Status
Not open for further replies.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I am calling it an evening. Feel free to ask away. If I dont get to you someone surely will. I wish you luck, and remember there are infinite combinations of flavors, vape temperatures, nic levels, etc. All these things can be tweeked to make your experience fine tuned to what you need and like. Like I said I'm at 90 days, and just in the past couple of weeks have I found my "sweet spot". So stick with it, and dont hesitate to ask. There is no such thing as a silly question.

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
Thanks for the reply Fox.

So I did a search for how to clean the Stardusts, says you just take off the drip tip and run warm water into it?

How long do I let it dry for?

What is a "dry burn"? Suck on it while pressing the battery? How many times? Doesn't that taste like hell?

Also trying to get a handle on how much juice I will need. 1ml a day?

Also is there any juices I should be warry of that might crack the tank, Ive heard cinnamon is bad (but not into that), but I may want to try some citrusy type stuff.

Also I added a LR 306 atomizer to my order so I can test juices before I put them in a Stardust.

Thanks everyone.

There are detailed threads on cleaning stardusts here on ECF, and even on rebuilding the coils (easier than you might think) but for now the water rinse you describe will suffice. Some people additionally fill them with vodka or grain alcohol and shake/soak them for a while before rinsing with water.

Hard to say how much juice you'll end up using, 1ml seems a bit conservative though. I'd guess 2-3 ml minimum but you'll be able to keep track of what you're using pretty easily with the stardusts as they are marked by ml. I'm a heavy vaper, but i have no idea how much i use personally as i dont really pay much attention to it and always have 3 PVs going at once, with different flavors and even those get switched out from day to day or hour to hour. I also use dedicated cartos/ clearos for every juice so they tend to last me a long time (some people feel they start to taste bad after a few days but i've come to believe that my taste buds are pretty damaged because i dont notice much flavor deterioration in cartos myself, as long as i cap them with the silicone condoms they ship with when i'm not using them...been vaping 2 years so I doubt they're going to heal much more....eh, so be it).

There are also some threads (heh, there's one for everything :D) here regarding juices which can crack polycarbonate...here's one: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-juices-flavors-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos.html.

Having atomizers on hand for dripping to test juices is indeed a good idea, but know that some flavors will stay with the atty for a long time, and make it difficult to clearly taste the next juice you put in it. There are "atty eraser" juices you can buy which help with this, vaping a few drops between juices is said to clear the atty of residual flavor (havent used them but i've read they work). Also, be sure to order a 306 drip tip to go with the atty you ordered, you can't drip a 306 without one.

Starts to sound complicated, i know, but really it isn't. You'll pick up all you need to know as you go along, and your gear and methods will evolve into something you'll be very happy with...the upside of the seemingly overwhelming amount of choices to be made is that with so many options, one can REALLY tailor their vaping experience to their exact preferences. It's a great time to be entering the vape world, truly. Happy hunting!

Last edited:

Bodasafa

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Crystal Lake, IL - USA
Thanks for the support Kwalka and the replies.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger, I just keep finding more things to research and want to find out before I do.

Here is an updated shopping list, mostly listing it for personal reference because I like to view stuff all in front of me, but comments are always welcome. I put on more juice with the DCV order so I could get to free shipping cause it would cost more without it ... lol.

From Dark City Vapors = $63.34 (with ECF code Thx! and free shipping)
Kgo Kit w/ 5pack 510 LR Boge Cartos = $47.99
x1 LR 306 Atomizer 1.7OHM = $5.25
Sample Pack (PB/Choco - Irish Cream - French Vanilla) x3 5ml Bottles - 18mg Strength = $5.00
Turkish Hills x1 5ml - 24mg Strength = $2.50
Blue Berry x1 5ml - 20mg Strength = $2.50
Strawberry x1 5ml - 22mg Strength = $2.50

Got Vapes = $16.21
x3 Stardust 1.6ml 2.1-2.4 ohm = $16.21

So total Ive got = $79.55 (or 2 weeks worth of analogs)

x30ml of juice with strengths at 18-20-22-24
x1 Kgo kit w/ 2 batteries + charger + 5 cartos (unsure what kind) + 1 510 Drip Tip
x5 Boge LR 510 cartos
x3 Stardust cartos
x1 306 Atty

So hows this for a starter kit? Do I need more? Should I go with other options?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Andante51

Nov 20, 2011
Michigan
I think you are off to a great start with the KGO kit from DarkCityVapor (DCV). They were highly recommended by some posters here, and we got two kits from them, coming from the EGO-T systems we started with 5 months ago. I have only found a few vendors selling KGO kits, and some put logos or writing on them - I can confirm that DarkCityVapor does not. Also some of the pictures there show gold bands on the batteries, but thankfully they are now silver. Customer service is fantastic, the owner is frequently available on the site via chat, even late at night. The KGO's provide the little extra power over the EGO batts that I wanted, and I like the blue soft buttons better than the EGO's. The black set has a nice satiny feel, with a better grip than the other colors.

First we did the EGO-T system which was okay, then tried the 510 skinny cartos (such as the Boges and Smoktek XLs), which drove me nuts - held little juice, constant topping off, not knowing where you stood on the fill level, leaked if overfilled and made too much noise. Then switched to the big EMDCC's (Ego Mega Dual Coil Cartomizers), which were big and ugly with a huge mouthpiece, but performed well, held a lot of juice, didn't need so much refilling. But they frequently leaked out the bottom, necessitating taking off the battery much of the time just when topping off, then cleaning out the bottom of the carto, making sure battery wasn't flooded (I am so glad that stuff is now history) and the asthetics were awful.

I love the new Ego Visions / Stardusts / E-Turbos - they have many names - I only use the LR ones. (I can also use the LR's on a box mod set around 4 volts or a little higher.) The main thing is that newer versions came out around Feb-March that have a metal pip inside that makes it much easier to fill them without getting fluid down the center tube. I have no leaks at all from the mouthpiece or battery ends, happened only a couple times when I way overfilled them. I am careful to always lay them flat, and vape mostly horizontally, or with the battery end a inch or so lower than the mouthpiece end.

You can very quickly fill them with a bottle dropper, or a syringe - not having to always remove the battery is so convenient. I love all the colors they come in, always thought the clear types were ugly. My hub vapes pretty heavily and used the same one for 3 weeks straight, no cleaning, no rinsing out, nothing, still worked fine. When I finally cleaned it, it was like new. I'm also a heavy vaper and vaped 4 in different colors simultaneously for almost a month, and did not clean them until today, and they are like new again. The colors make it so simple to keep the flavors straight. They also work great on our older EGO batteries. I love the way they perform, never a burnt taste, no fill taste, always knowing fluid level, blissfully quet, and look fantastic on EGO or KGO batteries.

The best video I have found for learning about and cleaning the newer Ego Visions, that is not too complicated, is this one by LordDavon: Vision eGo Stardust Review - YouTube

Today I finally cleaned and dry burned about 5 of them after several weeks of use, basically using the instructions in the above video, and used them immediately. I doubt I will clean them more than once a week. Not having to do the overnight drying was great. I just took off the mouthpiece, stood over the sink, ran some hot tap water in them, shook them about 10 times, drained the water in the sink - did that about 4 times, each time doing the flicking motion demonstrated in the above video. The dry burning part was what concerned me having never done it. The tricky thing was to pull up the white rubber piece with the metal pip so it wouldn't get cooked - which I was able to do with just your standard drugstore tweezers pulling on the pip, sometimes had to wiggle it a bit. Then I held the button down for about 5 seconds, 5 second break, 5 seconds button press again, about 5 times. To put the white rubber piece back in place I just broke off the tip of a regular wooden toothpick to make it more blunt, pushing on the rubber piece around the pip to get it back in the right position. I immediately filled it, put on the mouthpiece, and started vaping. At first it tasted crappy as the wicks were still wet, but that went away very quickly, within I'd say 8-10 hits they were just great again.

There is no way I would ever go back to using a regular carto after using these EGO Visions. I think the KGO kit from Dark City Vapor is still a great deal at $43.99, even if you toss out the cartos it comes with (they are awful), and never use the cones (yet another thing you don't need to mess with when using Visions). You still get a nice box, two batteries, the USB wall charger, and a manual - when just two batteries and a charger would cost about the same amount. I think the Ego Visions/Stardusts in the colors will quickly become very popular, and perhaps in the not too distance future someone will be selling a no-logo KGO kit that comes with a couple of Visions instead of cones and 510 cartos, but until then, the DCV deal is great.

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
Thanks for the reply Fsckcigs!

Doesn't this have a tip though? Dark City Vapor 306 Atomizer

Also will this fit on my Kgo without an adapter?

Np, happy to help. 306 and 510 use the same threads so it'll fit your Kgo fine. But the atty will come as pictured with a "dummy" tip/cartridge that is just to protect it during shipping. You'll want to get a drip tip made for a 306 ( 306 Drip Tips )...drip tips for other standards such as 510 or 801 won't work with 306 attys. 306 drip tips slip over the atomizer whereas most others slip into their respective attys.

Also, on the subject of compatability...just a quick mention of something which is of no relevance now, but which might be useful later if you end up (like umm...a fewwww vapers have been known to do) aquiring more vaping toys. There's a common misconception that any 510-threaded batt can be used with any 510 charger.
This is NOT the case, and using the wrong charger can actually cause the batts to catch fire or explode. Not trying to cause any undue worry or concern, but the majority of ecigs (at this time) use Li ion batteries, which have the potential to be quite dangerous especially if mishandled. Not to insult your knowledge of this battery technology, but if you happen to have never had occasion to read up on Li ions, wouldn't be a bad idea to brush up on the topic. I know when i started vaping, i had no idea that they were any different from other battery types. Turns out they're worthy of some additional respect. Personally, i never charge my e-cig batts unattended, for example

Bodasafa

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Crystal Lake, IL - USA
Np, happy to help. 306 and 510 use the same threads so it'll fit your Kgo fine. But the atty will come as pictured with a "dummy" tip/cartridge that is just to protect it during shipping. You'll want to get a drip tip made for a 306 <snip>

Not to insult your knowledge of this battery technology, but if you happen to have never had occasion to read up on Li ions, wouldn't be a bad idea to brush up on the topic.

Thanks for the advice. I was unsure if the orange thing was a tip that came with it.

Also, being a former carpenter (not anymore, dam housing bubble) I was used to working with a wide range of batteries. However, I am told by a ECF member the same as you. Its not a drill battery I can't just slap it on the charger over night and walk away. Which kinda sucks. How long does it take to charge these things? So I have to sit here for 3-4 hrs and watch it? What would you recommend?

Also side note... I'm thinking now I should drop the boges and just get another stardust. And I'm wondering if I really need the atty... Just when I think I have it figured out I second guess DOH!

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I would like to add, if I have already not, that you need to buy a $15 Li-Po charging bag. This is a fire proof bag that the charger and batt gto into while charging. That way if you ever have an overcharge failure, its contained in the bag. They are avail. at some vendors and they are all over Ebay.

Bodasafa

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Crystal Lake, IL - USA
I would like to add, if I have already not, that you need to buy a $15 Li-Po charging bag. This is a fire proof bag that the charger and batt gto into while charging. That way if you ever have an overcharge failure, its contained in the bag. They are avail. at some vendors and they are all over Ebay.

Is this really needed though?

Is there that big of a risk with Kgo batts?

I'm not trying to be rude, I do appreciate all the advice, this just seems like it might be overkill.

Last edited:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Thats not rude at all. My friend, relax. I would not of spent as much time last night w you if I did not feel like I could be of some help to you. It was conversations just like that that helped me when I was new. Thats why wrer here. Question everything! Especially when it comes to batts, charging, and safety. This is far from an exact science.

Yes, it is 100% necessary with these batts. These are actually the first size batts, in the chain of sizes, that need to be charged in a bag. There are a few incidents of eGo/kGo batts failing while on the charger. When the overcharge protection circuit fails, the charger does not stop sending current to the batt, and then, well. Literally think bottle rocket meets flamethrower, meets M-80. That is not an exaggeration, it has been well documented a couple of times. Once again, use the ECF google search box and type in "eGo battery charging explodes".

thatguyjeff

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
St. Paul MN, USA
Hey Boda-

I just started off with the same kit from DCV about a month ago. I think you'll be really happy with it.

I tried one of those e-turbos they have and I went back to the smoktech cartos. Also have some Boge cartos too. The stardust/e-turbo is okay, performs fine, etc. I just prefer the cartos.

I haven't found any difference in their Boge vs. Smoktechs. Both are great. Haven't had them very long though.

I've ordered 3-4 sample juice packs from DCV. I'm not a fan of any of their sweet flavors. Could be their flavors, could be my own preferences. I was a Marb smoker too and I really like their Black Mountain. The Turkish Hills is good too, but I keep going back to Black Mountain.

Just some of my experience.

Oh, and about the batteries...
I know what you mean about being used to just putting whatever on the charger and leaving it overnight or longer. I've already done it a couple times. No explosions yet. I get two days worth of vaping on a charge. On day 2 I plug one in around dinner time and unplug before bed.

Last edited:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Hey Boda-

I just started off with the same kit from DCV about a month ago. I think you'll be really happy with it.

I tried one of those e-turbos they have and I went back to the smoktech cartos. Also have some Boge cartos too. The stardust/e-turbo is okay, performs fine, etc. I just prefer the cartos.

I haven't found any difference in their Boge vs. Smoktechs. Both are great. Haven't had them very long though.

I've ordered 3-4 sample juice packs from DCV. I'm not a fan of any of their sweet flavors. Could be their flavors, could be my own preferences. I was a Marb smoker too and I really like their Black Mountain. The Turkish Hills is good too, but I keep going back to Black Mountain.

Just some of my experience.

Oh, and about the batteries...
I know what you mean about being used to just putting whatever on the charger and leaving it overnight or longer. I've already done it a couple times. No explosions yet. I get two days worth of vaping on a charge. On day 2 I plug one in around dinner time and unplug before bed.

I had at least 5 weeks of 4 diff eGo batts charging overnight on a regular basis, before I found out what can and has happened. So, now, like I said I use the bag to assure I wont end up on the news.
I am heavily involved in the Colorado law suit thread. Have been for 3 days now. Point is we all have a responsibility to ourselves and the entire vaping community, to do all we can to protect our reputation. It is not just your house, and god forbid yourself thats going to be damaged if something fails.
Food for thought.

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
Thanks for the advice. I was unsure if the orange thing was a tip that came with it.

Also, being a former carpenter (not anymore, dam housing bubble) I was used to working with a wide range of batteries. However, I am told by a ECF member the same as you. Its not a drill battery I can't just slap it on the charger over night and walk away. Which kinda sucks. How long does it take to charge these things? So I have to sit here for 3-4 hrs and watch it? What would you recommend?

Also side note... I'm thinking now I should drop the boges and just get another stardust. And I'm wondering if I really need the atty... Just when I think I have it figured out I second guess DOH!

Heh, nahh, you don't have to sit there and watch it...just need to be mindful of what could happen even if the chances are very slim (they are), and take precautions accordingly. Incidentally, i'd never leave a Li-ion drill batt charging overnight either...same potential for injury/disaster.

Despite the talk often bandied about of their China-made cheapness, the better branded of the eGo-style batts have proven to be reliable and safe when properly used, in terms of numbers of incidents. However, as Kwalka described, the only thing preventing an overcharge situation with these batts is a bit of electronics. It's inevitable that a small percentage of these electronics will fail even when properly used, due to component issue/manufacturing defect etc. and when/if that happens the battery will continue to accept current. A Li-ion will, unchecked, accept current to the point of overcharge which can and does lead to catastrophic failure. To see what that looks like, search youtube for "Li-ion explosion" or similar. Many vids exist of the results of intentional over-charging...it ain't pretty.

So...statistically, most people will never experience any issue or problem...but the few who do will experience a possibly SERIOUS problem, one with potential to cause a home-destroying fire and/or personal injury, etc. With that in mind, a few precautions are warranted. The Li-po bag is a good idea...seems like overkill until something happens. Ask any of the (statistically, not many...to reiterate) people who've had a batt go into "unintended rapid disassembly" on them if they wish they'd used one and i bet most would say "yes". I got mine when i made the move to 18500/18650 APVs, but use it all the time now...cuz, why not? Very unlikely that anything will ever happen, but...eh, ya just never know. Better safe than sorry.

As for the cartos/atty...i'd keep them in the order so you can get a better feel for vaping across the range of available methods. When i started vaping, i was "sure" cartos were gonna be the choice for me, but i ended up preferring dripping with an atty that came with a kit i bought. I dripped exclusively, for quite some time...until a new job situation made me re-investigate cartos. Now i love cartos/stardusts too, but still drip when i'm at home sometimes. Ya don't need to pick one or the other, both have their place.

Also, it's just plain fun trying out this stuff...nothing wrong with that!

Last edited:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Last edited:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
So in regards to this charging bag.

It looks like they just close with a velcro flap. If it explodes wouldn't the fire just follow the cord out of the bag to the wall?

I believe the principle is to contain the initial outgassing, which is like a hydrogen gas flamethrower. That and if there is an actual explosion, the bag can take it instead of the flammable surfaces that may be present. IMO, the cord poses a small threat, because by the time it gets to the point where the fire is following the cord, the possibly massive incident has been contained.
Keep in mind I'm a carpenter, not a chemist. Which is what were talking about here. I am speaking from what I have learned here and from talking to vendors, and watching a few youtube videos of li-ion fires.

Andante51

Nov 20, 2011
Michigan
I am glad to hear about the special bag for Li on batteries, as I became more concerned about charging Ego and Kgo batteries at night after reading all the talk following the Florida incident a couple months ago. Have meant to research what to do to make it safer, but hadn't gotten around to it. My sole safety measure up until now was to move the big roll of paper towels that usually sits right next to where the batteries are charging on a kitchen counter (ha!) just to remove a readily available super-flammable substance just inches away!

I am the person in charge of the e-cig buying and studying the boards; my hub just knows how to fill them and plug them into a charger. About 3 weeks after switching from KGO's to EGO's, I asked him for days what happened to that one silver Ego of his - I could use it for backup (as I like to vape 4 different cigs and switch between flavors constantly!) He kept telling me it was my fault, he had turned in all his Ego batts to me. Then one day he hands me a silver KGO and says it is not working properly with his one Ego Vision/Stardust. I pop one of my Visions on it, and it vapes great. He tells me his other silver KGO works fine with the carto. When he brings it to me, I almost faint, as it is an EGO, not a KGO... and he never noticed the difference! (Mostly it is the different button) So I said, you've been charging an EGO on a KGO charger every day at work? Oh sure he has.... and all I could think of was that he could have blown up a battery at work and (a) hurt himself or others (b) burned down the office full of important documents, or (c) gotten sued by his own company! Lastly, he sure would never have been able to vape in the shared non-smoking office ever again! So just a reminder if you have some less-knowledgeable friend or family vapers to always stress that they are using the proper charger designed for the battery.

Lastly, I would never ever charge an e-cig battery on my laptop - I think wall chargers are safer, and don't want to take even a remote risk of blowing up my beloved Thinkpad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread