Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
"In locales considering extending smoking bans to e-cigarettes, I think that these data weaken the case for more sweeping bans," Fairchild said. "And so this begins to answer the question about why e-cigarettes are considered better: they reduce risks to both the user and to the bystander when compared to tobacco cigarettes."

I like that they include this stuff in the news story:

"Goniewicz has received funding from a drug company that makes medications to aid smoking cessation. Another study author has received funds from an e-cigarette manufacturer."

... although perhaps more specifics on the latter.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
This reads very favorably until the end. It goes from this:
"And so this begins to answer the question about why e-cigarettes are considered better: they reduce risks to both the user and to the bystander when compared to tobacco cigarettes."

To a familiar anti refrain in the final paragraph:
There are potential harms, including promoting continued smoking of cigarettes and renormalizing cigarette smoking behaviors," Goniewicz said. "Regulatory agencies around the world will need to make a number of regulatory decisions about product safety that could have major effects on public health."

At least the bias for that last bit was revealed:
Goniewicz has received funding from a drug company that makes medications to aid smoking cessation.

I suppose that makes the article "balanced" in viewpoints, as study author received funds from an e-cig manufacturer. But it's a shame that the article closes with an argument that a perception (renormalizing smoking behaviors) potentially causes harm compared to the real harm reduction of e-cigs for millions and that perception should influence regulatory agencies to "effect public health" (implying we need more restrictive regulations).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread