Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So this started out as an interesting discussion, now it's not.

Yeah... It got Tribal pretty Quick. LOL.

---

I'm still waiting for someone to make a Compelling Argument as to why, in 2018, China (or any other Major Exporter for that matter) should receive a Bellow Market Rate from the USPS?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
But in a Free Market system, isn't that the Reward for a company like FedEx or UPS or DHL?

If FedEx or UPS or DHL can get that package from China to your Door cheaper and in a similar time than the USPS, shouldn't they be the ones to who reap the Profits?

And if USPS has to Downside, will not some of those USPS worked migrate to FedEx or UPS or DHL as they Upsize?

Shouldn't the Market be the one who Dictates who gets what? Verses some type of Artificial Price Fixing or a Subsidized Cost Protection?

Those companies can not get it to your door cheaper. All of them charge a customs clearance fee of $20 to $30 dollars that they pocket themselves. It isn't a customs fee it is their charge for running it thru customs. They bill the receiver of the package for it.

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I don't see any part of this debate as having Political roots .. this issue has been hanging over USPS for some time .. it's an issue of

1) USPS loses money from Countries that are within the Treaty

2) China no longer qualifies as a Treaty country

3) USA companies (of which I own and run one) should be on a level Playing field when we ship to any Country … if I were able to get the Postal Rates that China sellers apparently get, it could open up a whole new market for me .. Shipping is a Cost of doing business .. I have watched International USPS rates rise over the last 10 years to prohibitive levels, thus choking off what used to be a great market for me in Europe, South America, etc .. yet, Chinese sellers seem to be thriving ..

4) China / Hong Kong should not remain in the Treaty

5) Domestic Postal rates will continue to escalate, partly due to the Treaty

6) The shear volume of low-cost shipping items coming in from China is staggering and growing .. and, they are, essentially exempt from the SCOTUS determination of State Sales tax collection Nationwide USA .. thus, providing the China companies an additional unfair advantage ..

Look, I get it .. Consumers want a good deal .. many are willing to wait weeks to get the Goods if the deal is right .. but, currently, this is a one way street .. all in favor of the Chinese .. it's not my problem what a worker gets paid in China ..

We're not going to stop getting Chinese goods .. the Debate is why should the USPS be picking up a big portion of the tab on getting Direct to Consumer orders delivered within our own Country .. ?? There is no logical defense that I know of for this ..

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
All of them charge a customs clearance fee of $20 to $30 dollars that they pocket themselves
That's about exactly the same here if I would entrust them with customs clearance. Back when I ordered some developer hardware from the US it was $30 shipping + $30 customs clearance :confused:
Not the politics that bothers me, it's the arguments about the politics being mentioned.;)
Then it's good that we added another meta layer and can now talk about the arguments about the politics :lol:
Now, where do I hide...

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Those companies can not get it to your door cheaper. All of them charge a customs clearance fee of $20 to $30 dollars that they pocket themselves. It isn't a customs fee it is their charge for running it thru customs. They bill the receiver of the package for it.

So USPS is Cheaper for the receiver of the Package. But that is because USPS is Forced to Eat a Cost that other Don't?

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
That's about exactly the same here if I would entrust them with customs clearance. Back when I ordered some developer hardware from the US it was $30 shipping + $30 customs clearance :confused:

Then it's good that we added another meta layer and can now talk about the arguments about the politics :lol:
Now, where do I hide...
There is no safe place to hide. Ephraim can attest to that.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... the Debate is why should the USPS be picking up a big portion of the tab on getting Direct to Consumer orders delivered within our own Country .. ?? There is no logical defense that I know of for this ..

Yeah... I still kinda waiting that that also in the "Discussion".

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
The Post office is required by law to deliver advertising junk mail like the inserts that used to be stuffed in Sunday Newspaper for almost no cost for shipping it. This is why my mailbox is full of advertising junk every wednesday. Cost $0.178 per each 3.3 oz. This is not profitable for them.

Every Door Direct Mail - Targeted Mail Marketing | USPS

The Post office is required to deliver to everyone in the US for the same rate. FedEx, DHL, etc don't they charge more for non business deliveries.

Post office gets stuff with a lot of non profit items and the carriers rake off the cream that they can profit on. This is a form of subsidizing businesses.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
The Post office is required by law to deliver advertising junk mail like the inserts that used to be stuffed in Sunday Newspaper for almost no cost for shipping it. This is why my mailbox is full of advertising junk every wednesday. Cost $0.178 per each 3.3 oz. This is not profitable for them.

Every Door Direct Mail - Targeted Mail Marketing | USPS

I'd like to see a Link to that law .. there is no actual law that I know of .. this program is a targeted defined area that carries certain delivery efficiencies and was created by USPS ..

And, how do you know it's not profitable on a bulk mailing basis .. ??

The same case could be made for delivery and return of Netflix discs by mail ..

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No they are charging the $20 or $30 custom fee because they can get away with it and pocket it.

But once again, in a Free Market where Companies goal is to Make a Profit, there is No Pocketing because they can.

Because your Competitor will offer the Same Service for Less, and then Market Share will shift to them. And this goes Back n' Forth among the Players until an Equilibrium is reached.

And that Equilibrium is Limited by when do you go from the Black into the Red on your Balance Sheet.

But with something like the USPS, they Have to offer a Shipping Rate because of an Outside Influence. And that Rate may cause then to Operated in the Red. So the Only Way that someone like the USPS can recoup, is to try and Offset things by Charging More for Something Else.

Or by Reducing their Operating Cost. But that is Problematic. Because the USPS Doesn't have Full Control of how it does business. So they are kinda Trapped in a Loop.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Like I said, it's not a Political Debate at all .. my question still is ::

"why should the USPS be picking up a big portion of the tab on getting Direct to Consumer Chinese orders delivered within our own Country .. ?? "

It would be great to actually hear an answer to that .. :)

• Agree
Reactions: zoiDman

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I'd like to see a Link to that law .. there is no actual law that I know of .. this program is a targeted defined area that carries certain delivery efficiencies and was created by USPS ..

And, how do you know it's not profitable on a bulk mailing basis .. ??

The same case could be made for delivery and return of Netflix discs by mail ..

They are in the Regulations set by the Postal Regulatory Commission. The Post Office doesn't set the rules the Commission does. The Regulations carry the same force as law.

Frequently Asked Questions | Postal Regulatory Commission
The Postal Regulatory Commission is an independent agency created by the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) in 2006, as successor to the former Postal Rate Commission, to provide strengthened oversight of the United State Postal Service. The Commission promotes high quality universal mail service for the American people by ensuring Postal Service transparency, accountability and compliance with the law.

The PRC is composed of five Commissioners appointed by the President with consent of the Senate, for a term of six years. No more than three Commissioners may be from one political party. Assisting the Commission is a staff of about 70 people with expertise in law, economics, finance, statistics and cost accounting.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
They are in the Regulations set by the Postal Regulatory Commission. The Post Office doesn't set the rules the Commission does. The Regulations carry the same force as law.

Frequently Asked Questions | Postal Regulatory Commission
The Postal Regulatory Commission is an independent agency created by the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) in 2006, as successor to the former Postal Rate Commission, to provide strengthened oversight of the United State Postal Service. The Commission promotes high quality universal mail service for the American people by ensuring Postal Service transparency, accountability and compliance with the law.

The PRC is composed of five Commissioners appointed by the President with consent of the Senate, for a term of six years. No more than three Commissioners may be from one political party. Assisting the Commission is a staff of about 70 people with expertise in law, economics, finance, statistics and cost accounting.

I know how it works .. your info means nothing .. your statement was ::

"The Post office is required by law to deliver advertising junk mail like the inserts that used to be stuffed in Sunday Newspaper for almost no cost for shipping it."

Where is the link to the Law regarding this particular program .. ??

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Like I said, it's not a Political Debate at all .. my question still is ::

"why should the USPS be picking up a big portion of the tab on getting Direct to Consumer Chinese orders delivered within our own Country .. ?? "

It would be great to actually hear an answer to that .. :)
Asked and answered. Because of a hundred fourteen year old treaty and the assumption that China is still a developing nation. (Parts of it are parts of it aren’t. The section of special export zones that 99% of vape stuff comes from certainly isn’t)

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I know how it works .. your info means nothing .. your statement was ::

"The Post office is required by law to deliver advertising junk mail like the inserts that used to be stuffed in Sunday Newspaper for almost no cost for shipping it."

Where is the link to the Law regarding this particular program .. ??

You can nit pick it all you want. They are required by The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) of 2006 to follow regulations set by the commission. That is the law that ends up with those regulations.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Asked and answered. Because of a hundred fourteen year old treaty and the assumption that China is still a developing nation. (Parts of it are parts of it aren’t. The section of special export zones that 99% of vape stuff comes from certainly isn’t)

OK, let me re-phrase .. although I'm pretty sure you know where I'm coming from ::

"Why should we not withdraw from this Treaty and re-negotiate, booting China out of said Treaty .. ?? .. "

Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread