Seeking Advice on Replacement for e-Cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2018
Greetings to all!

I suspect that my questions have been asked many times before, yet a couple of searches did not yield the information I am seeking. My apologies if I am being unnecessarily repetitive.

I am subsisting on a SSDI pension, which leaves precious little for life's 'little extras'. I purchased an eLeaf Aster Total kit to try vaping as a more cost effective replacement for smoking. In that respect, my test has been successful, however I seem to have chosen a brand that isn't very popular, at least where I live (Iowa). I was/am trying to find a local supplier for replacement coils and while there are a couple of vape shops I have yet to contact, I am beginning to see the writing on the wall that if I want to be able to buy replacement parts and mods locally, I need to choose a different brand of e-cigarette.

One very helpful person suggested that I choose from among more 'mainstream' brands. He mentioned smok, iJoy, Vaporesso, and Aspire. My budget for a replacement is 50.00. That seems a reasonable sum to me for a new kit and possibly a few replacement coils.

Here is my question: Of the brands mentioned, is there one that is technologically superior to the others? Additionally, can the more experienced vapers suggest a brand and perhaps model that is modest in cost, but will allow me to upgrade it over time? One of the drawbacks that I have found with the e-cigarette I chose is that it is limited to only one coil type, and not a very powerful one at that. I certainly don't need a bunch of 'bells and whistles', but neither do I want to be replacing e-cigarettes on a regular basis.

Any advice based on facts, or even opinions based on long term experience will be most welcome indeed!

I thank everyone in advance.

Reactions: Letitia

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You could use a different, more popular tank on your current battery device, but it is only a 25 watt 1600 mAh battery. Something like an Aspire Nautilus Mini tank. Most vape shops should carry that tank and its coils.

Aspire Nautilus Mini - 2ml
  • 510 Threaded
  • Uses the new BVC atomizer
  • Adjustable Airflow
  • Approximately 2ml Capacity
  • Dimensions: 2-7/8"L x 3/4"D (with drip tip)
List Price: $35.99
Our Price: $23.99
In Stock

star4.5.gif
(384)​

If you desire a more powerful complete setup, the Innokin Kroma and Zenith tank combo would provide you with 75 watts and 2000 mah. This is a popular setup that most vape shops should carry. The Zenith tank and coils are particularly good.

Innokin Kroma-A with Zenith Starter Kit

List Price: $49.99
star4.5.gif
(33)​

Some other suggestions here: Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

I would also suggest that you shop online for your gear. Some shops have a 50 - 80% markup on mods, tanks, and coils. It will be far cheaper for you to order online, you just have to plan ahead so that you don't run out of coils.

For your own sake, don't buy anything made by SMOK.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If you are capable of ordering online you can just keep vaping your aster AIO. It’s unfortunate you didn’t get the non AIO version of the aster because then all you’d need is a new atty but water under the bridge. It is possible to order stuff THROUGH some vape shops as well. If they KNOW you’re going to buy an item they can probably get it.

As to a new device the standard advice here is anything but SMOK. SMOK has a terrible reliability reputation. Mods frequently last as little as a few weeks.

If you’re on ssdi you probably have some physical limitations, so I don’t know how viable these suggestions are, but diy juice and using an rba and wrapping your own coils can also save vast amounts of money. Copious advice on how to do these things is available on this site

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Online buying will definitely be cheaper.

As people provide suggestions...search the internet and review them. If you have questions, just come back here and ask them. Answers are all over the place, so to speak, and we will help you find them.

Just stick to your $50 limit and see what people point you to.

Also, are you really just intent on getting off cigs? If so, things can be simpler. Myself, starting that way, kept it simple but, also, had spares. I never wanted to be caught without and feeling that I will just run by the 7-11 for a pack of cigs.

Good luck!

Reactions: VapourFlavour

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I don't suggest this often, as I feel it usually happens when the person is ready. But...

You seem like a reasonably intelligent person. You're on SSDI so I assume you have some time on your hands. And you're cost sensitive.

You may be a candidate for rebuilding. For something like $5 in wire and $5 in cotton you would have a year's supply -- something i'm sure is much cheaper than constantly buying coils. It also has a lot of play, you can customize the experience to your preference. The performance difference between a cheap RTA and a expensive RTA is noticeable, but no where near as far apart as you will find with drop in coil tanks. You could get a budget RTA.

Ordering from China, i'd imagine you could get a clone RTA that will last you years and enough cotton and wire to make coils nearly into 2020, for something like $25.

SXK Doggy Style @ $11.49
SXK Doggystyle 2K16 Style Silver 3.5ml RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer

10 clapton coils @ $1.99 (each should last you 2-4 weeks)
Authentic Coil Father 0.45ohm Fused Clapton Coils Kanthal A1 Wire

30 pieces of cotton @ $2.99 (each should last you about a week)
Buy Authentic Demon Killer Slacker Cotton Hardcover 30PCS

Free shipping on the above as it's over $15. These are prewrapped coils and agleted cotton - super easy to install. I picked those because I don't know what your dexterity is like.

Then for a mod anything over 30W should do. Your usage won't be that rough, so you don't need to spend a lot.

Either this Tesla Invader @ $28.99 ($17 off regular price but you need 2 batteries)
Authentic Tesla Invader 2/3 240W/360W Silver 3~8V 18650 VV Box Mod

Or this iStick Pico 75W @ $29.99 would work great (1 battery)
Authentic Eleaf iStick Pico Black 75W TC VW Variable Wattage Box Mod

For your usage, I would probably go with a pico. The pico will comfortably do 60W with a decent battery. If you decide to upgrade later you will be able to. Unless you want to start cloud chasing, you shouldn't outgrow it.

Last edited:

Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2018
Thank you to everyone who has shared their thoughts with me on this topic! I am most appreciative! I am especially grateful for the advice about the Smok brand as I was giving serious consideration to getting my replacement rig from them. Boy! Was THAT a close shave! I have spent nearly the entire day looking into this matter and this is what I have come up with. See what you all think. At this point, I think I'm going to go with a Joyetech eVic VTwo with CUBIS Pro Full Kit. I can get one from a seller here in the states for about 40.00. That includes a Sony VTC 4 battery and three different heads. Unfortunately none of them are rebuildable, but more on that later.

The seller recommends (as does Joyetech) Joyetech's NotchCoil 0.25ohm DL coil. The Cubis Pro atomizer will accept a BF Replacement Coil, a BF RBA Head, a QCS Head and a LVC Clapton MTL Head in addition to the recommended NotchCoil head that is recommended. Also,I can order 5 NotchCoil 0.25ohm DL coils as replacements for around 12.00 from another seller in the states. So, for the price of a carton of cigarettes, I'll be set for at least a month (or maybe more).

Then next month, I can look into buying an decent quality RDA, some wire and cotton as well as a cheap tool kit and get into building my own coils. Truth be told, since I became disabled, I have spent a lot of time figuring out how to make what I need out of whatever is handy. In the process, I have become (as some of my friends claim) a Master Tinkerer. And as to making my own e-juice, why hell yes! I'm already fiddling around mixing different flavors that I have bought (there's a shop within walking distance where I can get 5, 20ml bottles of e-juice for 10.00). With me college background in chemistry, biology and health sciences and my already growing interest in essential oils, I may have to set up my own little factory or something! (Just kidding...or am I?)

Anywho, If anyone would care to opine on my plan as far as the e-gig rig I have in mind, by all means, let me know your mind! Better I find out before hand if my choice is a bad one!)

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Thank you to everyone who has shared their thoughts with me on this topic! I am most appreciative! I am especially grateful for the advice about the Smok brand as I was giving serious consideration to getting my replacement rig from them. Boy! Was THAT a close shave! I have spent nearly the entire day looking into this matter and this is what I have come up with. See what you all think. At this point, I think I'm going to go with a Joyetech eVic VTwo with CUBIS Pro Full Kit. I can get one from a seller here in the states for about 40.00. That includes a Sony VTC 4 battery and three different heads. Unfortunately none of them are rebuildable, but more on that later.

The seller recommends (as does Joyetech) Joyetech's NotchCoil 0.25ohm DL coil. The Cubis Pro atomizer will accept a BF Replacement Coil, a BF RBA Head, a QCS Head and a LVC Clapton MTL Head in addition to the recommended NotchCoil head that is recommended. Also,I can order 5 NotchCoil 0.25ohm DL coils as replacements for around 12.00 from another seller in the states. So, for the price of a carton of cigarettes, I'll be set for at least a month (or maybe more).

Then next month, I can look into buying an decent quality RDA, some wire and cotton as well as a cheap tool kit and get into building my own coils. Truth be told, since I became disabled, I have spent a lot of time figuring out how to make what I need out of whatever is handy. In the process, I have become (as some of my friends claim) a Master Tinkerer. And as to making my own e-juice, why hell yes! I'm already fiddling around mixing different flavors that I have bought (there's a shop within walking distance where I can get 5, 20ml bottles of e-juice for 10.00). With me college background in chemistry, biology and health sciences and my already growing interest in essential oils, I may have to set up my own little factory or something! (Just kidding...or am I?)

Anywho, If anyone would care to opine on my plan as far as the e-gig rig I have in mind, by all means, let me know your mind! Better I find out before hand if my choice is a bad one!)
Unfortunately, i can't really help with non rebuildable devices, luckily though i can tell you one thing : rebuilding when one has time or likes tinkering can get fun and cheap. For tools though you don't need much, i myself only possess a few like a coil jig kit from coil master, a pair of angled tweezer for wicking those coils, ceramic ones if you make contact coils and a pair of wire clippers. If you ever search for an rda, i highly recommend a single coil such as the Drop solo or the Recurve Rda, both have great reviews over here on ecf and since they're single coil take much less time to build or rewick.

Reactions: bombastinator

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
I think I'm going to go with a Joyetech eVic VTwo with CUBIS Pro Full Kit.... I can get one from a seller here in the states for about 40.00. That includes a Sony VTC 4 battery and three different heads. Unfortunately none of them are rebuildable, but more on that later...
BF coils = popular, available everywhere, special bargains when ordering from china (=50% to 40% of what you pay locally).

Plus, they work well by themselves, meaning with an unregulated mod. Infact, you won't benefit from running the Cubis Pro, even with the Notch coil, on a bigger (more expensive) regulated mod like the VTwo. The AIO Pro C was made for all of these coils, and it only costs $20. But it's a tube, so it's not after everyone's taste.

Plus, an BF RBA coil is generally available for purchase (and already part of some of the kits the Cubis Pro is sold with, so do look at the content list of the pack you're about to buy). This is the only occasion where the Pro C is limited (to 0.2ohms lowest coil resistance), as opposed to the VTwo Mini (down to 0.15ohms lowest coil resistance in VW/Bypass mode, and 0.05ohms in Temperature mode).

The JT BF 0.25ohm notch coil = a precious little beast. Spits hot juice at anyone who doesn't draw exactly the right way. That combined with the short chimney of the Cubis Pro = The reason why many people curse at the Cubis Pro. I like it for its versatility, but even I use the spiralled (=anti-spit) drip tip when I got the notch coils in.

The battery.. you don't need a VTC4. None of the BF coils require such a hard hitter. Instead, you would benefit from 2 moderate batteries with larger capacity, like the Sony VTC5A/6 or the LG HG2.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Sub ohm'g ?
Might like to read some commentaries on sub-ohm vaping:
What Ohms should I choose?
How is sub-ohm vaping dangerous?
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
https://spinfuel.com/sub-ohm-vaping/
Non sub ohm'g may be less costly.
Kanger EVOD 2 Starter Kit could be the best two for one offer out there. You get two complete mods which gives you an emergency backup.
Might want to try the search function in upper right hand corner of this post. Could type in "Evod Starter Kit".
re: Kanger EVOD 2 Starter Kit

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Sub ohm'g ?
Might like to read some commentaries on sub-ohm vaping:
What Ohms should I choose?
How is sub-ohm vaping dangerous?
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
https://spinfuel.com/sub-ohm-vaping/
Non sub ohm'g may be less costly.
Kanger EVOD 2 Starter Kit could be the best two for one offer out there. You get two complete mods which gives you an emergency backup.
Might want to try the search function in upper right hand corner of this post. Could type in "Evod Starter Kit".
re: Kanger EVOD 2 Starter Kit
Good advice! That Kanger 2 is quite similar to the gear I've returned to after an 18 month expedition thru the land of subohm. Subohm really started getting to my lungs that had been battered by 50 years of smoking.
Right now tho I'm totally thrilled with a pod system that I won back on 9/19. I've only had it in my possession for almost a week and already plan on it being my main vape for the future.

Zero Kit By Renova Vapor

Last edited:

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Cubis pro tank was not well received, lack flavor and is just overall not a good performer.
Never experienced the Cubis Pro but did despise the BF coil. Didn't mention cuz the coils in his Aster are same design just tinier. He expressed no complaints about them other than being unavailable.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
What do you folks have against BF coils? It's because they're small, innit?

Now, seriously: BF coils -> 1.5ohm MTL, 1.0ohm MTL, 0.6ohm MTL, 0.5ohm DL, 0.25ohm DL.. versatility is key. And if you think that the notch coil is too smol to generate proper vapor...

And as much as I like my Big Baby Beast coils, but the AIO Pro C with BF coils is still my standard out-of-house device I carry with me. It's a proper little vape for equally little $.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
What do you folks have against BF coils? It's because they're small, innit?

Now, seriously: BF coils -> 1.5ohm MTL, 1.0ohm MTL, 0.6ohm MTL, 0.5ohm DL, 0.25ohm DL.. versatility is key. And if you think that the notch coil is too smol to generate proper vapor...

And as much as I like my Big Baby Beast coils, but the AIO Pro C with BF coils is still my standard out-of-house device I carry with me. It's a proper little vape for equally little $.

I myself have never seen a notch coil that didn’t leak. I understand that experience is not universal though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread