Ecig Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpx114

Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Texas
Hi all,

Just thought I would share my experiences with ecigs as my initiation post.

I've been having nicotine related health issues and turned to ecigs. One morning, desperate for drag, I went to a local cigarette specialty store and bought the only brand of ecigs they carry: the encore ecig. Having stumbled across ECF before, I knew this wasn't going to be very good but I was desperate and they had it on sale for only $30 w/ 5 cartomizers, and all the chargers, etc. So, what the heck. I get in my car and take the first drag... And was pleasantly surprised! The flavor was slightly sweet and it tickled the back of my throat just a tiny bit. The draw was a bit hard, I always felt like I wasn't getting enough smoke and the vapor itself wasn't very warm - but, all in all not too shabby.

I use the encore ecig for the rest of the day and was able to fight off the cigarette urges. When I get home, I hop onto ECF and start researching.

I discover that my encore is a kr808d clone. Supposedly, it's parts are fully interchangeable, and is one of the more popular devices out there.

The next two days were a struggle with acronyms, brands, and confusion. ECF could really use some updates to the newbie's guides. The ones that have been posted make sense; but the moment you start reading real posts from members here, it all goes into a jumble.

Anyway, armed with just a little bit of knowledge from the forum, I found myself in a ecig shop (dragonfly) on the third day purchasing an eGo-C starter kit. The encore was still performing okay; but, I was looking for something with more heat, and more "throat hit". Needing to get off of the nicotine that was still in the pre-filled carts that came with the encore, I bought a 0mg light flavored juice. The clerk explained to me that the eGo-C has more voltage, and would deliver a warmer vapor, which would translate into more throat hit, I had thought I would be happy with what I bought. Again, I get in the car, try it out and was thoroughly disappointed! The vapor production from the eGo-C was fantastic - I just couldn't feel any of it going down my throat! It had less of a throat hit than my little kr808d clone! I'm now thinking... $100 wasted!

By the time I get home, I'm back on ECF, trying to figure out what went wrong. Certainly thousands of satisfied users can't be wrong, right?

On day 5, my encore ran out of battery and the eGo-C just wasn't doing it for me. I actually felt stupid sucking on the tip, because the experience is about the same as sucking on a straw. I broke down and bought a pack of analogues...

So now it's the 6th or 7th day. I had another analogue this morning and was surprised that I didn't enjoy it much. First, it tasted like ..., and second it made my chest feel uncomfortably heavy. After another afternoon reading through the forum, I'm starting to realize this hobby for what it is. It starts as quest to find something that can effectively replace the cigarette habit. You wade through tons of reviews, spend a small fortune trying different stuff out, deal with inconsistent performance due to poor quality control, reconcile different preferences from other users, and tinker, tinker, tinker... If you've got the patience to make it through the learning curve, you just may kick the habit and never look back. Alright, I'm game.

So going back to where I'm at... I still have faith in the eGo-C. Perhaps the problem is in the liquid. Maybe the 0mg nicotine completely kills the throat hit? Perhaps the liquid I got is just too light to generate enough flavor (ie, I can't even tell there's vapor until I breath our)? Maybe i need to buy liquid from a more specialty store? Perhaps I need to look into a lower resistance atty to heat up the vapor a little more? Maybe I should get an eGo-C Twist battery so I can boost the voltage a little bit (again, trying to warm up the vapor to get a little more throat hit)?

Or should I abandon the eGo-C altogether and go with what's working for me now? I've read that the Volt is perhaps the best kr808d style ecig. Perhaps I should invest down that route?

Or go DIY? Other vv batteries + some sort of atty + cart + tank system?

Anyway, I hope to find some guidance through these forums.

Thanks!
gpx

LKnives

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Madison, WI
www.twitch.tv
That was an interesting read, thanks for sharing. I am lucky in regards to starting off vaping. I had a co-worker who had been vaping for 2 years prior and I just talk to him about, he hooked me up the basic Volt battery, handful of cartos, and a V2 Cigs passthrough (That died shortly after I got it, oh well). Have to say it was really the passthrough cable that did it for me, good heat and throat hit and I pegged down my comfort range for Nicotine (12-18mg) right off the bat.

I hear good things about the Ego so I am sure if you do a little looking around you might find that E-liquid that is just "you" in a bottle.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
Welcome to ECF, gpx :)

Great Post!

Firstly I'd suggest you keep with what's working for you right now, If that happens to be your Encore Good!
You mention you have nicotine health issues, you also mention 0mg nic, you won't get any satisfaction from a 0mg vape, nor will you get the throat hit you're looking for. Especially if you've only just started to try giving up the Cigs.
My concerns are you need to get Nic in order to stop your Cigarette Cravings, but I don't know what the health issues are.

As far as Volt is concerned, this thread has most if not all the different KR808's mentioned and where you can get them from various vendors etc. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/323892-alternatives-smokeless-image.html

I wouldn't Abandon the Ego-C but for the moment play with it, whilst using what's working for you at present.
As far as DIY is concerned you'll get there, don't rush it, it will all happen in time.

Well done for trying to make the Switch and keep up the good work.;)

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
Throat hit with 0mg liquid isn't likely to happen. You need nicotine for a throat hit, even if it's only 6mg or so. The Ego-C is a lower voltage than your Encore (3.4 vs 3.7, I think) and that has an effect on throat hit as well. I would suggest:

1. Buy juice with some nicotine. That one cigarette you smoked has more nicotine than you'll get by vaping a low-med ejuice all day.
2. Find a more powerful ecig. The KGO, Ego Twist and Volt all have at least 3.7ohms.

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
Define your nicotine health issues please. That way we can give you better advice knowing what your health issues are.

Throat hit comes from nicotine or an additive to your 0 nic juice that simulates throat hit.

Vaping nic liquid is NOT like smoking cigs when it comes to your lungs.

We need more info from you ;)

gpx114

Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Texas
Well, it isn't so much of a health issue as it it is a fertility issue. We've been trying for a long time, and its time to start eliminating every little thing.

Anyway, I mainly crave while I'm at work. I've long since kicked the cravings after dinner/with alcohol/etc. As I peel away each habit, the remaining ones get stronger and now, I'm left with while I'm working, and while I'm driving.

As such, I'm looking for more of an "on-the-go" vape substitute -- at least for now.

I was afraid that the 0mg nic was going to be the reason I wasn't feeling anything from the ego setup. One way of looking at it, is that I should probably just get a low nic cart rather than sneaking off every now and then and getting 1mg from each analog I smoke. Another possibility is to find liquid that may be flavorful enough that I can enjoy it without the throat hit. Perhaps get a vv battery and/or a LR cartomizer to warm up the vapor a little, so it doesn't just feel like I'm sucking through a straw.

Any suggestions?

gpx

dejavoodoo

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2012
denver
I was afraid that the 0mg nic was going to be the reason I wasn't feeling anything from the ego setup. One way of looking at it, is that I should probably just get a low nic cart rather than sneaking off every now and then and getting 1mg from each analog I smoke. Another possibility is to find liquid that may be flavorful enough that I can enjoy it without the throat hit. Perhaps get a vv battery and/or a LR cartomizer to warm up the vapor a little, so it doesn't just feel like I'm sucking through a straw.

Any suggestions?

gpx

Two things in your post jumped out at me. I vaped 18 mg nic for almost 2 months but didn't really feel the TH til I increased to 24 mg. That to me feels like the real deal. I'm not sure you're gonna get what your looking for from 0 nic?

What ohm-age is your atomizer? I started with the ego-c (now using twist) and the stupid 2.8 ohm they provide with most of those kits just don't perform well with that 3.7 v battery. I switched to a LR clearomizer and found the experience was much better. This was before I got the twist.

gpx114

Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Texas
Two things in your post jumped out at me. I vaped 18 mg nic for almost 2 months but didn't really feel the TH til I increased to 24 mg. That to me feels like the real deal. I'm not sure you're gonna get what your looking for from 0 nic?

What ohm-age is your atomizer? I started with the ego-c (now using twist) and the stupid 2.8 ohm they provide with most of those kits just don't perform well with that 3.7 v battery. I switched to a LR clearomizer and found the experience was much better. This was before I got the twist.

I don't have an ohmmeter hand to measure the atty, but its the "stock" atty in the joyetech eGo-C starter kit. So, its probably that 2.8ohm you're talking about. IIRC, the eGo-C batteries are 3.4V delivering only 2.42W? That seems awful low, considering that I've read most other users are looking for 8W+.

If I were to try to lower the resistance to the battery, whats the best way to go on the ego-C? Should I buy just a LR atty? Or, should I go with a LR cartomizer? Can someone help with specific brands and where-to-buys?

dejavoodoo

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2012
denver
I don't use cartomizers so I can't really advise you there. I just go to Vision 2.0 Clearomizer and get these. They come with the 2.4 ohm and the heads are replacable so I save a bit by not having to reorder the entire assembly. I just keep re-ordering the 2.4 and even the 1.8 ohm replacement heads. My original clearo tanks are still going strong at about 2 months of heavy vaping. You can find these on most sites, I just always order here.

The first time I ordered these LR I did not tell DH (he just doesn't like change, lol) and he noticed immediately. Easier draw and a more satisfying vape. Just our experience!

Varrius

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Houston, TX
If you stick with the Ego C go down to a <2ohm resistance carto or clearo. Or, you can get a twist and use whatever, just increase the voltage until you like the vape.

A higher watt vape will definately be warmer, and some may "feel" that as a better TH also. But, like others have said, if you want a "kick in the back of the throat" TH then you need some nic in the juice.

Also, higher % VG juice has less TH, I think mainly because it mutes the nic, which also meens less nic is absorbed. What you may try is a 70/30 PG-VG juice with some nic, see if that satisfies. If so, then you can slowly either reduce the nic or PG content, both effectively reducing the amount of nic your body is absorbing.

Also keep in mind that, while I haven't seen any official studies on this, it seems to be common knowledge around here that vaping does not put as much nicotene into your body as smoking.

hottls

Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Irvine, CA
gpx114, my experience is similar to yours in that I've been analog free for 1 week. I've never tried 0mg nic but from what I've read the nic is necessary for the throat hit.

I just learned a couple of new techniques for me that helps me maximize my pleasure from my v2 as well as my eGo Twist with clearomizer that may help you.

When I'm using the v2, I first take a quick puff to prime the cartomizer then take a long, slow pull and the results are more satisfying then just trying to take a long pull from the beginning. With the eGo I find if I push the button for a half second before beginning my draw, the amount of vapor is far greater than if i push the button and draw at the same time.

I hope this helps and congratulations on quitting the analogs!

gpx114

Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Texas
So. To make sure I understand how this all works together:

If I stick with atty's and carts, I'll have a stock eGo-C setup with the 2-part atty, and the clear plastic mouthpiece/cart. I will want to find a lower resistance atty to get a warmer vape. But, no one has recommended this, so it's probably not the way to go.

Moving on the cartos, I can get something like the Boge LR's or the Smoktech 1.7 Resurrectors (which, I can't seem to find on their product website - I only see their 1.5 dual coils).

Beyond cartos, I can get a tank system, which is something like the Smoktech DCT or a Vivi Nova. These are essentially cartos with a tank mounted on it to improve capacity. Tanks help prevent burnt flavor, as they help ensure the carto (and hence the atty inside) never get dry. Tanks still work with a cartridge filled with a filler material + a wick to draw the liquid into the atty.

And, lastly there are clearomizers, which include the CE2/3/4's and Vision "stardust" that is essentially like an automatic direct dripping onto the internal atty without the use of any filler or wick.

If I understand this all correctly, any except the atty + cart will be basically only using the eGo-C as a battery. Since everything beyond that (the atty head, base, and cartridge, tapered shield) will be replaced by a carto, tank, or clearo. If I choose to get an eGo-C Twist battery, I'll actually end up using nothing from my eGo-C starter kit (though it may be useful as an emergency backup).

Did I get that all correctly? Are all the parts I mentioned above eGo threading compliant? Did I leave out any significant top performers that I should consider?

Thanks again for patiently helping out this newbie.

Gpx

QuickSwitch

Aug 7, 2012
Lexington, KY
It sounds like you've got the tools in your hands for success. From what I can tell you have your information in order for each category, except maybe the Vision clearomizer, which is more like a cartomizer than direct dripping on an atomizer (see low res atty linked below) All of the hardware you have mentioned will be compatible with an eGo threading. As far as getting a lower resistance eGo-C atty, this would make a noticeable difference but very little compared to using a good cartomizer/clearomizer/tank.

If it's any help, here are some links from AltSmoke as they've always done me right in the past (+very quick shipping being in the OH Valley). Granted, you can certainly find any of these in a number of variations at different prices all across the web, but sometimes it helps to see everything on one site:
Single Coil Cartomizers (your choice of resistance, I would recommend 1.7 or 2.0 for an eGo battery): Black & Silver

Vision Clearomizer (great choice with an eGo)

eGo Twist Battery (your current eGo charger should function just fine with this)

Finally, if you've never used a low resistance atomizer with drip tip this is one of my all time favorite ways to vape. Definitely some extra work, but simplicity + great flavor works for me when I'm in a stationary part of the day. I probably didn't do too much to clear this up for you, but let me know if I can help further. ;)

Last edited:

gpx114

Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Texas
It sounds like you've got the tools in your hands for success. From what I can tell you have your information in order for each category, except maybe the Vision clearomizer, which is more like a cartomizer than direct dripping on an atomizer (see low res atty linked below) All of the hardware you have mentioned will be compatible with an eGo threading. As far as getting a lower resistance eGo-C atty, this would make a noticeable difference but very little compared to using a good cartomizer/clearomizer/tank.

If it's any help, here are some links from AltSmoke as they've always done me right in the past (+very quick shipping being in the OH Valley). Granted, you can certainly find any of these in a number of variations at different prices all across the web, but sometimes it helps to see everything on one site:
Single Coil Cartomizers (your choice of resistance, I would recommend 1.7 or 2.0 for an eGo battery): Black & Silver

Vision Clearomizer (great choice with an eGo)

eGo Twist Battery (your current eGo charger should function just fine with this)

Finally, if you've never used a low resistance atomizer with drip tip this is one of my all time favorite ways to vape. Definitely some extra work, but simplicity + great flavor works for me when I'm in a stationary part of the day. I probably didn't do too much to clear this up for you, but let me know if I can help further. ;)

Thanks for the info.

I've noticed that the cartomizers listed on altsmoke show that there are single coil and dual coil.

For example, the Clear Dual Coil XL 510 Cartomizers are at 1.6ohms, and the 510 Dual Coil - XL Cartomizers are at 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 ohms.

Given that single coil cartomizers offer resistances in the same range (like the Smoktech 1.7 ohm you linked), what are the performance differences between single coil and dual coil? I assume its simply a matter of how warm the vapor gets?

Its interesting to note that the product info says that the dual coils are not meant to be used on eGo devices, and are designed for 3.7V devices that can handle up to 2.0A. But, an ego-c twist batter clearly falls within these criteria.

Also, these mention the 510 -- which is another type of ecig. Are the 510 threading and eGo threading compatible?

At present, I think I'm going to start off with a set of plain old cartomizers. I am merely debated whether I should get the Smoktech 1.7ohm and use it with my standard 3.4 ego-c battery, or go with a dual coil cartomizer and go ahead and buy a ego-c twisted battery that is capable of higher voltages and current.

That, and I'm going to go ahead and invest into the Volts for when I don't want to deal with the larger devices (or for when I want to be more inconspicuous).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread