Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I read somewhere that it was a brass smok-e Mountain Vanilla mech. No idea if it was a clone or not. Also, no idea what was on top. Further, I read that the store sold him nothing as they claimed not to support that kind of device, but that they did call the ambulance.

Regardless, this kind of reporting makes me very angry. For starters, it's singling out vapers. According to my quick google search, about 100 people in the US are killed with a gun daily, but that doesn't make national news. A similar google search turned up a number of 560 per year killed by "smoking materials" fires... dropped cigarettes, tipped pipes, etc. That doesn't make the news either. Follow that up with a severe lack of information... what mod, what atomizer, what battery, was it operator error or a device failure. These are all things that are needed to keep other people safe. Instead, they report on the sensationalism, and nothing else.

Garbage.

I feel for the man's family... really... But adequate reporting on earlier incidents might have prevented this one.

I agree 100% but in modern America the masses care more about which rappers the Kartrashians are currently sleeping with than what is going on around them and believe whatever drivel they read on the internet. So, it is sensationalism that gets the clicks, the views, and thus the ad revenue. Unless someone develops a cure for mass stupidity, I doubt the media will ever change. In fact I see it only getting worse. Hard hitting in-depth investigative journalism is DEAD. Just be glad the story was more than 2 sentences with 50 copy/paste Twitter reactions, like most "articles" are these days.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
It isn't always ignorance. I bought a Think Vape Finder 250C back in October. A few weeks ago, I finally opened the box. I set it up to vape and I used it for a few hours. And I just pulled it out of my pocket and was going to play with the door since it was hard to open. I had taken the door off and the batteries were radiating lots of heat. The outside the mod wasn't even slightly warm yet.

So I quickly ejected the batteries and I just happen to have an IR probe handy and the batteries were 170°F. I checked the voltages and they were 3.7v each. They were around 4.1v earlier. Connected the mod to the computer and the DNA250C seemed to be fine. Ohmed the power connections from the battery sled and it is nearly a dead short between the plus and the negative. My guess is the wire is pinched inside of the mod and the insulation finally gave away. That day I was lucky it didn't explode in my pocket or my face.

I wasn't implying it was "always ignorance". I was simply saying that adding a fuse and a thermal breaker in mech mods would go a long way toward preventing explosions caused by ignorance.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I know vaping has saved my life and continues to do so and I just don't seem to need a mech mod to prove it.

Although if the government takes on all of vaping I will learn to use a mech mod safely if and when I have to. I will also prohibit my family from like, contacting the press, doing an autopsy etc. (I realize it's not totally up to me) but if a mod takes me out of this world, I will beg my family to say it was ANYTHING else.

Like, my Joan of Arc sword did it to me as a bunch of villagers put me on a bunch of kindling. Whatever. Not the vape.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Do cell phones blow up too sometime?
You buy your ticket and you take your ride. And when your numbers up your numbers up.
They do. Lithium batteries are complicated somewhat delicate things that hold a great deal of energy. In a properly designed system there have to be multiple cascade failures for them to become dangerous. If the system is IMproperly designed or manufactured though they can happen. This appears to be generally what happens with cell phones. Counterfeit batteries are one major contributor. Also very occasionally you get a design flaw such as that one time a battery manufacturer increased the size of a battery and sold it to a phone manufacturer who had specked a different size. The batteries still fit but they were a bit too tight. The result was melted, burned and distorted phones.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I agree 100% but in modern America the masses care more about which rappers the Kartrashians are currently sleeping with than what is going on around them and believe whatever drivel they read on the internet. So, it is sensationalism that gets the clicks, the views, and thus the ad revenue. Unless someone develops a cure for mass stupidity, I doubt the media will ever change. In fact I see it only getting worse. Hard hitting in-depth investigative journalism is DEAD. Just be glad the story was more than 2 sentences with 50 copy/paste Twitter reactions, like most "articles" are these days.

Sure, if you confine yourself to the Internet .. please consider actual Print Media .. I know it costs money, but that's where your "Hard hitting in-depth investigative journalism" resides ..

And, if that dies, it is our fault ..

https://www.agilitypr.com/resources/top-media-outlets/top-15-daily-american-newspapers/

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think the right time to die is when you are mentally begging for it in a sincere manner,. For some, that's like the nursing home. For others, it might be age 12.

I think I'm trying to say the rightness of death is not age related, nor is it really merit based. It just kind of is.

Until/unless shops put together reasonable safety plans, this will continue. Even then, but less. All we can do is educate instead of panic.

Anna

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
It isn't always ignorance. I bought a Think Vape Finder 250C back in October. A few weeks ago, I finally opened the box. I set it up to vape and I used it for a few hours. And I just pulled it out of my pocket and was going to play with the door since it was hard to open. I had taken the door off and the batteries were radiating lots of heat. The outside the mod wasn't even slightly warm yet.

So I quickly ejected the batteries and I just happen to have an IR probe handy and the batteries were 170°F. I checked the voltages and they were 3.7v each. They were around 4.1v earlier. Connected the mod to the computer and the DNA250C seemed to be fine. Ohmed the power connections from the battery sled and it is nearly a dead short between the plus and the negative. My guess is the wire is pinched inside of the mod and the insulation finally gave away. That day I was lucky it didn't explode in my pocket or my face.
Wow - Fortunately you were not hurt. When I think of anything DNA - I think safety and this shows that things can happen no matter what device you are using.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
The NY Post article has some other details. Poor guy just got the vape and then he went to a vape shop asking for help with it. He supposedly did not buy it at the vape shop where the explosion occurred -- info a little sketchy but it seems like he just got it.

"
----Brown, who wasn’t a regular smoker, purchased the device on Jan. 27 while on the way to the bank, the grandmother told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. He suffered from asthma and was told that a specialized vape pen might help improve his breathing, she told the newspaper.

After the blast, William Brown managed to crawl out of the car and toward the trunk, where he collapsed on the pavement. A nearby witness called an ambulance, she said, and a medical examiner later ruled that his cause of death was penetrating trauma from an exploding vaporizer pen,.."

https://nypost.com/2019/02/05/texas-man-killed-by-exploding-vape-pen/

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I wrote to the vape shop --because I have heard they were told not to discuss the case. I despise stifling of freedom. I think that the public has a right to know what type of device - whether or not Eric (the name he goes by) was using it correctly or incorrectly.

I did receive a response - and the person that answered was nice and said that he was not present and he could not say. I wrote him back to thank him for his answer, however, I feel that if the person who had helped him knew what the device was that it should be disclosed.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I wrote to the vape shop --because I have heard they were told not to discuss the case. I despise stifling of freedom. I think that the public has a right to know what type of device - whether or not Eric (the name he goes by) was using it correctly or incorrectly.

I did receive a response - and the person that answered was nice and said that he was not present and he could not say. I wrote him back to thank him for his answer, however, I feel that if the person who had helped him knew what the device was that it should be disclosed.
one news article said that the storekeep claimed he was specifically told by the police not to speak with anyone. Hard to know what actually happened atm. The truth will likely out, eventually.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
Where is the pic of the car?

If it was a"pen style mech", don't most of those have the fire button on the bottom? If so it seems like standing it up in a cup holder is one of the dumbest things you could do, just behind purposefully shorting it out of course.
This is how I melted a delrin tip onto my Hobo, and why I no longer use mechs :thumb:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
one news article said that the storekeep claimed he was specifically told by the police not to speak with anyone. Hard to know what actually happened atm. The truth will likely out, eventually.
They know what type and should release the name of it. The police have no right to tell a shop owner what he can and cannot say. It's all friggin politics and ppl get intimidated.

The owner is super nice but pretty much is saying he cannot divulge anything. I gave him my email and told when he can to please share.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This is how I melted a delrin tip onto my Hobo, and why I no longer use mechs :thumb:
I myself have a pair of jeans with big holes burned through the inside of the right pocket. I was lucky. It was long enough ago that low reactivity batteries were still available and I was able to get the thing out of my pocket fast enough. That one was a protruding button unventilated mech too. That’s one bit mechs have gotten rid of at least.

Reactions: stols001

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
They know what type and should release the name of it. The police have no right to tell a shop owner what he can and cannot say. It's all friggin politics and ppl get intimidated.

The owner is super nice but pretty much is saying he cannot divulge anything. I gave him my email and told when he can to please share.
I'm pretty sure they should get an attorney immediately and that the attorney would advise them not to say a darn thing. Cop or no cop.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread