Durability of an e-Cig

Status
Not open for further replies.
its kinda like moving into a new house out of your parents house- You have to stock the kitchen your first trip to walmart- you have to buy everything from flour, to salt, to mayo, to baking soda- and bread. BUT, once you buy it all, and spend that big money, every once in a while you just replace what you used up. you might not buy baking soda but once a year (cartridges), but you will have to buy bread and milk every week (juice ) mayo and mustard last a little longer, but still have to be bought- (atties), and then of course, you ALWAYS want to make sure you have plenty of flour and sugar- (batteries, passthroughs, )

This is not a one time purchase and use it forever- but it is an initial purchase and just replace what needs replacing- :)

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
It depends somewhat on the model and brand, but I've had eGo batteries last over a year. Atomizers vary. Some regular ones last up to a couple of months, while LR are usually only good for a few weeks. If you get a bad one, both can quit unexpectedly in a few days. So you want to always have two batteries in rotation, with at least one spare one. With atomizers it's good to have a few spares. And you don't have to refill cartridges when dripping. A drip tip is a good idea if that's what you plan to do.

skex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2009
Austin Tx USA
Atomizers can be pretty variable. I've had some that last months others that die in minutes or are simply DOA.

My suggestion is to always have plenty of spares and juice on hand including repair parts for mods. plus it wouldn't be too bad an idea to just have a second device for a back up.

Personally I've got my costs down to around $70 a month. I'll buy juice and atomizers from Best-Ecig every 2 to three months (usually pick up 5 atomizers and 200ml juice) then batteries from a wholesaler every 3-4 months as well.

This hobby can be fairly economical if you can settle on something you like and just maintain. The people who are spending large sums of cash are the ones who are either still looking for that perfect device for them or who just like having new gadgets :) .

Personally I ended up into the hobby around a grand before I finally found a device I liked, that was over about a 6 month period trying various penstyles and passthrus until the Prodigy V1 came out and I switched to just buying consumables and the occasional spare (switches could be a bit buggy on the V1)

Now to your specific questions. A cartridge doesn't last very long at all if you mean until it needs a refill. that said when refilling them they can last a long long time. I use 801s and I'll end up changing a cartridge about ever 6 months (usually when something happens to damage it (cig getting turned on for an extended time) other than that I'll occasionally pull out the batting and clean it with water trimming off any hardened parts that need it.

I do a combination of cartridge and dripping basically I keep my cart somewhat damp with juice then drip 2-3 drops in to smoke. It seems to help extend my atomizers longevity.

I tend to use an atomizer until it either dies, has severely diminished vapor production or develops a bad taste. As I said this could take anywhere from minutes to months depending on the atomizer and if I screw up (like the other day when I cooked a perfectly good atomizer by forgetting to lock the screw down on my V3.1 and it went off for like a minute while I was working on my truck).

Batteries tend to be a bit more predictable (as long as you are using manual switches) at least for me. I vape 6v (used to be 5v) meaning I use the little CR123As I try to have 3-4 pairs in rotation and they honestly tend to last about 4 months before they start having serious performance degradation.

This will vary a lot based on your use habits. If you are in pacifier mode batteries will last a significantly shorter time than if you are just taking the occasional puff. There are threads on the board from more technically inclined people than I but basically each battery has a certain amount of cycles before failure, But the performance isn't an instant drop off instead they will gradually drop off in performance until you just decide it's time for a new battery.

Now as to general durability beyond the consumables it depends on the device type and manufacturing standards. The typical device with proprietary batteries are generally cheap throwaway devices. They are designed to be disposable and are.

High quality mods on the other hand can be quite different. They will generally be more durable than the typical device ranging from tough to military grade. simple mechanical devices like the Prodigy and really don't have many failure points and I've dropped mine countless times and others have even ran over theirs with cars and they still worked.

I also consider anything with a PCB to be less rugged than simpler designs it's just an additional failure point and one that is susceptible to a wide rage of potential failures. So something like the Provari or Darwin will tend to be less reliable and rugged than a basic mechanical switched screwdriver though they compensate for that with a different more consistent vaping experience.

In a lot of ways the old saw that you get what you pay for is a fairly good guide to how reliable a device will be over the long haul. a 30 dollar kit is by nature meant to be disposable. The seller would go bankrupt on those if they lasted forever. These are commodity devices that are mass produced using the cheapest parts and processes that can provide adequate performance.

The mod market is a bit different, this tends to be the domain of smaller enthusiast entrepreneurs who are trying to develop the types of products they'd prefer to use. Their manufacturing runs tend to be smaller so they gain less advantage through economy of scale for using cheaper parts and components, They are serving a different and more discerning audience who will flame the hell out of them and bad talk their products if they put shoddy stuff out. These guys tend to be more willing to stand behind their work offering solid warranties. This isn't to say that their aren't some shoddy products in the mod market but you will generally tend towards more reliable devices from it.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit for you.

ZenWarrior

Apr 19, 2011
Quebec
For the 510 model
Could we estimate that an atomizer last 40ml as well as a cartridge last 40ml?
And that a battery aproximatively last 400ml?

if my estimation would be true it would mean that:
a 3ml per day vaper, would purchase every 4.5month 400ml, 10atomizer, 10cartridge and 1 battery for a cost of 65$ per month
(63.33$ without shipping or 69.32$ with shipping if u leave as far as me)

Thank you for helping me with your personnal experience, even if its only approximation :)
Whats is your estimation and/or personnal experience?

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
For the 510 model
And that a battery approximatively last 400ml?

if my estimation would be true it would mean that:
a 3ml per day vaper, would purchase every 4.5month 400ml, 10atomizer, 10cartridge and 1 battery for a cost of 65$ per month
(63.33$ without shipping or 69.32$ with shipping if u leave as far as me)

Thank you for helping me with your personnal experience, even if its only approximation :)
Whats is your estimation and/or personnal experience?

Your estimations of 10 attys may be a little high, treat them right, keep them damp with juice, not too hot and each should last at least a month, the cartridges can be washed out and last quite a while. (as long as you don't chew the ends :) )
Juice wise you're estimation is OK, but till you vape a while, the daily use is up in the air. I DIY my own juice flavors, and that would drop the cost substantially.
Starting out you do want to have spares of everything in your stash, no way to go to the corner store for replacments. And whaterver you don't have will be what breaks. Murphey's Law applies to vaping. LOL

Zal42

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Oregon
For the 510 model

My attys last, on average, about 3 months, vaping 3-4 ml per day (so that's over 300ml). I clean them once per week, and blow them out as needed. The only time I've had to replace cartridges is before I learned how to orient them on the atty properly and kept melting them. Now they last, apparently, forever.

And that a battery aproximatively last 400ml?

I've only just now lost my first battery. It was a year old, and I lost it by touching it while it was on the charger when I was full of static electricity and zapped it. It died two charges later. I have (had) three batteries and cycle between them, so so far they've gone over 400ml each. The remaining two show no signs of quitting yet.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Batteries - figure a life of about 150 recharges according to one vendor, but if you get automatic batteries you may kill them first because accidental juice leaks into the threaded end can mess up their needed drag sensor. Dripping is not recommended on auto batteries. Refilling cartomizers can be even more risky since the hole they would leak out of is right above the battery hole to the drag sensor of an auto battery.

Atomizer - 1 second to several months. You could get a dud or mistreat an atty and kill it. You should always have spares. Low resistamce attys used on fat-battery models and mods are probably more prone to dying since they are run hotter

Cartridges - lasts a long time until if gets loose from heat. You can reuse a bunch then wash and restuff a cart, and use more etc etc etc.

Cartomizer - 4-14 days if you start with a prefill or fill it properly, then keep it damp

Chornbro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
VA/DC/MD Area
its kinda like moving into a new house out of your parents house- You have to stock the kitchen your first trip to walmart- you have to buy everything from flour, to salt, to mayo, to baking soda- and bread. BUT, once you buy it all, and spend that big money, every once in a while you just replace what you used up. you might not buy baking soda but once a year (cartridges), but you will have to buy bread and milk every week (juice ) mayo and mustard last a little longer, but still have to be bought- (atties), and then of course, you ALWAYS want to make sure you have plenty of flour and sugar- (batteries, passthroughs, )

This is not a one time purchase and use it forever- but it is an initial purchase and just replace what needs replacing- :)

This is the best way I've seen this put...

Batteries vary... things like ego's and 510s can take ~300-400 charges. When you get into mods, batteries vary even more. As a rule of thumb, one battery is good for about a year of moderate use. If you have 2 or 3 sets of batteries that you rotate, then your battery collection will last you 2-3 years. All of this is under the assumption that you take proper care of your batteries (dont let them sit around while discharged, no extreme cold/heat)

Atomizers vary as well. If you burn them really hot or use juices that have a high VG content, they will burn up quicker. However, atomizers can be cleaned! I absolutely SWEAR by the burning atty resurrection method... search "atomizer" or "atty" resurrection. Brings my atomizers back to new every time... its crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread