E-hookah with ultra cheap homebuilt atomizer idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapinginjapan

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
I had a neat idea for an E-hookah and would like to share it, in hopes that somebody with more DIY skills could take a better shot at realizing it than I could.

Basically, it would be a bottle with a Pyrex test tube in the middle. The Pyrex test tube would have a zippo wick (Alternatively a ceramic wick, which I think would be much more durable and well suited to this application, as well as much more cleanable, but harder to obtain) extending down into E-juice which was held in the bottom of the test tube. Due to the volume of vapor this design would probably produce, and consume, it'd probably be best to keep the MG level low, as the amount/density of the vapor consumed would be high.

Now, the zippo wick would have to be suspended by some sort of support system. Nichrome wire twists around the central wick would act as the atomizer. The wires would ultimately be hooked up to some sort of switch or controller. Gauge of the wire could probably be tuned to deliver the desired amount of heat to the wick. Alternatively, the 'Bowl' of a normal hookah could be fitted with a pneumatic airflow sensor to get the equivalent of an auto switch.

Now, the test tube would have air hole vents drilled into it on the sides, and would have a rubber cap of sorts on top. Hookah hoses would run into the rubber cap. The atomizer could be run until the desired amount of vapor was in the test tube, then the user would take a hit on the test tube, drawing the vapor built up in the test tube into their lungs. In the auto design, the side vents would be unnecessary, as air would be drawn in from the decorative hookah bowl on top instead of through the air vents on the sides.

It's my theory that any vapor that was not inhaled would merely condense back into the pool of e-liquid at the bottom.;

The beauty of this system, is that building a new atomizer merely entails taking a zippo wick, twisting the correct amount of nichrome around it, and re soldering contacts. Surely, this would take no longer than a few minutes. Also, because the zippo wick has a huge surface area, and is ALWAYS in contact with a huge reservoir of juice, the atomizer would probably have an extremely long life. Since you would likely only need half a zippo wick at a time, atomizer costs might run you $1-2 a pop, and last significantly longer than your standard e-cig atomizer. Essentially, a winner for home applications.

Large parallel wired 2400mAH Lithium ions could theoretically make this setup portable. And give a genuine home hookah experience.

Please lend me your experience in what technical problems one would experience with this design.

roadkilldeluxe

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
MN
I'm not sure if I understood your plans 100% but here's my interpretation with possibly some slight simplification. I hope this retains the hookah "interface", although I just realized a real hookah would have filtered the vapor... I guess the "output" of this thing can be re-routed underwater.

hookah.png

Not pictured: any sort of electronics other than the coil

Vapinginjapan

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
That's exactly my idea. Thank you.

Yeah, I think the huge advantage of this hookah idea would be that, if I could perfect a way to build the atomizer cheaply, we could theoretically have $1 atomizers that would last significantly longer than normal atomizers, by nature of being able to utilize much more surface area for the heating coil, meaning less wear and tear per given square inch.

It'd have to remain stationary, but could be battery powered.

Anyone have any idea why this wouldn't work? gonna test it out early next year when my friend comes back to the states and can bring me some supplies.

P.S. roadkilldeluxe: You have some sick art skills.

roadkilldeluxe

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
MN
I don't see why it wouldn't. I think the problem is that most people are looking for something more portable. That's not gonna stop me though ;)

Idea: the "test tube" or whatever plugs into a base that provides the power. Some sort of decorative base that contains a bunch of batteries or just runs off of A/C, USB, etc. Then you could have "test tubes" of different flavors and switch them instantly. I guess it would basically function like a big, fancy cartomizer and a big battery/power supply that sits on a table or something. If multiple hoses could be added this could be very interesting for parties...

Vapinginjapan

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Or operate tubes in paralell to mix flavors.

Dirt cheap, durable atties, and the ability to have atleast 4 people (maybe more) socialize when they sit down and use one is what I think would be the major allure.

To reacreate the water factor, have the hookah sit above the water, and have air coming into the hookah come in through a central air pillar extending below the waterline, then have the atty expel air above the waterline. no actual filtration going on, but the incoming air is still cooled.

Vapinginjapan

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Yeah, I saw that thread. The thing is that Carlos is using a traditional atomizer. You have your nichrome coil, wick wrapped inside it, and a pot. liquid needs to be sprayed onto it in order to keep the wick wet.

My idea is to have an atomizer pretty much drawing on an endless supply of juice. I've been tossing the idea around in my head for a new atty design for e-cigs that might be able to use tanks instead of carts, forever banishing away the dreaded things and ushering in a new age of 3ml tanks and all day vaping on one tank. The e-hookah is sort of a bigger testing ground for that. I'll give it a shot at building it once I get my parts from America ( live in Japan ) but for now it represents a sort of testing grounds for my design.

The tweak I want to make to the atty, in portable e-cigs, is essentially a wick coming up through a tank, instead of the cart sitting on the atty. So the tank would sit between the battery and the atty. Then the wick would be pulled through an aluminum neck with nichrome heating coil wrapped around it, indirectly heating the aluminum which heats up the wick which vaporizes the liquid. If this could work, you'd essentially have a nearly immortal atomizer (Atomizer coils never directly come in contact with the juice) and by using thick gauge wiring you could have an atomizer that could probably withstand tens of thousands of puffs. Neat idea, but the wick portion needs to be proven first.

Wicks would be cheap and if they start to burn or foul, just pull up the wick a little and cut the burnt part off. Bam, wick is good as new. And zippo wicks are cheap compared to anything in the e-cig world.

bayer

Jul 21, 2009
Google "Da Buddha vaporizer" Not sure if this has ever been brought up here yet, it probably has... that is almost exactly what the OP described. For those who don't know vaporizers are used for heating tobacco blends or by medical marijuana patients so the oils in them are, well.. vaporized. I believe they make an attachment for liquids/gooey stuff. I have a box-style vape if you want to see more specific pics i can post them up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread