E-Cigarette ~ Depression and Depression Medication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I just signed on. I'm so sad. I've been using Logic E-Cigarettes for a few weeks. I loved using it, but noticed that my depression was getting worse. I'm on depression medications and noticed the back of the package "do not take if you have depression." Does anyone know what and why any of the ingredient could make depression worse? propylene glycol, glycerin, terpineol, methylfurfural, vanillin, menthol. I am back to smoking regular cigs. and it's making me sick. Please help me!:oops:

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
Interesting...the only two things in there I don't recognize are terpineol and methylfurfural..neither of which are shown as depression triggers. I mean heck, they're in foods, whether as byproducts of cooking, or in oils, etc. So I really can't imagine it's any of the listed ingredients causing it..it's probably more to do with nicotine delivery, etc. Reason I say that is because I'm also suffering from clinical depression and noticed I tend to significantly increase my nicotine intake during episodes. Is it possible you're just not using a sufficient nicotine strength to replace analogs, by chance?

My two cents: You're 'giving up' analogs, something that presumably made you and/or your body feel good due to the nicotine, and replacing them with vaping, so if you're not getting the same level of nicotine, you're not only going to crave analogs like most people transitioning, it's also going to worsen your depression by extension because you're not 'feeling good' having that level of nic in your body as you usually would. I'd smoke more when I was significantly depressed, and I definitely vape more too..so while I can't rule out a chemical cause, I feel comfortable saying it's more psychological/needs-based (nicotine delivery) than a 'You can't vape/smoke if you suffer from depression.'

Last edited:

Recon Number 54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
McKinney, TX
I would recommend speaking to your psychiatrist/psychologist or whoever is prescribing your meds.

I would imagine that they would recommend you getting off of analogs (for the overall health benefits) and using vaping to control and perhaps even gradually reduce your nicotine intake.

A warning on the back of a box is no substitute for honestly and openly speaking with your healthcare provider.

Having worked with professionals in mental health, I can tell you that they HATE the idea of their patients (especially those on meds who are functioning well) to quit nicotine "cold turkey" simply due to the fact that it can disrupt the delicate balance of meds (both prescription and self-medicated) and how they are interacting with neurotransmitters.

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    Hi everyone, I just signed on. I'm so sad. I've been using Logic E-Cigarettes for a few weeks. I loved using it, but noticed that my depression was getting worse. I'm on depression medications and noticed the back of the package "do not take if you have depression." Does anyone know what and why any of the ingredient could make depression worse? propylene glycol, glycerin, terpineol, methylfurfural, vanillin, menthol. I am back to smoking regular cigs. and it's making me sick. Please help me!:oops:
    It's probably not the E-cigs, what you are missing are some of the additive's in cigarette's , you should talk with your doctor about having your anti-depressant's moderated. I'm in the same boat ;)
    And welcome to ECF!

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It could be lack of things versus addition of new things that are screwing with your moods. Cigarettes do contain MAOIs that supposedly act synergistically with nicotine to increase addiction. MAOIs are known to ease depression. Who know what else is in cigarettes but not in ecigs that could have some effect on your mood. Add to that that you are probably getting less nicotine as well. It might be good for you to taper down on the cigs more gradually. And definitely talk to whoever prescribed your meds to get their input!

I went through a blue spell about a month after starting vaping/quitting smoking and it eventually passed. I was not taking mood altering medication though, so I wouldn't try to wait it out in your case.

Last edited:

Amish Ed

ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2010
    Lake Forest, CA
    amished.wordpress.com
    I have Bi-Polar and had to have my meds adjusted when I switched to e-cigs. There are MAOIs in tobacco, the lack of those in e-cigs can definitely cause depression to deepen when making the switch. Talk to your Psychiatrist about adjusting your meds. I know mine was thrilled when I switched.

You may also want to try a WTA eliquid. I'm not sure if it will make a difference as I don't know if the MOAIs are an alkaloid.

Micchi

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Absolutely talk to your doctor about this! Be ready to answer questions about your PV, and about vaping in general.

It could very well have nothing to do with vaping; a lot of meds for depression and other mental health concerns need a lot of tweaking, no matter how long you've been on the same dose. Your body may have just up and decided that you needed to go up on your dose, or that the meds you were taking just aren't going to work anymore.

Good luck! Hopefully you and your doc can find a solution, and quickly.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2013
    Indy, IN
    Good lucky to you! I know when I quit smoking analogs (over 15x's) it knocked me into a mild depression each time except the time i quit and I was on Zyban/Wellbutrin and this last time ( last and final!) vaping.

It's crazy what a hold those little devils have on us. So quite possibly quitting the analogs have thrown you for a little bit of a tail spin.

Last edited:

NiNi

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 4, 2013
    Paulden, Arizona
    I've been on anti depressants and anti-anxiety meds for over 20 years. I didn't tell my doc I quit analogs, I just did it. Cold turkey. I went high nic and didn't look back. Now, did I have any more depression because I quit analogs? I actually had more, but it was what was happening around me, totally unrelated to my kicking the stinkies. I took inventory. Then I talked to my doc, telling her what was going on, and as an aside, "By the way, I quit smoking"...........and she was like aghast! 8-o She couldn't believe I had held the line on analogs while all this ridiculous "Murphy's Law" type stuff was going on....yep, she smokes too, but we shall see the next time I go in, he, he!

That's me, and depression is different for everyone as are the meds (which I detest) but talk to your doc, take an honest look at what was going on while you were vaping and get a plan. Also another thing to consider is if you consume alcohol. :nah: That does NOT mix well with anti-depressants.

What I find so nutty is that several of the known anti-depressants are used as "smoking cessation aids".......yeah right, I puffed myself silly on those meds and they didn't help at all with the depression!:2c:

It'll sort itself out, you've just hit a stumbling block. Re-group, talk to your doc, and go forward!
    :)

_Lee

ECF Veteran
    Sep 9, 2013
    FLA
    It has been about 3 weeks for me and I am going through the same thing. I think the excitement and retail therapy of the first two weeks stimulated me enough to delay the effects. I smoked for more years than I didn't, so those little .......s have a deep root in me. I still smoke the stinkies in the mornings with my first coffee (I allow myself two). I do not enjoy it like I do vaping though.

I have had waves. Saturday was a "meh" day. Sunday was just down right miserable. Today was a good day, but tomorrow... I will let you know when it gets here. I have quit and failed more times than I care to remember. This time, I am doing it my way and at my own pace. I'm 90% there.

My wife is bipolar and has had serious issues with quitting. It has to be timed for her, when she is in an up cycle. She consults her Dr. in case any meds have to be adjusted.

Just do what you feel you can, talk to your doctor and don't beat yourself up. You will get there at your own speed.

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    I'm not on any meds, but I went into a bit of a depression about 3 weeks after I quit cigarettes and was only vaping.

Sadness, anxiety and extreme fatigue... maybe even some slight panic attacks.
    I actually came running to this board ...just the reassurance that others experienced this too at least helped ease my mind a little.

It was all so weird to not really have the "physical" withdrawal symptoms (like rage and irritability) I'd experienced when I'd tried to quit before, but I did have all of these "emotional" ones... it almost seemed to not be related to the quitting.

Now I see that for me it was definitely an symptom of withdrawal from something in cigarettes other than nicotine.

Over the course of 2 - 3 weeks it gradually lessened and then passed - and boy did it! A little over a month and a half in and I feel GREAT. Honestly, not only am I experiencing the enjoyment of a new hobby and the positivity that I quit, but I feel like I am less stressed than I used to be before I quit. Things that would have stressed me an irritated me to no end .. I'm finding the ability to cope better and just brush them off. Also, I feel more energy and like I'm procrastinating less.

Not really sure why my point is.. lol. If you're on meds and seeing a doctor, I'd definitely talk to him or her about it, but please have some hope that this will pass.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Because it would be a lot of work "liking" evey post in this thread (I'm using an iPad, and every time I click in the Like link, the screen rolls to the top), let me tell you how much in awe all these posts left me. This is the best board ever! Thank you!

My ipad used to do that, and it drove me nuts! I have no idea why, but it suddenly quit and allows me to 'like' things without taking me back to the top now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread