easy way for newcomers to find e-cig information

Status
Not open for further replies.

plewm

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2011
South Africa
just a heads up for those who don't know this already..

instead of using the forum's search (can be painful), you can do this:

google.com --> "site:e-cigarette-forum.com [your search term or phrase]"

-----------
examples of what has worked well for me:

site:e-cigarette-forum.com "650mah or 900mah"
site:e-cigarette-forum.com "international shipping"
site:e-cigarette-forum.com "one stop shop"
-----------

(i'm definitely guilty of posting duplicate questions so this post is also aimed at me :)

madison360

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Emerald Isle, NC
My husband and I made the decision a few days ago to go smokeless. I spent most of the day yesterday doing research and have to admit that when I first came to this forum, I almost had a meltdown...BUT I am so glad that it is here. I was in the midst of sensory overload when I finally bit the bullet and ordered us both 510's from AquaVapor. I got regular Marl flavor for him and menthol for me. I don't smoke menthol, but I honestly hate the taste of tobacco, I am addicted to nicotine, so I am hoping that menthol will give me more of a "minty" flavor and NOT a tobacco flavor.

I really want this to be a successful transition for us. I am already realizing that we will need more batteries, etc. and our first shipments are not even here yet. I am nervous because my husband has a 2 ppd habit and although it was his suggestion to go electronic, he doesn't seem to have much enthusiasm for learning about it. Reading that this alternative only has about a 50% success rate scares me a bit. He is usually the tech guru in our household so I am hoping that until he decides to get more involved in educating himself on this subject, he will talk to me about any frustrations he is having so that we can try to resolve it by making changes, upgrading, etc.

So, I have a feeling that I will be chiming in a lot on here. I am sorry to post this to somebody else's thread but I am a newbie and not allowed the priviledge of starting my own threads yet. I felt like this thread was pretty close to my topic since I am still in the info-gathering stage.

Any suggestions on how to support each other in a "significant other" situation and/or equipment/juices would be welcomed.:unsure:

Last edited:

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Hi Madison- Welcome!

Glad that you're already getting backups. The best advice that i have is to ask lots of questions, read a lot, go easy on each other, and give it time. There's a learning curve and you'll each go through it at your own pace. Some people switch immediately, for others it takes longer (it took me about 6 weeks to switch, but then again, i wasn't trying to quit.. )

The 50% success rate for e-cigs is still better than the 4-10% for traditional NRTs. Even better, the success rate for people who stay with ECF runs closer to 80%

Hope to see you around a lot :)

plewm

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2011
South Africa
My husband and I made the decision a few days ago to go smokeless. I spent most of the day yesterday doing research and have to admit that when I first came to this forum, I almost had a meltdown...BUT I am so glad that it is here. I was in the midst of sensory overload when I finally bit the bullet and ordered us both 501's from AquaVapor. I got regular Marl flavor for him and menthol for me. I don't smoke menthol, but I honestly hate the taste of tobacco, I am addicted to nicotine, so I am hoping that menthol will give me more of a "minty" flavor and NOT a tobacco flavor.

I really want this to be a successful transition for us. I am already realizing that we will need more batteries, etc. and our first shipments are not even here yet. I am nervous because my husband has a 2 ppd habit and although it was his suggestion to go electronic, he doesn't seem to have much enthusiasm for learning about it. Reading that this alternative only has about a 50% success rate scares me a bit. He is usually the tech guru in our household so I am hoping that until he decides to get more involved in educating himself on this subject, he will talk to me about any frustrations he is having so that we can try to resolve it by making changes, upgrading, etc.

So, I have a feeling that I will be chiming in a lot on here. I am sorry to post this to somebody else's thread but I am a newbie and not allowed the priviledge of starting my own threads yet. I felt like this thread was pretty close to my topic since I am still in the info-gathering stage.

Any suggestions on how to support each other in a "significant other" situation and/or equipment/juices would be welcomed.:unsure:

don't apologise. you'll find that everyone on this forum is patient. i was exactly at that overwhelmed stage that you're at just a week ago, but then the pieces started to fit. i promise you'll have many "aha" moments if you just calmly go through this forum. filter out the opinionated/marketing posts ;p

i'm sure you can start your own thread? 'New Members Forum'

madison360

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Emerald Isle, NC
Thanks CES!! I really am excited about it and the more reading and research I do, the more I think that this is going to be the PERFECT alternative for me. HATE smoking, HATE the taste, HATE the smell...so I am already looking at sites that folks here have recommended for flavors and DIY mixing. I guess I have already become as fascinated by all of this as my husband is with his DROID phone *wink*. I think it will also be a good alternative for hubby if he will give it a chance and get involved with learning more about it. Thru reading, I am thinking that he may need a higher level of nicotine than we originally ordered for him in order to be successful, so I have encouraged him to talk to me about any challenges he is having. I also think that a "drip tip" (although baffled when I first read the term, I watched some videos and I get it now) will probably be our next investment. I DID read enough prior to ordering to realize that we wanted to go refillable from the beginning, so this forum has already helped me so much and I have only been here two days. I appreciate the welcome, all of the information (although it seriously almost FRIED my brain at first) and look forward to getting to know everyone here and having your support!

madison360

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Emerald Isle, NC
plewm, I may be able to start my own thread. I honestly didn't try it. When I logged in, there were a list of limitations at the bottom of the page and one of them said that I could not start my own thread, but I was not in the "New Members Forum," so that may be the reason. Thanks for the support. It makes me feel better to know that you were in my shoes just a week ago and are already getting it figured out. If you had been anywhere near me yesterday, I think you could have actually smelled my gray matter cooking!! :D

Icoth

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
CA
Hi Madison

I'm not sure which bundle you picked, but if you're only getting 10 ml of liquid each that probably won't last too long. You might want to use Plewm's search tip and find a thread that list vendors offering sampler packs. I'd recommend trying lots of different flavors. You can also try different nic levels and PG/VG mixes.

madison360

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Emerald Isle, NC
Thanks Icoth! I am getting that figured out. I was so overwhelmed yesterday that I was afraid that I would be paralyzed and put off ordering. I took in as much as I could and placed the order. Yep, our original order is only coming with 10ml of liquid each. I am still gathering info and figuring out what else we are going to need, when we are going to need it and budgeting for it. Thankfully, I am finding that there are several companies here in NC that seem to have good ratings so that will cut down on shipping time. I appreciate the feedback. After a good night's sleep, things are falling into place for me, but I have to admit that the first things I did this morning were 1) check the status of our order and 2) come to this forum. That was three hours ago! ;)

Icoth

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
CA
I'm not sure shipping time is the problem with liquid. It takes time for vendors that don't premix their liquids (and many of the best don't) to actually make your order. This gives you a lot of choices as far as flavor, nic level and PG/VG mix but adds time. To be on the safe side, I'd expect a juice order to take at least several days longer than a hardware order. A lot of juices also take some time to steep to taste their best.

madison360

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Emerald Isle, NC
Thanks for the info. Checking into options on another tab right now. I am going to order a higher nicotine level for the hubby. I am finding out that we can dilute if needed but he currently gets up at night to smoke, so I am thinking that a higher level is a safe bet for him. Also looking at flavors, especially for me since I am not going to mourn the loss of the taste of an analog one BIT! :D

Puffadder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2011
Punta Gorda Belize / NJ
I am hoping that until he decides to get more involved in educating himself on this subject, he will talk to me about any frustrations he is having so that we can try to resolve it by making changes, upgrading, etc.

That will be the key as it seems may be be a little bit unsure of this. We have all experienced frustrations when starting out and understanding what someone doesn't like is often the key to finding what they do like. Well that and a LOT of trial and error sometimes too!

Also don't worry too much about the spending in the beginning as trying to figure out what works for you can add up quickly. Once you find it though it will pay for itself just as quickly and you can always sell some of the stuff that didn't work in the classifieds of join up with the Pay-it-Forward community here to help out others.

GiddyLydia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2010
Kentucky
Hi Madison,

Mainly just just hang in , ask questions without worrying too much if they've been asked before. Vent and whine as needed. Complain about your husband --we won't tell! If your transition from "analogs" to e-cigs is as stunning and painless for you as mine has been for me you may not have to try to convince your husband of anything.

Also, know that your learning curve will probably cost more than you want it to. You could drop between, say, twenty and a hundred dollars on stuff that isn't right for you, or stuff you will "outgrow" within weeks. Just plan on it now so it won't stop you when it happens. It could really, truly be the best money you ever wasted.

Last edited:

madison360

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Emerald Isle, NC
Thanks, GiddyLydia. This forum is awesome and everyone is so supportive and helpful. My brains were seriously fried when I first got on here -- information overload. But, I am starting to understand the terms and really appreciate having such a wealth of information to pull from. The hubby and I spend about $300 a month on tobacco, so I am sure that gives us enough of a budget to get to our sweet spot! If we get off of cigarettes and onto a safer alternative, I won't consider one penny of it wasted. :D

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Madison, I was a 3 pack a day smoker up until last Friday, when I got my first PV. (I got an eGo.) Had never had any luck getting off the cigs.

Over the 5-6 days I've had it, I'm averaging (and it's been very consistent) about a pack a day. After meals, the vaporizer doesn't quite do it, and I'm obviously still smoking some. But it's been a big help, and I expect it to get better. Hopefully, I'll get off them for good.

From a budget standpoint, if they cut my weekly cigs in half (and so far, it's averaging way better than that) then my cost to get the batteries, kit, fluids, etc, I'll be ahead on $ in 2-3 weeks.

And I'm smoking a lot less, and more at times I choose instead of more or less keeping one lit all the time. :)

You'll probably have some questions - but that's why the community here is so great. Everyone is trying to help. You didn't just buy a PV, you just got a whole pile of people who want to help you quit smoking. That's pretty darn cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread