Accidental Pocket Fire..Lesson Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dready

Verified Member
Jul 15, 2013
New York, NY
So recently my lady had bought a Brass ChiYou for the sole reason to trade me for one of my Nemes being Ive been hunting a brass chi for months. Anyway the other day being her first day with her new Neme (also being her 1st mechanical device) I stressed the importance of safety ie: most importantly locking the device when putting it down anywhere.
Later that night we took a trip to walmart after learning the "ultimate vapers carring case" is nothing more than a vaultz diabetics travel case...but thats another story on its own. While looking at the aweful graphic tshirts in Walmart I started feeling some heat coming from my side and a hissing sound. Turns out with all my preaching ive done during the day I forgot to lock my chi and put it in a flashlight pouch i sometimes wear on my belt. The mod had heated up so much the atomizer (a nimbus) melted right through the pouch. I was able to pull the device from the pouch suffering a bad burn on one of my fingers, Luckly I got it to the kitched department disassembled it with oven mitts on, and the AW IMR battery was still intact, I was able to clean all the felted pouch fabric from the device. When I got home later I realized the white cup on the inside of the cap was melted, after many attempts to remove it I went with the last resort anyone would do and had to take a wrench to it. I chewed up the top contact that touches the atty and the plastic cup was a wrap and done being it melted. Thankfully VapeRevs "flatcap" has those 2 parts on sale for 20$ (mojo really needs to start selling replacement parts...) I also received my engraved 19500 tube and AIOS yesterday and now must wait an extra # days until I can use it, I also had to order a new nimbus, although the rba works and fires it wont read subohms on the meter, that I dont understand but oh well. Lesson Learned, Human error is always a factor that should be taken into consideration when practicing safety precautions, I always double check and make sure my device is locked before putting it down.
Just wanted to share and see if any similar experiences happened to anyone else.
One Love and SAFE vaping! :vapor:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I'm sorry this happened to you.

I must admit I'm trying VERY hard not to laugh at the picture going through my head of a man desperately looking for oven mitts, wearing them while disassembling a PV in the middle of a Walmart.

I do hope your lady restrained herself from....well.... You know.... The look :sneaky: :laugh:

Dready

Verified Member
Jul 15, 2013
New York, NY
I'm sorry this happened to you.

I must admit I'm trying VERY hard not to laugh at the picture going through my head of a man desperately looking for oven mitts, wearing them while disassembling a PV in the middle of a Walmart.

I do hope your lady restrained herself from....well.... You know.... The look :sneaky: :laugh:

its funny to look back on it as a lesson learned, But at the time i was SOOOO upset, I sure my Wife wont ever forget to lock her Mod.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Good thing you're OK!

What nags me a little about the locking mechanism on most bottom-triggered mech mods I've seen is their "counter rotating lock ring". It counter rotates the wrong way, in my opinion. If I want to tighten the lock ring in locked position, I'll end up unscrewing the bottom cap. I don't care to tighten it in the unlocked position.

I don't get why they don't make'em so that you can properly tighten them down in locked position without messing about with it.

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Valhalla
I have a Shortstop on its way to me :)
I have one, and to tell you the truth, it arrests too much. Unless you use super high-res coils, then it will be tripping all the time. Unless you let your device cool like 3-5 mins. between tokes of said high-res coil, you guessed it...it will be tripping all the time.

Mine collects dust, as proper safety/coil build knowledge and actual use of the mechs lock are much better.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
Good thing you're OK!

What nags me a little about the locking mechanism on most bottom-triggered mech mods I've seen is their "counter rotating lock ring". It counter rotates the wrong way, in my opinion. If I want to tighten the lock ring in locked position, I'll end up unscrewing the bottom cap. I don't care to tighten it in the unlocked position.

I don't get why they don't make'em so that you can properly tighten them down in locked position without messing about with it.

I actually think its done on purpose,or the chinese are incredibly stupid,choose one option.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
I have one, and to tell you the truth, it arrests too much. Unless you use super high-res coils, then it will be tripping all the time. Unless you let your device cool like 3-5 mins. between tokes of said high-res coil, you guessed it...it will be tripping all the time.

Mine collects dust, as proper safety/coil build knowledge and actual use of the mechs lock are much better.

I dont own one but i suspected this,thanks for the heads up.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Better yet Smoktech made one
Smoktech VapeSafe Fuse
it says its a 7 amp safety fuse. That means it should work on .5 subohms and up correct? or did I misunderstand?

at 4.2 V with a .5 ohm coil or coils you would be pulling 8.4 amps and 35.28 W your stick with a hot spring

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Good thing you're OK!

Most of the Piony mods The lock ring has reverse threading

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
There's got to be a cell pic of this somewhere...

Not sure what you want one of these for, but here you go

cell2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread