E-Cigs Gaining Popularity Quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtdisturbed47

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
I had first heard of e-cigs back in 2007, but ignored them because I thought they were a total gimmick, doubting their effectiveness. After a few years, they have gained popularity quickly and have made the news, there are bans, the government has tried to step in, and there is more and more exposure regarding e-cigs.

Commercials on television tell a story of a device that allows you to smoke anywhere (they shouldn't be saying that, it sounds like bad press waiting to happen), and show e-cigs as being this glamorous, sexy device that gives you the sensation of smoking. Why glamorize e-cigs? Companies like Blu, American Blue Tip, and others have a habit of portraying an e-cig user as being this hip, cool, sexy person and the e-cig is the accessory that everyone needs. This is bad, this is horrible. Anti-smoking ads already have their sights set on attacking companies that portray cigarettes as a cool accessory, so now that these e-cigs companies are selling their cheapo e-cigs based on sex/glamor appeal, bad press is going to follow closely behind these ads.

I am amazed that I am even seeing these commercials. Sure, there's no problem with advertising what you're selling in order to get heard and be noticed, but I don't understand why they are pushing their junk in such a manner. They are rushing to get popular and very rich, in the mean time the government is looking for a way to ban or regulate e-cigs. I think it's better to lay low on the subject rather than putting it out there that you can buy one of these things and smoke it anywhere and look glamorous doing so.

E-cigs are also in the movies now. I just went and saw The Tourist (Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp), and the character that Johnny Depp plays is seen smoking an e-cig, and it's like a spotlight was placed on his e-cig. He even explained to Jolie how it works, and that it's safe. This is good exposure, but not wise exposure. If it gets into the movies on a regular basis, then the government is going to fight even harder to regulate or ban the e-cigs. Movies can be excellent advertising tools. Even a 20 second clip of Depp explaining the benefits of his e-cig is enough exposure in a film for people to remember and to want to know more about them. For those that are business owners in the e-cig market, this is excellent exposure and sales are likely to go up a little because of this, but at the same time the government is trying to find a way to stop e-cigs.

Crumpet

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
central VA
I was going to post about tv commercials I've been seeing, but you covered it. I have to say though that I am glad to see the commercials stating 'no smell' and 'no tobacco' as well as 'no smoke' as good selling points for the general public to hear about, all while making e-cigs more familiar (less scary) to the general public.

We live in a sound bite world, so even with the negatives I think this will make ecigs less scary to your general (not zealous) non-smoker since they will see this 'thing' that looks like smoking but isn't, and it goes on to say how it isn't the same as smoking.

I know the pitfalls of admitting as much, but vaping actualy does look cool and since it isn't doing the same damage that smoking is I don't see anythign wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread