we would tell you to see your Dr. As to what caused I have no idea which is why you should see your Dr and soon.

ETA Just noticed you are female, females can present atypical. See your DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread