Not open for further replies.

Toby

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
York UK
www.ivapour.co.uk
vaping in the UK is under serious threat

As part of the Governments "Smokefree Future" initiative, a shift towards "harm reduction" is proposed:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/dr_consum_dh/gr.../dh_111748.pdf

This ought to be good news for vapers who have already found a successful way of replacing smoking as their means of using and enjoying nicotine. BUT - the government has placed the responsibility for dealing with "nicotine containing products" with the MHRA. The MHRA is proposing regulation, which, if implemented as proposed, could see the end of the products and liquids we enjoy, and at best their replacement by "approved" devices and liquids "eventually". See:

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/idcplg?I...LatestReleased

There is a "public consulation", with a form to give your (please be honest but not emotional) views:

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Publications/...MLXs/CON065617

If MHRA ignore our views (or don't get them) the timescales for this consultation are too short to allow any current e-cig or juice vendor/manufacturer to gain approval for their products before e-cigs and liquid would be forceably removed from the market.

There is a suspicion that the MHRA were hoping for/expecting no responses to this consultation - they haven't even called UK vendors and vapers for a meeting.

PROVE THEM WRONG - LET THEM KNOW HOW WE FEEL

If you don't respond you'll be letting us all down.

Things you can do to help

Send a personal response to the Consultation as detailed above.

Write to your MP - WriteToThem - Email or fax your Councillor, MP, MEP, MSP or Welsh, NI, London Assembly Member for free

Sign the UK petition - UK regulation of electronic cigarettes Petition

Pass on the news to any interested parties - friends, family, acquaintances, other forums, twitter and facebook friends etc.

Thanks for your attention

(text courtesy of the UK Vapers Admin and Mod Team, mainly Jackie & Prof Beard)

*Updates*

5 Feb - iStormUK has set up a petition at the Number 10 petition site, please sign it!
Petition to: Quash the upcoming policy to ban electronic cigarettes. | Number10.gov.uk

Last edited:

Jackie P

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Hull, UK
ukvapers.com
Thanks Toby for adding a sticky post with this info, as I know you already realise it's important to get this info out to as many people as possible.

I'll try but can't promise (I'm forgetful sometimes, lol) to notify you if I make additions, presuming you haven't already added them. :)

We're starting to get some great numbers on the petition, lets hope there's also eventually as many MHRA response form comments sent! Big well done to everyone. :)

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
The UK Citizens and Residents on
Petition to: Quash the upcoming policy to ban electronic cigarettes. | Number10.gov.uk is being overlooked. We only have 113 sigs which is pitifull. We need 113,000 on that one. I don't know if it's being overlooked because the whole world on is first on the list of the e-mails that have been sent or because it is not Prominent on the Main Campaigning Forum or whether UK Vaper's can't be bothered to sign 2 Petitions (too much work:mad:) but this now needs to be the top priority.
I can't impress my MP with 113 UK Citizens. The American and rest of the world Sigs don't mean anything to him. They Can't Vote for Him or Her.

shogun

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2008
Iceland
To whom it may concern

I find it outrageous, and quite frankly sad, that the government is ready to make it illegal for adults to choose a product that, without doubt, is FAR LESS harmful than cigarettes! One can buy cigarettes at any street corner without any hassle. But buying an e-cig and some nicotine juice will now, become a criminal act.

I know quite a few people who have stopped or at least greatly reduced their cigarette smoking since they discovered e-cigarettes. All agree that e-cig has proven the most effective tool to reduce tobacco use. All talk about feeling much healthier and most DON’T EVEN MISS cigarettes.

The bottom line is that e-cigs help ever growing numbers of people in their battle against tobacco use. How can a responsible government be against a product like this?
I am fully aware of that misuse of nicotine by itself (e.g. using e-cig) CAN have SOME harmful effects. I am equally aware that using a product that has nicotine, PLUS has at least 40 proven carcinogenic substances (regular cigarettes), is FAR MORE HARMFUL. It should be noted that nicotine by itself IS NOT carcinogenic. People do NOT get cancer from using nicotine.

Politicians need to take a deep breath (something you can do when using e-cigs instead of cigarettes) and really think about their action. Will their votes and actions contribute to the well being of their constituent? This is all that matters. It seems clear to me that banning the use of e-cigs will do far more harm than good. Politicians who decide to criminalize the use of e-cigs owe it to their voters, to democracy itself, to explain how criminalization is better for their fellow man.

Sincerely

Sigurður Hólm Gunnarsson
Citizen of Iceland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread