Status
Not open for further replies.

stretchpants

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
The Prettiest in NeverNear
I purchased 2 kr808d1's from a supplier and a couple of days later I ordered a starter kr808d1 kit from them as well. I was charging one of the batteries I received first in the charger that came with the kit.
The e-cig exploded and it was so hot the wires and filament part flew across the kitchen counter and soldered itself to a metal bowl on the counter. It caught fire briefly and went out but not before doing black as coal smoke damage to one of the walls in the kitchen.It only took 5 seconds for all this to happen.
My husband is a retired Fire Chief so we never leave a charger of any kind plugged in while we are out.
I am so glad we were right there to take care of it.We were very lucky. So this is a heads up to everyone. Never leave your charger plugged in when away from home.If we had been out we would have returned to a disaster. Honestly I won't be leaving them plugged into a room I'm not in. If you could have seen what happened in such a short amount of time it was unreal.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Very glad you were right there and there is no major damage!

A lot of us put our charging batteries in something non-flammable, like an aluminum bread pan. Just cut a hole large enough to feed the charging wire though and sit the battery inside. Of course, I still wouldn't leave it unattended, but it helps on the odd chance that they decide to become bottle rockets. :shock:

stretchpants

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
Why would they put a 500ma charger in a 280 kr808d1 starter kit? I would not have suspected that. Do you think that's what it was? I didn't know if it was the charger or the battery that caused the problem. I threw everything away. The entire kit and the other battery. I wasn't going to take any chances on which was the cause of the explosion.
Must have been a 500ma charger instead of a 200 or whatever a 808 uses.

stretchpants

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
I said to my husband after it all went down and we had cleaned everything up that I never had any problems like that with real cigs... He just looked at me...
I'm not going to quit using them but I will be ultra cautious when recharging time comes around.LOL

And here I've viewed the lack of fire hazard as one of the bonuses of not smoking cigarettes.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll be more cautious when charging from this point on.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I've seen this a few times. The worst one was an 18v battery for a cordless drill. That was quite a bang and a pretty good fire (had to use an extinguisher). The most recent, I wasn't actually there for. It was a go-go batt that didn't completely explode or start any fire, but it bulged the housing to a point it was barely recognizable as an e-cig batt. - I built my friend with the go-go a double-walled tin charging box. - I charge my batts in a safe place, but I'm going to make myself a box like I made for my friend.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I've seen this a few times. The worst one was an 18v battery for a cordless drill. That was quite a bang and a pretty good fire (had to use an extinguisher). The most recent, I wasn't actually there for. It was a go-go batt that didn't completely explode or start any fire, but it bulged the housing to a point it was barely recognizable as an e-cig batt. - I built my friend with the go-go a double-walled tin charging box. - I charge my batts in a safe place, but I'm going to make myself a box like I made for my friend.
I have a GPS data logger in which the LI battery suddenly expanded, popping the case irreparably open. It didn't catch fire, and it still functions. But for how long, without the case's protection, who knows?

Sounds like there's a market for protective shields for charging PV batteries.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I googled it. Expensive but probably worth it. OTOH, a BIG metal bowl sounds good too.

Makes you wonder how common this really is with e-cigs. I can't count the times I've charged batteries overnight. Scary. I do use protected batteries (14500's) tho. As far as the other "stock" e-cigs, IDK.

I wonder about the PTs that are always trickle charging and used as you vape em. Haven't heard of any issues, ever. There's probably 10s of thousands of those eGo PTs and the like in use. You can't use the wrong charger with them.

Only a problem if you use the wrong charger AFAIK. Maybe if the battery is damaged...?.....

Then again, post #9 is scary too. So, Hmmmm........... Big bowl time. Maybe aquarium.

Last edited:

dcot

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2011
Texas
Want to thank you stretchpants for telling your story. It convinced me to change how and where I charge my batteries. Decided today to start charging them in the washing machine :blink::blink:. I know it sounds strange, but dropping a short extension cord inside the washing machine, hooking up the charger/battery, and closing the lid, eliminates any chance of burning my house down. Worse case I melt the agitator :banana::banana::banana:.

Just to be super safe, the outlet I'm using is a GFI (ground fault interruptor) type to prevent the washing machine from becoming "hot" if a short does occur.

Last edited:

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
I purchased 2 kr808d1's from a supplier and a couple of days later I ordered a starter kr808d1 kit from them as well. I was charging one of the batteries I received first in the charger that came with the kit.

Were the first kr8s disposables? Some disposable ecigs aren't meant to be recharged.

mylose64

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Savannah, GA
I once had a battery explode on me.

I was charging it too! I plugged it into the wall and it exploded. The pieces went everywhere and they were so hot, when they hit my tv, the tv caught on fire.

Right now two of my walls are completely black, and my father who is a fire fighter was there to protect me.

My TV cost 900 dollars, so now we need to buy a new one.

My brother is still charging them at night, I don't know how bad it's going to be next time.

I noticed that when the e-cig exploded it turned an orange green color and a it looked like a snail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread