Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don't think nic-patches and nic-gums are vasoconstrictors, unless someone likes to smoke those things.
Blood level is blood level I doubt the method of introduction matters much. How much of one they are seems to be under contention at the moment though

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Thanks for the article :) reading it there is a graph half way down which is quite disturbing to me. The device they did testing on is not the one they are marketing. The “commercial” version is three times as potent as the tested one and has a sharper peak than an analog.

If memory serves drugs with short sharp euphoria peaks are more addictive. Crack for example is a ....... lake. The drug is exactly the same, it’s just coated around soda(?) particles in much the same fashion as an artificial dye is turned into a paint (Its a weird analogy, but I went to art school. This is how it made sense to me). What this does is make the entire dose flash off at once then disappear. Making a sharper angle on the graph. The fact that the change was made between approval and marketing imho looks like evidence that it was designed to addict.

No, it's that they promise a big hit but don't deliver it in actual practice. Also, as I said: "Nicotine addiction" is a lie http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3116468/ that "could only be sustained by systematically ignoring all contradictory evidence."

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
This is possible. However possibility is not fact. I do concede you may be correct though. Scientific tests are generally performed with the greatest degree of accuracy possible, no matter what load they are testing. For example wing stress tests on commercial aircraft are measured to the gram even though the total number is in metric tons. (This comes from a memory of a documentary of the process I watched. They actually bent the wing till it snapped in half. The break point was also within an inch of where the engineers predicted it would happen

Well then, nicotine vasodilation would be a gram, while scratching your nose would be the metric ton. Just standing up causes an even bigger commotion in your vascular beds.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
With nicotine gum and lozenges it's quite common to swallow some nicotine inadvertently and that can upset people's stomachs (not mine, but I have a stomach of steel). This can happen while vaping too, often if there's spitback or flooding, but most people who have choked on something or accidentally tried to inhale something they were chewing (I have done both) know that the respiratory system and the gastrointestinal system aren't quite as "divided" as one might think. You can also get nic juice on you when you are filling, and wind up accidentally tasting that.

Some vapers do have trouble when transitioning with "swallowing" e-liquid various ways.

I don't really have much more to say about this study other than I think it was flawed, unethical, oh I could go on with the comments, but I'm done with it.

This particular study doesn't leave me all worried about the effects of nicotine on my cardiovascular system, I let MY docs worry about that, not Glantz. He's not even a doctor. And yes, the Juul is potent, and out of all devices I could see it leading to a nicotine dependency.

With that said, all brains are different, and some will find it easier to stop vaping than others regardless of whether it's' the Juul or another device.

I completely understand (and to an extent, agree with) the concept that a nicotine dependence is as easily dealt with as a coffee addiction. I would probably have a hard time giving up coffee, although I've done it before. My brain just likes to addict itself to anything nearby to hand, so I'm just glad it's not cigarettes any more and if at some point I have to give up vaping because my doctors tell me to, I will deal with it then. Etc.

I don't think the Juul is "more addictive" than other vapes, it's just the vape of the moment. Just like with anything those who choose to use it will have a difficult time... Or not, depending on their brain chemistry, addiction level, or whatever else. Etc. I don't think it requires school conferences or other valuable time, but I am of the short who considers "addiction/dependence" a part of life for some people in some form for everything. Better the Juul than tobacco is what I walk away with. If I were offered a Juul or a pack of smokers, I would choose the Juul. But, that's me, where I'm at now and probably EVEN in today's environment as a teen, I'd probably desire to smoke cigarettes more, because I was "that type" of teen. I didn't sorta decide to start smoking at 18, I had "smoked" before, it was just that someone taught me to inhale.

Anna

Reactions: Rossum

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
No, it's that they promise a big hit but don't deliver it in actual practice. Also, as I said: "Nicotine addiction" is a lie http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3116468/ that "could only be sustained by systematically ignoring all contradictory evidence."
Ah. I see. As to the nicotine addiction is a lie thing as this forum is filled with people trying and often failing to stop smokin and/or vaping General personal experience itself is going to provide some pushback on that one.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well then, nicotine vasodilation would be a gram, while scratching your nose would be the metric ton. Just standing up causes an even bigger commotion in your vascular beds.
So are you saying that the noticability of nicotine vasoconstriction actually IS overwhelmed by minor environmental behavior? or that it is merely implied by the sensitivity of the testing methodology?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
She can chew her food.

If you chew nicotine gum, some of the nicotine is going to be swallowed. PERIOD. Some stomachs can handle a bit of nicotine, others cannot.

I don't get why you are obsessing on this @marianna . The reasons that nicotine gum and lozenges can upset stomachs are well known. Occasionally, vaping can do the same thing under the right circumstances.

If I were dipping and/or chewing my cigarettes, the exact same thing would happen. Some nicotine would probably make it's way down to my digestive system. This is a pretty well known event, and for a long time.

It has nothing to do with the ability to chew. It is what HAPPENS when one chews something and saliva is produced, leading to swallowing (whatever amount) of nicotine that one is chewing on, although the majority of it DOES get absorbed by the mucosal membranes of the mouth, chewing nicotine is enough to upset the stomachs of SOME PEOPLE.

It's far less frequent in vaping, but with the wrong technique, gastrointestinal upset can occur as well. Vapor and smoke are much harder to eat/swallow is all.

It's pretty simple. I hope this clears it up. There is no need for someone to "defend" their stance that nicotine gum upsets their stomach. It is a well known effect.

Anna

marianna

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
Netherlands
This particular study doesn't leave me all worried about the effects of nicotine on my cardiovascular system, I let MY docs worry about that, not Glantz. He's not even a doctor.

I completely understand (and to an extent, agree with) the concept that a nicotine dependence is as easily dealt with as a coffee addiction. I would probably have a hard time giving up coffee, although I've done it before. My brain just likes to addict itself to anything nearby to hand, so I'm just glad it's not cigarettes any more.....

I could not agree more!

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
So are you saying that the noticability of nicotine vasoconstriction actually IS overwhelmed by minor environmental behavior? or that it is merely implied by the sensitivity of the testing methodology?

Absolutely yes, nicotine vasoconstriction is trivial.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Ah. I see. As to the nicotine addiction is a lie thing as this forum is filled with people trying and often failing to stop smokin and/or vaping General personal experience itself is going to provide some pushback on that one.

When I try to post a link to something showing what real addiction looks like, the moderators delete it and say it's a forbidden topic. So people will have to search it for themselves.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Nicotine: The Helpful Drug With the Bad Reputation - Vaping360

The question of nicotine addiction is almost hopelessly confused by the fact that most studies of nicotine dependence were for a long time studies of smokers. It’s a relatively recent thing that scientists have looked at how addictive nicotine is without the supercharged delivery of inhaled smoke.

Much of that research came after the introduction of nicotine replacement therapies (NRT) like the nicotine patch and gum, and later vaping. In fact, that research led the FDA to conclude that over-the-counter (OTC) nicotine products are probably not addictive at all. The agency notes on its website, “although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence.”

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Nicotine: The Helpful Drug With the Bad Reputation - Vaping360

The question of nicotine addiction is almost hopelessly confused by the fact that most studies of nicotine dependence were for a long time studies of smokers. It’s a relatively recent thing that scientists have looked at how addictive nicotine is without the supercharged delivery of inhaled smoke.

Much of that research came after the introduction of nicotine replacement therapies (NRT) like the nicotine patch and gum, and later vaping. In fact, that research led the FDA to conclude that over-the-counter (OTC) nicotine products are probably not addictive at all. The agency notes on its website, “although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence.”
I think the financial interests of Big Pharma are the real reason their products aren't deemed addictive. That plus the fact you can't tell (internally) that you're using them in the first place.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I think the financial interests of Big Pharma are the real reason their products aren't deemed addictive. That plus the fact you can't tell (internally) that you're using them in the first place.

I might tend to agree, but there are several studies that put the addiction on other substances in cigarettes which interact with nicotine to create addiction, when in the absence of those other substances, nicotine doesn't have the same effect.
Vaping News: Harvard study shows nicotine is not addictive
A study of pyrazines in cigarettes and how additives might be used to enhance tobacco addiction

That said, one could the reason for those studies is to promote the financial interests of Big Pharma.

But my personal experience in vaping vs. smoking (also commented by many here) is that I can go much longer without vaping whereas with smoking, I'd take all precautions to never run out of cigarettes under any circumstance.

Now (9th year vaping) I could go zero nic, but I happen to like the positive aspects of nicotine - anti-Alzheimer's, anti-Parkinson's, anti-inflammatory aspect, and the 'relaxed focus' that it provides me.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I wish they'd focus more on how to keep kids safe in schools, honestly. I don't care how many Juuls are in a teenager's backpack.

I DO care about how many guns make their way into "safe spaces" we believe we have created for our children, when in fact they are the opposite.

I'm sorry, if I were say, at war, I wouldn't put my kid in a "safe space" surrounded by teachers and no guns, I'd want some place fortified and heavily armed, with guards and teachers armed and trained to respond.

Just sayin'. I imagine now the FDA has stepped in with it's big "announcement" (although I guess technically, a Juul seems to be what the FDA wants a pod system with limited flavors) I imagine we won't be hearing too many more puff pieces about the Juul and teenagers for a while.

The media and teens both have short attention spans, IMHO.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread