Status
Not open for further replies.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I am glad to hear about the special bag for Li on batteries, as I became more concerned about charging Ego and Kgo batteries at night after reading all the talk following the Florida incident a couple months ago. Have meant to research what to do to make it safer, but hadn't gotten around to it. My sole safety measure up until now was to move the big roll of paper towels that usually sits right next to where the batteries are charging on a kitchen counter (ha!) just to remove a readily available super-flammable substance just inches away!

I am the person in charge of the e-cig buying and studying the boards; my hub just knows how to fill them and plug them into a charger. About 3 weeks after switching from KGO's to EGO's, I asked him for days what happened to that one silver Ego of his - I could use it for backup (as I like to vape 4 different cigs and switch between flavors constantly!) He kept telling me it was my fault, he had turned in all his Ego batts to me. Then one day he hands me a silver KGO and says it is not working properly with his one Ego Vision/Stardust. I pop one of my Visions on it, and it vapes great. He tells me his other silver KGO works fine with the carto. When he brings it to me, I almost faint, as it is an EGO, not a KGO... and he never noticed the difference! (Mostly it is the different button) So I said, you've been charging an EGO on a KGO charger every day at work? Oh sure he has.... and all I could think of was that he could have blown up a battery at work and (a) hurt himself or others (b) burned down the office full of important documents, or (c) gotten sued by his own company! Lastly, he sure would never have been able to vape in the shared non-smoking office ever again! So just a reminder if you have some less-knowledgeable friend or family vapers to always stress that they are using the proper charger designed for the battery.

Lastly, I would never ever charge an e-cig battery on my laptop - I think wall chargers are safer, and don't want to take even a remote risk of blowing up my beloved Thinkpad!

Please read the battery safety pages here. Moving the paper towel, well, what can I say? At least your conscious of that. The prob is if the overcharge protection circuit fails, that batt is going to go shooting across the room. So, you better move all the paper towel.;)
I agree 100% about the PC thing. Why add a motherboard to the equation in the case of a failure? All my batts plug into the wall and the cord leads into the Li-Po bag.
You know the more I think about it the batt saf pages here are more for APV/mod batts. Heres a quick rundown:
-NEVER leave batts unattended, or go to sleep, while on charger
-Let all batts rest at least 1hr before and after each charge/discharge cycle.
-Always use the proper charger, no ifs, ands, of butts (pun intended), There are reputable vendors out there who sell 510 chargers that look exactly the same as an eGo charger. The eGo will even thread on it, however it is wrong!
-Pay attention to how long it takes to get a green light, that way you'll know if an overcharging event is occurring
-Keep the threads clean. I keep Q-tips in my little PV area. Every time I go to put a batt on charge I give the threads a once over.
-Once a week I take 91% rub Alcohol and dip the Q-tip and clean the threads well. Always let sit for at least 20 mins to evaporate.
-If you drop a batt and it impacts a hard surface with any force, it goes in the recycle bin.
These are what I can think of off the top of my head. I am still having my 1st coffee here. These apply to eGo/KGO batts, APV or mod batts have a lot more, and more important rules that must be researched before anybody ventures into that realm.
Advanced Personal Vaporizer + Wrong Batts = EXPLOSION
Do your homework if your going to buy anything that has removable batts!!!
I hope this helps, please feel free to ask away. Thats why were here.
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread