Tobacco firms to spend millions on 'glamorous' e-cigarette TV commercials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishtec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
England
I hear you and I don't cigarette advertisement was slammed for glamorising them and soon banned wont take much for people to demonise e cigarette adverts it makes my children want to smoke it makes smoking look cool ect already read articles online and in the paper about how they try to make e cigs appeal to kiddywinks combine that with idiot children smoking them and posting on YouTube and a spike in advertisement I can't see it being a good thing

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
I am sure they will get many people to try their products, however I am not really sure they will bring much to the table that isn't already offered, maybe some superficial "new" wrinkles to try and stand out from the other tobacco companies and proprietary threading so you can't use mainstream devices on their batteries. Along with cartos or delivery systems that are sealed to make it hard or impossible to refill, thereby forcing you to buy overpriced replacements from them.

I look for overpriced Chinese made products with fancy marketing and packaging instead of new and innovative ideas.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Tobacco firms to spend millions on 'glamorous' e-cigarette TV commercials nearly two decades after advertising ban
---Health experts 'concerned' about glamorous celebrity image of e-cigarettes

Do you think the following would merit even an article, let alone a headline:

Alcohol firms to spend millions on "glamorous" liquor TV commercials...
---Health experts "concerned" about glamorous celebrity image of alcohol

pfui

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
@AgentAnia, Are you joking? alcohol advertizing is being targeted big time over here. Campaigners have suceded in having drink adds taged with a drink aware badge and every add has to end with the line 'enjoy alcohol sensibly' At the moment we are in a the middle of a big media debate over alchol sponsorship of sports. I'm in Ireland btw and France has renamed the Heineken cup the H cup for their TV coverage blanking out the logos.
I know that in Europe no one will be allowed to show an ecig actually being used on in a tv add. It would be considered promoting smoking.
Yes it's gotten that mental!
drinkaware.ie | rethinking our drinking

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
@AgentAnia, Are you joking? alcohol advertizing is being targeted big time over here. Campaigners have suceded in having drink adds taged with a drink aware badge and every add has to end with the line 'enjoy alcohol sensibly' At the moment we are in a the middle of a big media debate over alchol sponsorship of sports. I'm in Ireland btw and France has renamed the Heineken cup the H cup for their TV coverage blanking out the logos.
I know that in Europe no one will be allowed to show an ecig actually being used on in a tv add. It would be considered promoting smoking.
Yes it's gotten that mental!
drinkaware.ie | rethinking our drinking

I have a lot of UK blogs on my daily read list and I'm aware of the nannyism going on there about alcohol. Plain packaging? Minimum drinks pricing? etc. Hasn't gotten that far yet in the US; in fact, I see very little "moralizing" about alcohol here compared to how the powers that be are lately coming down on ecigs. Glamorized beer and liquor ads are everywhere on TV here; though no one is allowed to be shown actually drinking. As far as I know, the "drink responsibly" tag is frequently shown but not mandated by law.

Was doing some browsing on the Centers for Disease Control site (I need to get a life...). Started by searching for tobacco/smoking/ecig articles and notices relating to youth use, and slid over to alcohol use. Alarmingly little to be found, and it was mostly in the form of surveys of youthful drinking.

Just like to keep things in relative perspective, what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread