E-cigarettes generate high levels of aldehydes only in ‘dry puff’ conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2014
USA
Don't want to stir the pot but what this seems to indicate is that TC in the sense that it is far less likely to give dry hits, is perhaps the way to go. I might head that way when the technology is fully tested and prices become reasonable.... in a year's time perhaps. :)

TC is not related to this scare mongering and deceitful paper. The researchers used a 5 year old technology vape pen and fired it at a normal voltage of 3.x volts. The vapor omitted contained no toxic chemicals. Then they fired it at 5 volts (nearly setting it on fire) and it omitted all kinds of nasty stuff, including formaldehyde. So naturally, ANTZ got the NEJM to publish the letter. The findings in this paper were categorically debunked within a few days, but it still pops up once and a while.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Don't want to stir the pot but what this seems to indicate is that TC in the sense that it is far less likely to give dry hits, is perhaps the way to go. I might head that way when the technology is fully tested and prices become reasonable.... in a year's time perhaps. :)
And we will continue to evolve. And we will continue to try to make things safer. And we will continue but only if the governing bodies keep their cotton pickin' noses out of it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Phil Busardo did an Interview with Someone from Evolv and this Topic was Brought up. My take on it was that Evolv saw TC as a Two Prong technology.

A way to Limit a Bad Tasting Hit. And, A way to Limit Potentially Hazardous byproducts of a High Temperature Coil.

If I come across the Interview, I will post it.

Reactions: Ryedan

DCBD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2014
USA
Phil Busardo did an Interview with Someone from Evolv and this Topic was Brought up. My take on it was that Evolv saw TC as a Two Prong technology.

A way to Limit a Bad Tasting Hit. And, A way to Limit Potentially Hazardous byproducts of a High Temperature Coil.

Again, this has nothing to do with TC. It was a purposeful misuse of a old style vape pen running so hot, no one could even vape it. I'm not saying that TC isn't a good thing, but it has nothing to do with this story. You can read the details of the story being debunked at ecigarette-research.com.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Again, this has nothing to do with TC. It was a purposeful misuse of a old style vape pen running so hot, no one could even vape it. I'm not saying that TC isn't a good thing, but it has nothing to do with this story. You can read the details of the story being debunked at reason.com.

I'm not saying that Anything is Related to this Story.

I'm just saying that the Person from Evolv (Founder?) talked about the Potential Benefits of TC with regard to VG, PG, Flavoring Break Down at High Temperatures.

And Isn't that what is Occurring when a Person gets a Dry Hit?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Again, this has nothing to do with TC. It was a purposeful misuse of a old style vape pen running so hot, no one could even vape it. I'm not saying that TC isn't a good thing, but it has nothing to do with this story. You can read the details of the story being debunked at ecigarette-research.com.

Here is the Interview I was Referring to.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Phil and Brandon from Evolve talked about this in the DNA40 interview I believe.

The way I understand it now is if someone vapes 5 ml of juice at any wattage they will inhale about the same amount of aldehydes. The aldehyde quantity depends on coil temperature and in a properly designed build higher watts do not create higher coil temperatures.

OTOH, a high watt vaper is likely to vape more juice per day than a low watts vaper. If a vaper vapes 5 times the juice they will inhale 5 times the as much of any bad stuff that's produced.

ETA: Hah, you beat me to it zoiDman :)

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

OTOH, a high watt vaper is likely to vape more juice per day than a low watts vaper. If a vaper vapes 5 times the juice they will inhale 5 times the as much of any bad stuff that's produced.

ETA: Hah, you beat me to it zoiDman :)

Yes... The say'n "Sola dosis facit venenum'' (The Dose makes the Posion) is very Pertinent when it comes to Vaping.

If a Custard Flavoring contains a Chemical which may cause Lung Damage, then Vaping More ml of this Flavoring Only Increases the Potential or Real Damage to ones Lungs.

What is Promising about TC is it has the Potential to Limit/Eliminate Harmful Chemicals cause by Thermal Breakdown of e-Liquid Ingredients.

TC Can't stop a Person from Ingesting a something like a Harmful Flavoring. But It can Help to Eliminate Toxins created when a Coil reaches or Exceeds a Certain Temperature.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Yes... The say'n "Sola dosis facit venenum'' (The Dose makes the Posion) is very Pertinent when it comes to Vaping.

If a Custard Flavoring contains a Chemical which may cause Lung Damage, then Vaping More ml of this Flavoring Only Increases the Potential or Real Damage to ones Lungs.

What is Promising about TC is it has the Potential to Limit/Eliminate Harmful Chemicals cause by Thermal Breakdown of e-Liquid Ingredients.

TC Can't stop a Person from Ingesting a something like a Harmful Flavoring. But It can Help to Eliminate Toxins created when a Coil reaches or Exceeds a Certain Temperature.

If you're that concerned by thermal whatever, why don't you use a Quickmist instead? It doesn't heat at all.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Exactly :thumb:

Having said that, temperature protection is not foolproof and can still give you burnt hits if something is wrong that the TP doesn't handle well enough or the system goes out of whack. I have two of them, a DNA40 and a clone. After vaping each for a day or two with sub-par builds so the TP would kick in at times, I got to the point where I was pretty confident I would not get a burnt hit anymore. It did take developing a feel for how the mods work but I found that reasonably easy to do. Then again I've seen people not be able to figure it out so like many things in vaping it's not plug and play either.

TP is worth it for me when there is a chance I will have dry hits. It's not when there is almost no chance and with RDAs I've gone back to non-TP mods and Kanthal.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Exactly :thumb:

Having said that, temperature protection is not foolproof and can still give you burnt hits if something is wrong that the TP doesn't handle well enough or the system goes out of whack. I have two of them, a DNA40 and a clone. After vaping each for a day or two with sub-par builds so the TP would kick in at times, I got to the point where I was pretty confident I would not get a burnt hit anymore. It did take developing a feel for how the mods work but I found that reasonably easy to do. Then again I've seen people not be able to figure it out so like many things in vaping it's not plug and play either.

TP is worth it for me when there is a chance I will have dry hits. It's not when there is almost no chance and with RDAs I've gone back to non-TP mods and Kanthal.

TC, to me, is Still in it Infancy. And will Improve with Each Subsequent Generation.

Unfortunately, since Clones are Ubiquitous to the e-Cigarette market, OEM's do Not have the Option to do Public Beta Testing. And Must rely on the Retail Market to be their Testers.

TC is the Future of e-Cigarette Mods. And I'm sure will Transition into a Regulated Market.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Will allow much higher currents when the buggy mod malfunctions?

These mods are watt regulated, so they control mod output power (watts). You put an atty on them and set X watts, the mod reads the resistance and adjusts the volts to make the watts you set. The mod's amp output becomes what is needed to make the voltage at the resistance and watts set, but all these variables have limits which a good mod should not allow to be exceeded. The lower the resistance at X watts, the higher the mods amp output is and the lower the mods voltage is.

But that's what comes out of the mod, not the battery. Atty resistance has nothing to do with the battery, the battery outputs the same amps at X watts with a 5 ohm atty as with a 0.10 ohm atty.

I don't know if a DC-DC regulator can fail in such a way as to allow the battery to see the atty as if it were in a mechanical mod, in which case the lower the resistance the more amps and watts would be delivered to the atty. I've never heard of this happening though.

That leaves me with a worst case scenario in which the mod goes to maximum watts by itself and in this case a vaper might get a bit of protection from having more wire in the atty. OTOH higher resistance is sometimes created using thinner wire in which case it could actually be worse.

Setting not only the wick, but also the battery on fire?

Setting a wet wick on fire is something that is very hard to do with an atty that is well set up for higher power. I'm running two Mutation X RDAS with dual coils right now, one at 0.8 ohms and one at 0.4. I vape them at between 45-55 watts most of the time and get a just slightly warm vape from them. I have the 0.4 ohm MX on a Sigelei 150 which I just set to 150 watts and took two 4 second drags from it. I got a medium hot vape that had very good flavor and made a lot of vapor, no sign of any burnt juice and no flames :)

Now if a coil had a hot leg, or I didn't have enough juice in the wicks I would have had the burnt hit from hell from it, but I've learned not to vape that way. If my setup isn't right, I fix it.

In my example I turned up the watts to three times what I was vaping at. If my setup was such that I was vaping comfotably at say 10 watts, I would not want to try vaping that at 15 times what the setup is designed for and running that at 150 watts might have caused the juice to ignite or it might even have popped the coil. I doubt most people who like to vape at 10 watts use a 150 watt mod, but if they do this is something they need to be aware of.

If the mod goes bad it all depends on what it does. I've talked about my Sigelei at 150 watts at 0.4 ohms and that was not a problem with my 50'ish watt setup on it. If I ran 10 watt setups, I would have to be careful not to leave the mod at high power when switching atties to a low power one. I really don't see that resistance has anything to do with safety with these regulated mods.

Venting a battery should not happen unless there is a short in the mod, the mod outputs more power than it's supposed to, or the vaper uses a battery that is not rated for the battery amps required at maximum power. If any of these happen all bets are off no matter what resistance you're running.

Last edited:

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
Custard flavors are suspect? Would it be the Brass Knuckles that has been making my chest tighten up lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread