E-liquid too thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else had a problem with their e-liquid being too thick? My first E-cig was one of those cheap 3 piece models with a separate Battery, atty and prefilled e-liquid tank. Now, that device worked fine with the thick e-liquid (french toast deluxe from Mapleleafvapes) but when I switched to a better 808 model, It didn't vaape well at all. :confused:

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
First , welcome to ECF . Now for the juice . I don't know what % of pg/vg mix you have , but the juice can be thinned down a little . Try using a few drops of distilled water , or a few drops of vodka . Only add a few drops at a time , if you get it too thin , your out of luck . Try that out , and see if it helps .

chuffin'

May 23, 2011
UK, Near Cambridge
Buy yourself a 5ml dropper bottle. Fill it with your favourite e-liquid and try to use it.

When you find it is too thick, add a single drop of water to the 5ml bottle.

If you live in a hard water area, use a little bit of molten ice instead of tapwater, as bough ice is from very pure water.

Try vaping again, the juice will be thinner. If it is still too thick, add a second or a third drop of water.

When you find out how many drops it took to make it perfect, you will then know how many drips per 5ml to use to make your juice perfect.

If it takes 3 drops of water in 5ml of juice to thin it down perfectly, then you can either work on small 5ml batches all the time for safety, or you can put 18 drops into a 30ml bottle and get the same effect :)

I hope that helps,

chuffin'

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Las Vegas, NV, USA
altcig.com
Try transferring about 3ml to another bottle for testing. You can use distilled water or Pure Grain Alcohol like Everclear (the drinking kind, NOT the rubbing kind of alcohol). Add a drop or two at a time, shake, test and add more if needed. The alcohol may intensify the TH a bit. If you want to use distilled water, I've read that an icecube from your icemaker is technically distilled water. I've tried both methods and prefer to thin juice with PGA. Finding it was the problem for me. I hadn't been in a liquor store since college. I thought Wal-mart or Target would have it. You can only get it at a liquor store in my area.

Didn't see Renzuli's post. +1 for his advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I won't use any thicker than 20% VG in my 808 and 510 cartos. I use 0-20% VG in them. And I avoid juices that drop a lot of flavoring sediment. I can get a week of good use out of a KR808D-1 carto

You can try thinning your VG with a bit of distilled water but I don't think it will be thin enough. ANd filling is a pain with thick liquid. If you are using Vapor4Life cartos you could try Bloogplanet or SmokelessImage cartos which may be a bit less tightly wound and may deal with thicker juices better.

And there's not much selection but you could check out the VG juices offered at Vapor4Life - they are probably thinned. Read the reviews there of those juices and the VG cartos and see if people like them.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I tried thinning it with Vodka, It still seems pretty thick even after adding what I would have thought was too many drops . I might just have to use my old style cig (works more like dripping since there is no filler material in the cart).

As A side note, obviously I'm new here and I just want to say thank you too everyone here for responding so quickly and really making me feel welcome to ECF.

(Also I plan on taking your advice and sticking to mostly PG in the future when using the 808)

chuffin'

May 23, 2011
UK, Near Cambridge
Pure vegetable glycerin is too thick to be used in e-cigarettes, pretty much.

If you buy Glycerin to mix your own e-juice, as I do, then add 10 to 15% pure water to it. This will make it the same thickness as PG.

Then all you have to do is balance your level of vapour and throat hit, not try to juggle viscosity and throat hit at the same time, which will be very hard.

For instance, I use 100% VG with my menthol juice in my 808, and I've never had a cartomizer which needs replacing. For me, cartomizers aren't throwaway items, I use them for months!!

Make your VG the same thickness as PG before you mix it. Use pure water from a melted ice-cube from an ice company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread