E-cigarettes are making tobacco obsolete. So why ban them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Good read. One of my favorite points raised:

"The cigarette is going the way of the top hat and the crinoline, if we encourage the safer, cleaner alternative. Here’s a life–saving technology on a massive scale that needs no funding. Are you sure that you — swearers of the Hippocratic oath — want to be the last people standing in its way, when everybody else can see the benefits?"

Last edited:

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
They want to ban vaping BECAUSE it's making cigs obsolete, and there are powerful and wealthy private interests that want you smoking because they make a huge amount of money on your smoking and dying from it. That's how it is, and you can call me cynical if you want, but I came by it honestly.

Consider that they have lost sales and taxes on over a billion packs of cigs so far. Do you know how much money that is?

It's a lot, trust me.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
They want to ban vaping BECAUSE it's making cigs obsolete, and there are powerful and wealthy private interests that want you smoking because they make a huge amount of money on your smoking and dying from it. That's how it is, and you can call me cynical if you want, but I came by it honestly.

Consider that they have lost sales and taxes on over a billion packs of cigs so far. Do you know how much money that is?

It's a lot, trust me.

Precisely.
There are so many moochers.. uhm.. people getting a free ride on the smoking gravy train. They are horrified at the idea of people - smokers, human beings - no longer providing them this free ride.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Precisely.
There are so many moochers.. uhm.. people getting a free ride on the smoking gravy train. They are horrified at the idea of people - smokers, human beings - no longer providing them this free ride.

Yup, and some of those moochers make the pills and patches for those trying to quit smoking that way, and those have a 95% failure rate. Chantix is known to cause suicidal ideation and has led to many suicides. No matter, they made a lot of money on it, so naturally they will oppose a way of quitting that's far more effective. Same goes for the makers of the patches, which many people wear two or more at a time, while still smoking. Yeow!

Then there are the insurance companies who get to charge smokers higher premiums, and the gravy train goes on. There are powerful private interests protecting smoking, and all the revenue that comes from it. You can bet they are the same people behind the anti-vaping agenda and all the negative propaganda about vaping in the media and online.

Viking343

Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Minnesota

It's a lot, trust me.

Well, considering a pack of cigarettes in the U.S. averages $6.99, (numbers taken from an article written in July of 2013,) by my math, is 6.99 BILLION dollars. Which is indeed, as you said, a lot.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread